Etiquette

Options
How do you handle it, when you know that people on MFP are commenting on your status updates without reading them? For instance, repeating something you've mentioned in the update as if they're informing you of something new?

Personally, I find those kind of blanket comments slightly rude - if you can't be bothered to read the update fully, then why comment at all? On the other hand, these people are obviously just trying to offer support in their own way, and I know it's ungrateful of me to complain about how they do it.

On a side note, if you defriend someone, do you tend to message and tell them, or not bother?

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Oh I completely understand! Happens way too often. If you defreind someone I don't see why you would have to give an explanation unless you feel bad about it. that's just me. good luck!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just hit delete! :)
  • az1cowgirl
    Options
    The way I see this is it's a matter of Grace. Give grace to those you encounter in your life whether they are MFP friends or real life friends. In this busy world of ours sometimes things slip through and it may seem as though they are not really paying attention. But they are there to cheer you on and give advice when you ask. Take what you need and disregard the rest. If you want to un-friend someone, go for it...it's your prerogative to do so without explanation.

Have a blessed day.

Linda
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    I guess I don't understand what you mean-- are you talking about something like saying "great job" on a day that's been terrible for you but you came in under your calorie goal? Personally, I take things in the spirit in which they are intended. So someone didn't look at my diary before commenting--oh well! At least they took the time to comment and are trying to support me.

That said, it ultimately comes down to what you are comfortable with. Friends are meant to be supportive and if you're feeling worse, or getting upset, after reading someone's comments, then by all means defriend them.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I give them the benefit of the doubt if it's only a one-time thing. I know sometimes I have a brain fart and forget what someone typed while I'm in the middle of typing my own response. Things like that just happen sometimes. But if it's happening a lot, I'd probably delete. I have no time for that stuff.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand what you mean-- are you talking about something like saying "great job" on a day that's been terrible for you but you came in under your calorie goal? Personally, I take things in the spirit in which they are intended. So someone didn't look at my diary before commenting--oh well! At least they took the time to comment and are trying to support me.

I mean something more like;

"I must stop doing X because of Y!"

And someone comments;

"You should stop doing X because of Y."

...like they've only skimmed for the key words.
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options

I mean something more like;

"I must stop doing X because of Y!"

And someone comments;

"You should stop doing X because of Y."

...like they've only skimmed for the key words.

I've never encountered that but I can see how multiple incidents could get obnoxious. That's what the delete button is for and I agree with the others--no explanation needed. :drinker: