hip pain...wtf im 25!!!

Options
So I've been running 25 miles/week plus eliptrical (3hr/wk) and my hip has been killing me especially in am... feel like a 90 y/o!! Hurts in the begining of my workout then it eventually "warms" up and I'm good to go.

So my question is train thru or just back off a bit? I work on ortho in a local hospital but idk if I want to actually admit I have hip pain at 25 to any of our orthopedic guys...I've lost almost 20 pound and I want to keep losing but w/o tons of cardio I won't lose....

Ahhh! Any advice?

Michelle

Replies

• LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm not sure if I really know what I'm talking about but I got a lot of hip/knee pain until I changed my shoes and got orthotics, it's all but gone now (i'm 28).
    Anyway - just a thought! good luck!
  • Cashley21
    Cashley21 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have had the same issue since 2007. I had hip stress fractures, they are suppose to heal in a few months with rest. I still have problems with mine so I try not to run. I ride bikes or elliptical. It was a big problem for me because I was in the Army, but most people do heal if that is what is wrong with you. I hope you get better soon, I feel for you.
  • Cashley21
    Cashley21 Posts: 15
    Options
    It really sucks when you want to train hard, but your body doesn't want to keep up. I just turned 21 when my pain started.
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    I've been in the army reserves since 2003 and nver had this problem...
    Changed shoes a few weeks ago....
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Does it feel like the bone or a muscle? I have crazy tight hip flexors, and sometimes the pain is excruciating. I've had it hit in the middle of a run and have to actually walk and shorten my stride significantly in order for it to stop. I also have a friend that is a marathoner and she has really bad hip pain.

There's got to be at least one ortho you'd feel ok talking to? I can't imagine they'd be anything but supportive and helpful?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So I've been running 25 miles/week plus eliptrical (3hr/wk) and my hip has been killing me especially in am... feel like a 90 y/o!! Hurts in the begining of my workout then it eventually "warms" up and I'm good to go.

So my question is train thru or just back off a bit? I work on ortho in a local hospital but idk if I want to actually admit I have hip pain at 25 to any of our orthopedic guys...I've lost almost 20 pound and I want to keep losing but w/o tons of cardio I won't lose....

Ahhh! Any advice?

Michelle

First, don't be embarrassed. This is a VERY common issue and NOT confined to the elderly!

A lot of things can cause this, but it's usually a combination of the wrong shoes, bad surfaces for running and overtraining.

The wrong shoes:

-Did you get fitted for your running shoes at a specialty running store? If not, I can virtually guarantee you are in the wrong shoes. If so, how long have you had these shoes? Running shoes, unfortunately, do not last forever. They average 300-500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Lighter, more efficient runners will get 500 miles out of their shoes. Heavier, inefficient runners usually get about 300-400.

The surface you run on also affects how long your shoes last. The softer the surface, the longer they last. Grass is the softest surface, then dirt, then asphalt, then concrete.

Bad Surfaces:

-See above. Softer surfaces produce less shock to your body. Try to stay on grass and dirt as much as you can and avoid concrete like it was radioactive.

Overtraining:

-Very common new runner problem. How quickly did you work up to 25miles per week? Do you take rest days between runs?

It takes 6-8 months of regular running to build the muscle and bone density to properly and safely absorb the physical shock of the pounding that running creates to your body.

You should be taking days off. You should not be increasing your mileage more than 10% per week. If you don't follow these guidelines, you will get teh overuse injuries, sooner or later: shin splints, stress fractures, tendonitis, etc.

If you are a long-time runner, you may have problems with your running form, or you may now have the muscle imbalances that are typical of runners. A good stretching and strengthening routine can help you with the muscle imbalances. For running form help, a coach would be best.

P.S. Do you run on cambered roads? If so, and the pain is always on the same side, you may want to reverse direction halfway through each run (without changing sides of the street!) and pay particular attention to corners. I got wicked knee pain by always cornering on the same knee. Once I started alternating, the knee pain went away.

