Fruit - How much is too much?

Options
What is everyone's opinion on fruit? I'm just wondering if there is/should be a limit on the amount of servings of fruit a person has in a day. Also, does it matter when you eat the fruit (morning vs. night)? Does it depend on the person?

Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    In my weight loss phase of my program, I do not eat any fruit. It has too much sugar in it that would hinder my loss. However, when I reach goal, I will definitely eat small amounts of it as I maintain my weight loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to get 5-7 servings for fruit and veggies, that being said, more than half should come from veggies. If you eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies, you should have 2 fruit at the most. If you eat 7 servings 3 could be from fruit. This is due to the higher sugar, lower fiber that comes from most fruit vs veggies. And most fruit does not have the same vitamins and minerals as their veggie counterparts.

So an easy answer would be 1-3/day depending on your diet.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am sure you can eat too much of anything. If we need 7 servings of fruits and veggies a day, I would say we should probably get half from veggies and half from fruit. I am guessing, but I would think only people who have blood sugar problems have to monitor their fruit intake closer. I think 4 or 5 servings a day wouldn't be too bad. as long as you are getting enough of everything else, and staying at a healthy calorie intake.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Honestly I love it, but I do try to limit it to two or three servings a day. The sugar in fruit isn't the same as say, table sugar, so unless you are diabetic or pre diabetic I wouldn't think that there's any reason to completely avoid it.

That being said if you're really concerned I would meet with a nutritionist / dietician.
  • freshmenthesis
    freshmenthesis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I could not tell you the source now but I do remember reading that it is ideal to eat fruit in the morning.
    I have done research on MFP forums to find out about the sugar in fruit. Most sources seem to agree that you can ignore the sugar count in fruit since it is not a bad sugar.
    Based on my current knowledge, I do not see a need for limiting fruit (but I am a vegan vegetarian). The way I see it is fruit is one of the healthiest things you can eat and eating a variety of fruits is even better for you so if you are staying within your calorie and carb goals and getting all of your necessary protein, etc from other foods more fruit can only be better.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you can eat too much fruit per se. However, fruit has calories, so you need to count it just like anything else. The good thing about fruit is that it is full of fiber and nutrients. It helps you stay fuller longer and it gives you that "sweet" in a natural way.

You are supposed to have 5-8 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. I usually have 2-4 servings of fruit each day.

Really, if you are deciding whether to have a piece of fruit or a "diet" ice cream, the fruit is the better choice. But, if you really want the ice cream and are going to feel deprived not having it, then the ice cream is what you should eat--never let yourself feel deprived. That's my motto anyway.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMP...Good Question...i guess it depends on you. Fruit has natural sugars, but some people freak out about that. I try to balance the amount of fruit I eat with veggies. I also try to stick to Super Fruits and/or Green fruits..Like Blueberries, Strawberries, etc and Green apples.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    well to much of anything is never good. I eat 8 to 10 servings of fruit a day remember a large apple could be 2 servings. I try to eat most of my fruit in the morning, it make for a great snack.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    2-3 pieces. Not all fruit are equally healthy. Choose low GI fruits.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I don't think that you can eat too much fruit per se. However, fruit has calories, so you need to count it just like anything else. The good thing about fruit is that it is full of fiber and nutrients. It helps you stay fuller longer and it gives you that "sweet" in a natural way.

You are supposed to have 5-8 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. I usually have 2-4 servings of fruit each day.

Really, if you are deciding whether to have a piece of fruit or a "diet" ice cream, the fruit is the better choice. But, if you really want the ice cream and are going to feel deprived not having it, then the ice cream is what you should eat--never let yourself feel deprived. That's my motto anyway.

I agree with this 101%
  • ericaq
    ericaq Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments guys! I usually don't go overboard on my fruit intake but it got me thinking this morning.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have no idea- I eat a LOT of fruit every day. Had 2oz blueberries and 2oz strawberries in my steel oats for breakfast this morning and had half a banana. My first snack will be Chobani strawberry yogurt. For lunch I am having meat, rainbow slaw, slice of baby swiss and cucumbers as well as an orange. Second snack will be 4oz watermelon covered with 1 tablespoon sliced almonds. Havent decided what is for dinner tonight, but may have a small necterine as after dinner snack. I could live on fruits.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    You should always eat fruits. I know some worry about the sugar but it's natural sugar...not processed. I normally have 3 - 4 depending on the day. But I try to stay around 3. My veggie intake is probably below where it should be but I do agree that you should have more veggies than fruits. Don't worry about the carbs in them...that's what gets people in trouble with the Atkins diet. Any diet that tells you to not eat fruits and veggies or rarely eat them is not healthy.
  • juldga
    juldga Posts: 119
    Options
    I snack on clementines all day 35 calories of deliciousness!
  • E2011
    E2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    Because fruit consist primarily of water I imagine it would be rather difficult to have to much. Of course there is a such thing as having too much water and therefor one could also have to much fruit but for this to be the case a persons diet would have to consist of predominately fruit...I wouldn't worry to much about the sugars because they're natural. Not to mention, it's easier to exceed appropriate sugar levels in one pastry than to exceed on several servings of fruit.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my sugars, but it is hard for me. I generally keep my fruit servings to 1-3 but I've cut it down to 1 serving. I'm eating a ton of veggies though.
  • lizmichele
    lizmichele Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fruit! I love it.

From what I have read you should eat it mostly in the morning, and not mix it with other things. It digests faster if eaten alone, and not within 30 minutes of another food item, particularly carbs.

I eat fruit like it is going out of style. And lucky for me we have an organic fruit bin delivered to our work every Wednesday. Which reminds me...I wonder what was in this weeks?