Stay at home moms-what do you do?

Options
I am home most of the time with a 9 month old, and its still not warm outside. Im wondering what you do to get a workout in? Is there anything I can do in my living room with a baby under foot that will actually produce results? We have a YMCA membership, but I am nervous about leaving her in the nursery, so we havent tried that yet. I also have a great jogging stroller but am still waiting for warmer weather. (good excuses, huh)

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    There are tons of wonderful DVDs out there. I highly recommend Jillian Michaels' Blast Fat/Boost Metabolism and well as her No More Trouble Zones. Her 30 Day Shred is also good, and works if you are short on time. I use collage video a lot to check out new videos. They show a sample of each video and although each sample is not that long, it's often enough to help you decide if a particular workout is for you. Also, they describe the workout really well and categorize it. The website is great because you can narrow down your search for just those types of exercise you are interested in.
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would try some of the quicker workout videos for nap time! Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is only about 27 minutes and its a great total body workout!

If you have Wii or any other game system there are great fitness games that you could do as well!

Good luck to you!
  • fasfcterrill
    Options
    I've been doing the P90X videos and they are great. Any type of workout video is good and some times you can go "On Demand" and find a workout channel. Hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • chrissymay4
    Options
    Just bundle up the little one & get outside!!! Just start walking.. You'll really start feeling good about it and about yourself! It's what I do & I'm home all day as well:)
  • helthymom6
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom of 5. I really like the leslie sansone work out videos. I do them with the kids. That way we can all get a great workout. Of course at nine months yours is a little young. Maybe you could put the baby in a playpen where she can watch you, they seem to like that. That is what I do with my 18 month old when we work out. Or try and do a work out when the baby is napping. good luck!
  • 4McElfish
    4McElfish Posts: 11
    Options
    You cad do lots of sit ups & push ups & jumping jacks.

I would go check out the YMCA. My kids used to cry when I dropped them off in a nursery but quickly realized it was fun. You need you time so quit the excuses. :)
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I work out while they're (1 and 3) eating breakfast. At 9 months old you could put her in a high chair where she can see you with some snacks and workout while she snacks. You can work out at nap time.
    Dance around your living room with her. let her sit on your stomach while you do crunches, put her on your back and play horsie as you crawl around the living room. All these little things will add up.
    I feel the same way about leaving the boys. I found a community center here that offers classes & they have a kidsit program on 1/2 of the gym and the class on the other 1/2 so I'm still right there which I'm much more comfortable with.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I stay at home with my one year old and my four year old and I have a lot of different workouts I use. I use the Wii Fit, Just Dance 2, 30 Day Shred, Leslie Sansone, Slim in 6, and Tae Bo. I usually try to do them while my daughter is napping, but sometimes I can do the Leslie Sansone walking dvd while she is awake. Just Dance 2 is a good one for the Wii because she likes to dance to it while I do it.
  • Taras630
    Taras630 Posts: 85
    Options
    I live in Florida so if I have to workout with my son I walk outside. I usually try to workout before my son wakes up, while he's taking a nap or when I put him to bed at night. All I want to do is sleep with him but I get up and workout. Cant really workout when he's awake because he takes that opportunity to touch things he knows he's not supposed to touch. I sometimes have my husband watch my son if I don't feel like working out too late. Good luck. You'll find a way to fit your workouts into your schedule.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    check out this blog bodyrock.tv she works out at home. She is intense but DO NOT let that stop you. Build your way up! Even if you can only do one of each!
  • usmcpatience
    Options
    I don't believe in mass daycare unless it as absolutely necessary, so I'm with you on the "not wanting to leave the little one in the nursery." I worked at a daycare for sometime, and I know that there is no way that each child is getting the attention he or she needs when they're that small. It's hard for two adults to wrangle four to six babies!

That being said, all my working out happens here at home with the muchkin around. I have a dance video I love to do on rainy or cold days. It's fun, and I burn quite a few calories. Sometimes I even do it with ankle/wrist weights on! I also jump rope in the garage while my daughter is sleeping sometimes. I've even been known to simply run around the house! Haha. I've done stair-steppers on the steps too! I have an exercise ball, some hand weights, and a resistance tube I use from time to time as well.