The only time I got hip pain, running 25 miles per week, was in half marathons (longest races I ran). I trained as much as I could on dirt trails, especially for my long runs. So at about mile 10 in a half mary, my hips woud begin to ache as that pounding was unusual. As I didn't keep doing long distance on pavement, it was confined to the long races.
  • Mattysmomma
    Mattysmomma Posts: 268
    Options
    I think I might talk to someone tmr I just don't want to hear ur fat... lose weight convo! My shoes are good I have a little addiction to buying new shoes! I've been a long time runner but not this far or fast. Wonder if I'm over training I take 2 days off per week. Walking seems pointless bc I walk all day at work.
    Really want to do 1/2 marathon but obviously not training right. Thanks guys!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think I might talk to someone tmr I just don't want to hear ur fat... lose weight convo! My shoes are good I have a little addiction to buying new shoes! I've been a long time runner but not this far or fast. Wonder if I'm over training I take 2 days off per week. Walking seems pointless bc I walk all day at work.
    Really want to do 1/2 marathon but obviously not training right. Thanks guys!!

Honestly, it's not related to your weight. If this conversation is your main concern about getting some help though, just tell the doc up front that you are on a diet, your training is part of it, so no thanks--don't give me the weight lecture. ;)
  • ericaq
    ericaq Posts: 29
    Options
    I too am a runner and have had some serious hip problems over the last year or so. My trainer recommended some hip exercises that stretch out your hip flexers and make it much more tolerable. I'll try my best to explain each:

Hip /core conditioning:
    Side steps : She has me do 15x on each side; sink your hips back
    Hip lift: Again, 15x; lay on your back, bend your knees, shoulders on the ground, lift your hip
    Squat w/ outside ankle touch: 10x total; sink hips back
    Single leg split squat (back leg on bench or chair)- push up into calf raise at end range of motion: 8x ea
    Plank onto hands w/ 16x total knee to outside elbow - You can really feel the stretch when you do this

I do these exercises after a run, fyi. Hope this helps!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with hip pain lately. I noticed I also sleep in a weird position, so make sure you aren't bending yourself weird at any other time of the day.
    Hip /core conditioning:
    Side steps : She has me do 15x on each side; sink your hips back
    Hip lift: Again, 15x; lay on your back, bend your knees, shoulders on the ground, lift your hip
    Squat w/ outside ankle touch: 10x total; sink hips back
    Single leg split squat (back leg on bench or chair)- push up into calf raise at end range of motion: 8x ea
    Plank onto hands w/ 16x total knee to outside elbow - You can really feel the stretch when you do this
    Thanks for these tips! I'm gonna try them too!
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    Could be pain in your hip flexors...common with runners who have weak ones. Yoga helps. I get the pain when I do runs over 12 miles. It could also be your form when running!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Could be pain in your hip flexors...common with runners who have weak ones. Yoga helps. I get the pain when I do runs over 12 miles. It could also be your form when running!

Google Chi Running and watch those videos ---- spend several weeks cutting your mileage but focusing on form, form, form --- and forget how fast you run for a couple weeks, go slow and work on that Chi Running form....I have a torn disc and following their instruction, I can run.

If you don't have one yet, go to running store and pick up a foam roller (start with the white one) and roll out your IT bands that's the outside of your thighs....if those are tight they pull on your hips and then your hip muscles will pull on your lower back next.

I run a lot, I try to get in at least one good sports massage a month --- just tell them how much you run and where it hurts.

Yoga and/or stretch classes are fabulous.

The other thing that's helped my running is to not run back to back days, and I've added Zumba, Yoga, Swimming and Cycling to work different muscles :)
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 26 and I feel pain in my hips and my lower back as well. I too work in hospital but am too embarrased to say anything. I ve lost 40 pounds but my left hip throbs and sometimes even sharp shooting pains. I might actually go to the GP and get it checked out ....but I hate the doctors.