Low glycogen - exercising on an empty stomach..?

Options
Various theories on this, I have recently been exercising before eating anything - up to ten miles hiking, jogging outdoors, or on the treadmill in the gym. I haven't passed out (yet) and feel like I have plenty of energy. Is it true that you are more likely to burn into the fat reserves by doing this..?

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump....
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RockFarm
    RockFarm Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes - it is true. You burn fat, not the carbs you just ate. Marks Daily Apple website has a lot of information about this. Search on "fasting."
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It has to be really, as you don't have the glycogen to burn!

I have run 11 miles on an empty stomach and felt great. I don't think you need to eat before exercise. I don't even find it beneficial. My body has enough reserves to keep itself going for days!
  • cosmo30
    cosmo30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ale21KBeijing2011
    Options
    Hi I am new to the website and I just feel great about eating and recording what i eat and my workouts. However I have a few questions. I am running a 21K (my first) on May21st. Actually it is a hard one the Beijing Great Wall of China!!! So I am excited and I figure since it is my first 21K i can run.jog, walk and sight see The Great Wall. However I need advice on eating the previous night and eating breakfast and drinking tea or water.

I started training by running 4 or 5 times a week, doing zumba, cycling, abs and some weighs. Any suggestions on workouts, music ( i already know my playlists from memory ) diets and nutrition as well as other runnigntips

Thanks
    Alejandra:happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No advice but wow on running the Great Wall! I visited China a couple of years ago and it is such an amazing country. I managed to dance up and down some of the steps on the wall :-)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to the website and I just feel great about eating and recording what i eat and my workouts. However I have a few questions. I am running a 21K (my first) on May21st. Actually it is a hard one the Beijing Great Wall of China!!! So I am excited and I figure since it is my first 21K i can run.jog, walk and sight see The Great Wall. However I need advice on eating the previous night and eating breakfast and drinking tea or water.

I started training by running 4 or 5 times a week, doing zumba, cycling, abs and some weighs. Any suggestions on workouts, music ( i already know my playlists from memory ) diets and nutrition as well as other runnigntips

Thanks
    Alejandra:happy:

I'd have a very good breakfast at least a couple of hours before