Wii Fit scale

Options
Does anyone else regularly use the Wii Fit scale to weigh in? I've been using it since July, and while I like it, on the whole, this morning it said I was up .4 pounds. I was a little irritated given my past two days have been good with lots of water, but I shrugged it off. After using the bathroom, I thought I'd weigh myself again just to see if any of the weight I'd gained was "bathroom" weight. The Wii Fit then said I was even from yesterday. I thought that was a little odd, so did it AGAIN and it said I'd lost .4 pounds from yesterday!

That's a .8 pound range in 20 minutes. I weigh in on the board on a flat, hard surface (no carpet). Shouldn't this be more accurate? Is this a Wii Fit problem I just haven't heard about before??

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Are you storing your board flat all the time? I don't use my wii as my scale, only as a comparison to when I used my wii last. I used to store mine on it's side, but someone said that wasn't good to do.

I wonder if it is an adjustment for clothes. It asks you to tell them how heavy your clothes are and maybe it takes it off each time, from your last weight.
  • lainey137
    lainey137 Posts: 39
    Options
    If you change the batteries then I guarantee you will magically lose weight! I have gone back to using old fashioned non digital scales. much more reliable!
  • cL0ver
    cL0ver Posts: 19
    Options
    I use it 2!! I want to know the answer! :)
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    I use my Wii Fit board as my scale. last week i went to the doctor's office with my friend and out of curiosity jumped on the scale and it told me the same thing that the balance board tells me.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Do you also have a good bathroom scale? I suggest an experiment. Weigh on both each day, or whenever you decide. Write down the results. Send the info to the Wii company and help them put out a better product--and maybe send a better scale to you. Have fun!
    (I do not have a Wii scale, so I cannot help you with feedback on that.) :drinker: (lots of water)
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    we have had nothing but issues with the wii fit scale. on a given day i can step on it and ill be down 39 pounds. seriously!! we have changed batteries, recalabrated it used the plug thingy and it very seldom gives us the right weight. so we stick to our regular scale.
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    3 weigh ins in the wii, one after the other - I usually get 3 different answers. no, I don't trust it
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    i stopped using the wii board as a scale when i found that if I weighed using it my weight changed depending on the disc I was using there was a whopping 10lb difference between the regular wii fit and my fitness coach there was also a difference of 5lb on the biggest loser game I could keep going with the inaccuracy so i weigh on my bathroom scales
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this issue, but as others have posted, I only use it as back up to my regular scale. Both have been pretty consistent. Sometimes there is a .2 pound difference between the 2, but generally Wii Fit and my scale say the same thing.
  • nicolebenke
    nicolebenke Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I once lost 2 pounds in 20 minutes of yoga. I only use it as a comparison tool. I'd suggest a bathroom scale as well.
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    The only fluctuations I have are small enough that I don't see a huge issue. One time I weighed myself both before and after a workout and it had gone up. I did some research and it said when you workout your muscles retain more fluid to help them heal. All in all I have found it to be the same as my bathroom scale! Also don;t forget that the fluid in our bodies do weigh something so if you drink water/pee between weighing it could fluctuate a little. Also from day to day we can gain/lose around 2lbs which si why they say to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day.
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've been having a nightmare on it, but then I do have a thick carpet, so I have started using the bathroom scales (in the kitchen as my bathroom is also carpeted). Was sad to as my bathroom scales put me 10lb heavier but was fed up of it being so dramatic all the time - one week saying I'd lost 6lb, the next week saying I'd gained 10lb so I've recalibrated MFP to match what my bathroom scales say and I'm using those from now on I don't trust them!
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    3 weigh ins in the wii, one after the other - I usually get 3 different answers. no, I don't trust it
    ive done it 11 times and i get a bunch of different ones. lol
  • Dizzyone825
    Options
    I would not trust it either.. mine is about ever right.. yesterday it showed a 1.1lb loss which is a lot for me and was apparently wrong.. I forget what my regular weight watchers scale but it was not a huge loss..I trust only my bathroom scale now..I wish they made a better regular scale.. No way I can see all of this little lines especially at 6am LOL
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have had the Wii Balance board for a little over a year. I have noticed that it's sensitivity is compromised when the batteries are running down. It can also be affected if you store it on its side, instead of flat. The Wii program actually "told" me to always store it flat because it can affect the electronics inside it.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Fit Plus and I've been using it over a month now. When compared to the bathroom scale, it gives me the same results. I always make sure I'm wearing my "light clothes" to weigh myself on both. Make sure that if you are on a thick carpet that you're using the foot extenders and don't store the balance board on it's side. Also for the most accuracy, try to stand still while you're being measured, the only time I've seen the Wii give me a different weight than my scale was when I was moving around while the Wii was "measuring". I make sure to try to do the body test around the same time each day so it's most accurate. I use rechargeable batteries and after a month of use (5 times a week, between 30 and 60 minutes each day) I'm only down one battery bar.
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    You all have been so helpful - it looks like I'll be getting a digital bathroom scale in order to have a slightly more accurate count going forward.

Thanks so much!
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    I just discovered a similar issue with my wii fit board yesterday.. I bought a new set of Salter digital bathroom scales and stood on them in my underwear last night... They had me weighing 4lb heavier than my wii fit board did.. (the weigh in time I use is the same time every week....) So instead of having 12lb to my target weight I now have 16lb to go...

I was pretty upset and thought that the new scales may be off so I weighed an item I knew the weight of this morning and yup... It weighed the right amount..

All weekly weigh ins will now be done on the bathroom scales.