On sunny days, we go for long (brisk) walks. My daughter is 2, so we play outside often when it's possible. She's in this stage where she wants to act like animals, so we've been known to hop around the yard like frogs, run like horses, and bounce like kangaroos! The neighbors probably think I'm nuts, but I can FEEL the burn!!!

Just be as creative as you can! I totally remember infancy days! Kudos to you for trying! When my daughter was 9 months old, more often than not I wanted to SLEEP while she was sleeping! Haha.. Good luck!

~Sam
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone download the free cardio, arms, butt, and abs workout by Daniel Miller. They are awesome!
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have 3, 3 and under. I know it's tough... Some days I just don't get the workout in. Other days I can do it while they are napping, or when they go to bed for the night. If I am really lucky my husband will take them all for an hour or so for me to get a workout in. I found the most helpful thing is to arrange a time with him and get out of the house! :)
    Just one baby sounds like a piece of cake! Get the stroller out or get baby busy with something in the pack and play or high chair or crib and squeeze in 20min. I don't think any baby is hurt by 20 minutes of solo play - in a safe place of course!
    Feel free to friend me I know it can be tough. Good luck!
    J
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    You should check out the 10 Minute Solutions workout series. If you have Netflix there are several on there. I love this one:
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/10_Minute_Solution_Pilates/70008390?trkid=496624#height1278

The sculpting segment on that one is really good and what I do is do the different segments throughout the day. (I have a 2 year old and 2 older children) The Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is only 20 minutes so that's not terribly long either. I'm thinking that there are probably some mommy and me type workouts too and when all else fails the swing or pack n play works for keeping the little one occupied for a little while too.

Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the YMCA. Your baby is 9 months old now, and unless she has some kind of health problem, she's not going to break. Check out the nursery to see what the other kids are like, and if they aren't too rowdy she'll be just fine. If my gym had childcare I'd be there more often! As it is, I have to go after they go to bed.
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I am also a stay at home mom, I have a 6yr old and a 4yr old. Do you have cable with on demand? if so check out the workouts on exercise tv, most companies it is free, i have fios and it is free. there are tons, my favorite are leslie sansone walk at home workouts!! do little things around the house, vaccum(if the baby is not scared of it...), do some dusting, mopping is great, clean at a moderatly fast pace, you'd be surprized how many calories you can burn just doing small things!!! i do housework every morning right after breakfast, having 2 kids there is always laundry to be done, so walking up and down the stairs is also great. You could even try that, just walking or jogging up the stairs a few times. i was doing wall push ups in the beginning, cause i'm retarded and can't seem to be able to do a push up on the floor, need some upper body stregnth. you can even use weights, or this sounds silly, but when i was trying to get on track i used water bottles at first....lol! i was doing anything i could before i found exercise tv. i stood in my kitched and did simple fast kicks or side steps with little punches.....jump back and forth over an item, long peice of string perhaps, something soft, brrom sticks or other item that roll really hurt if you mess up....LOL!!!! also google at home exercising! gl to you, and i hope this helped!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    If I cant get out I do workouts on tv with exercise tv on demand. other than that I wait for my husband to get home so i can go to the exercis room in my apartments.
    I also have a jump rope and kettel bells that I can use at home.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I workout during naptime. It's still not warm enough here to get outside and there's no way I'm going to just bundle up my baby and head outside to risk him getting sick. He takes short naps - usually between 30 and 50 minutes so, if need be I work out during two of his naps. This Friday, I'm starting the 30 Day Shred (totally recommend that for an at-home workout), so I'll probably do that during his first nap, then hit the elliptical or treadmill during his second. Another good DVD is The Biggest Loser Weightloss Yoga (with Bob). I never realized Yoga could be such a workout - and I've never made it past level 1!

You just have to get creative momma!
  • sunnny218
    sunnny218 Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies. Clearly what I learned is I have some lame excuses and just need to get my butt in gear. I do have on demand and have tried a few workouts in the past. I didnt see results, but its probably because I did them sporadic at best. Thanks again for all the great ideas.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM and have found it very easy to do workouts at home. I second the Bodyrock.tv workouts. They're hard but you can do them in a short amount of time and you WILL see results. DVDs are also great! I have several workout dvds that I love and I just alternate.