Water.....

gagejennifer
gagejennifer Posts: 41
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
This may have already been asked but this is my first time posting so I apologize in advance if its been asked before. .........I know they say water is good for you. But if you simply don't care for the taste of it, can you drink something such as Crystal Light instead (after all it does have water in it) I just wondered. Thanks !.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    This may have already been asked but this is my first time posting so I apologize in advance if its been asked before. .........I know they say water is good for you. But if you simply don't care for the taste of it, can you drink something such as Crystal Light instead (after all it does have water in it) I just wondered. Thanks !.

Yes! but maybe buy the packet's and only add .5 at a time. Even though it has no calories there is evidence that the no cal sweetner is difficult for the body figure out what to do with. I stay away from it all together and just add lemon.
  • Or better yet squeeze a lemon in your water or toss a cucumber in it. Even a decaf instant unsweatened tea is better than just not drinking it.
  • nomayyy
    nomayyy Posts: 28
    Yes you can! :)
    But I think you should still try to get used to drinking plain water, but if using Crystal Light is going to make you drink more, then it's definitely better than not drinking water at all.
  • Thank you !. :-)
  • I begin by saying I'm not a nutritionist, so take my advice with a grain of salt. but yes, Crystal Light counts. So does coffee and tea (although you don't actually get all the water due to the diaretic effect of caffiene). You also get water from your food (especially fruits and vegetables- although I have yet to find a way to figure out how much water comes from those sources). You can also flavor your water- lemon juice, fresh squeezes orange juice. Once I started tracking my coffee, tea, crystal light, and snapple, I realized that with my actual water consumption, i am averageing 14 glasses a day. Hope this helps.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Try green tea. Good for the body :)
  • You can give Sparkling Water a shot. Wal-mart's brand I really enjoy. Kroger's...not so much. They have different kind of flavors ranging from Strawberry, Lemon, Lime, Grape, and more..

0 Calories
    0 Sodium
    0 Carbs
    0 Sugars
    0 Protein
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    try the new flavoring MiO Liquid Water Enhancer.
    you can get it at walmart & heb. No sugar no cals. kinda pricey but worth it.:flowerforyou:
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    I use MIO. Its a liquid water enhancer with no calories. I hate plain water and it upsets my stomach. I use to dring about 4 cups of water a day using crystal light or flavored bottled water. Since using the MIO I now drink 12 cups a water a day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    The body treats artificial sweetener the same as it does natural sugar. Which means that insulin is released telling the body to stop burning fat for energy and to use sugar from your blood instead. If there is very little sugar in your blood your body will send hunger signals so that you can eat to replenish the blood sugar. If you don't replenish it you'll get hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). It's best to stay away from artificial sweeteners and to ease into drinking water if it's not something you're used to. Try replacing one or two drinks with water every few days and soon you'll be drinking 8 or more. Now that I drink only water (from a 24oz sports bottle) I get 12-15 glasses a day on average.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    I used to also hate drinking water. I tried to always mix it with Crystal Lite or Infusions, but one day took a look at the ingredients and was pretty disgusted.

I'm not a huge fan of aspartame, so I'd also suggest adding lemon, frozen fruit (great sweet taste, plus will keep your water cold), or cucumbers for something fresh.

Naturally decaffeinated tea is another good option
  • Yes, drinking green tea is very good for you, especially when you are about to exersice. It helps you lose weight quicker and gives you more energy! :bigsmile:
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    loves green tea also loves herbal tea , since joining here i have not had one cup of coffee or regualr tea now just drink water and herbal teas...quick question in the water thingy at the bottom of your diary do u count just cups of water or do you count teas as well?
This discussion has been closed.