Stay-at-home-moms: what is your activity level?

Options
alliecore
alliecore Posts: 446 Member
I'm curious at what level other stay-at-home-moms set your activity level. I have mine set at "sedentary", just because I don't want to over rate my activity level. (I workout hard 6 days a week; but obviously log all that separately.) I mean, there are days where it seems like the hardest thing I do is lift a laundry basket and a 2 year old; but then the next day I'm on my feet for hours grocery shopping, cleaning the car, and scrubbing floors.

I don't log housework as exercise, but I don't do heavy housework every day. It's confusing to know how to set my activity level! I just started maintenance, and I don't want to lose any more weight. Just wondering what other SAHM's have for input. :)

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I put sedentary because I'm the only one home during the day. I don't have small children to chase or clean up after. My house stays fairly clean without too much effort. If I had a little one, I'd probably put lightly active.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i set mine to lightly active...because i have small children, and most of my day im up doing something, or picking up after someone and lifting up a 15 pound baby, and running up and down stairs
  • B140
    B140 Posts: 56
    Options
    I started out with mine at sedentary, but just recently moved it up to light activity. I wear a bodymedia fit and it said that I had started burning more calories everyday because of all the exercise. So I bet light activity would work better for you then sedentary.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Good question!! Mine is still set to sedentary because I set it when he was an infant, but now that he's a toddler, I'd say it's safe to say I could move it up a notch. So, I guess age matters and the energy level of the child. My son is HIGH energy, so unless I want him to have a broken arm, leg, or some other body part, I have to be high energy as well....
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Lightly active....I stay at home and I'm very rarely sitting with 2 little ones to clean up and chase after all day!
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i had it as lightly active but just changed it to sed.

im not really sure what i should put either but i figure if i do more then sed., its good but if i log lightly active and do less then its not helping.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I also put sedentary. I sit most of the day. I log my exercise, but don't log any cleaning, even if it is deep cleaning. I suppose if I washed the floor on my hands and knees, I might want to count that. But for now, I am too lazy for that. LOL.

I don't worry about feeling too hungry if I do some deep cleaning. If I am still hungry(and not just munchies) I will eat a bit more, and not worry about my journal being over. Just keeping track of my food and exercise is what is important to me. I need to see what I ate, and the calories. It keeps me from eating mindlessly.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a 4yr old and a 3 yr old. I'm always on my feet but I have a small house and I don't think I walk long distances. I put myself light active but I ended up gaining weight so now I'm sedentary. If I clean or exercise I log it in and it gives me the burned calories. That works best for me.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a 4yr old and a 3 yr old. I'm always on my feet but I have a small house and I don't think I walk long distances. I put myself light active but I ended up gaining weight so now I'm sedentary. If I clean or exercise I log it in and it gives me the burned calories. That works best for me.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I had mine set at sedentary and have left it there because I'm pregnant now. I'm huge and we do a lot of playing in the floor and I tend to rest when he naps. I think once baby number 2 gets here I may bump it up a notch because there is no way I will be getting this much R&R. An infant and 2 year old will definitely keep me busy! I also don't ever log anything other than exercising (and I do count taking walks with the baby and pushing a stroller exercise).
  • tcsteeves
    tcsteeves Posts: 59
    Options
    I feel the same way you do. I have mine set as sedentary as well. There are days when I'm constantly running around after my 2 year old but then there are days when I don't feel like I'm doing much moving around at all.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to sedentary, and then I add exercise and housework (but I don't log the full time for cleaning because I think MFP overestimates calories burned for it). Because there are a lot of days that I sit at the computer most of the day, or sit on the couch snuggling with the kiddos, or whatever, and I don't do much. Plus, if I get to log housework as exercise, I'm more likely to actually do it. :-P
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also set my level at sedentary. I stay home with my two boys (ages 2 and 1 yr) and I didn't want to over estimate my calories burned. I also do daycare for typically 3 other yound children during the day so its hard to say what I actually burn. I have been counting light housework like laundry, dishes, and vacuuming for like 15 min per day and I also use 'food preperation' for about 10-20min depending on the day. There is also a category called 'walking, carrying infant or 15lb load'. I usually credit myself 10-15min for that one since it isn't constant. I hope this helps you! These categories usually earn me about 150-200 calories so it gives me some breathing room :) Good luck to you. I think you are doing the right thing estimating on the low side, you can always change it later

:flowerforyou:

Penny

I'm sending you a friend request!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I put mine as sedentary, also because I didn't want to overrate my activity level. Some days I'm moving around more than others.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys! :flowerforyou:

I decided to try bumping it up to lightly active, and eat less if I'm not as hungry on more sedentary days. But gosh, yesterday I ate all but 77 calories, and when I went to bed I was so hungry my stomach hurt! I was too lazy to get up and eat anything, but I kinda think I might need a few more calories, at least on some days.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I put sedentary too, but since since joingin MFP I started going workouts on Bodyrick.tv, bought a cross trainer and walk daily with my kids. I don' log or even eat any of my workout calories
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    SEDENTARY. Even though my actual routine is far from that... between the kids and attending school, I think it keeps me safe!

What I've learned throughout my journey is that overestimating calories consumed and underestimating activity level gives results. It creates a little safety net for yourself.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I put mine at light activity cuz I seem to always be moving (or I make myself move!) I do NOT log any cleaning exercises and if I walk to the park I do not log it anymore either. I exercise 6 times a week and log those. Seems to be working for me. I've been losing a pound a week :)
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I put mine at light activity. I have a soon to be 1 year old. and I do alot of sitting on the floor playing but I am up and down the stairs alot and walking back and forth from the kitchen with him. I dont log any cleaning only my exercise workouts. I looked at the sedentary and light activity and my calories really didnt change both said for me to net 1200.
  • jogui
    jogui Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi, another bodyrocker!!! How many calories do you put in after doing a workout? I'm still trying to figure that one out.
    Seems like everyone says there is no way to know.