Upcoming Surgery

Options
So, I'm feeling like a real wuss - I was told today that I need my gall bladder removed as it is filled with stones. I have never been sedated or undergone general anesthesia. I'm freaking out just a bit (ok, a lot) about being put under. Anyone have surgery stories to share?

Replies

• veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So, I'm feeling like a real wuss - I was told today that I need my gall bladder removed as it is filled with stones. I have never been sedated or undergone general anesthesia. I'm freaking out just a bit (ok, a lot) about being put under. Anyone have surgery stories to share?
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    all i can tell you is that if you have to have an IV - ask for lidocaine in the IV area first. it makes the IV insertion painless :wink:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options

It's not that bad this day and age. You get IV sedation, they do 2-3 small incisions to remove your gall bladder and give you pain meds to take home. I had it done a few years ago and my recovery time was about 2 weeks. Try not to stress to badly over it but we all know how scary it is to undergo anethesia.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery earlier in the year. I was terrified. I have not undergone much in the way of medical procedures, and back surgery seemed really daunting. I had no problems at all. My wife has had two knees replaced and a partial hip replacement, and has come through all surgeries very well. My best advice is to have someone you trust be with you and ask questions, and make sure that your condition is monitored. I was with my wife and probably drove the nurses crazy making sure that every need was taken care of and that all questions got answered. You know what they say about the squeaky wheel! Good luck.
    Cowboy
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    well, look at the bright side-- you won't have much of an appetite for a while.
    306.gif

Good luck-- :flowerforyou:
  • Laynee
    Laynee Posts: 45
    Options
    Oh, wow! I just had my third surgery within the past two years this past Wednesday. The first one was gallbladder, the second two gyn surgeries, all laparoscopic. Was extremely sick after the first two surgeries, figured out it was the anesthesia plus pain meds that were making me so sick (nausea, vomiting) that they actually had to admit me. This time they gave me IV anti-emetic meds along with the anesthesia and I did much better and got to go home the same day. The other advice the pre-op nurse gave me was to drink a ton of water the day before surgery right up until the time you can't have anything else. That way you will be hydrated and less nauseous after surgery. It really worked.

Also, be prepared for possible gas pains (the gas they inflate your stomach with). I don't remember it being bad with my other surgeries but it was horrible with this one, sharp pain in my side and up into the shoulder for two whole days after surgery, much worse than the actual incision pain. Could be mistaken for a heart attack if you don't know what it is. I don't know if there's much you can do for that except waiting it out. Heat helped some. Other than that, my advice would be to take some time off, have someone to help at home if possible and lay low for whatever time it takes you to recover. Laparoscopic surgery really isn't too bad and recovery time is much shorter than open surgery. I was back to work part-time by the 2nd day after surgery (but I do medical transcription at home and can work in my pj's)! I also took a little time off from MFP as I wasn't eating as much and friends were providing meals for us this past week and I didn't have the energy to try to calculate calories.

I wish you the very best. If you let us know when it's happening, I'm sure there are those of us who would be happy to keep you in our prayers, myself included.
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I work in surgery and I've been a patient as well (6 times LOL)! It's really not that bad! I guess I can say this because I have always known what to expect. An old coworker and I use to joke about not have the same nerves about surgery as the common person, either because we knew too much or we're just really stupid. :laugh:
    The crazy thing about my last surgery (redo on an umbilical hernia) I pulled all the equipment, suture, mesh...ect for my own case the day before my surgery. Plus the surgeon who worked on me I've assisted for years, so I knew step by step exactly what he was going to do....now that was a trip!
    Everyone is different and reacts differently to anesthesia. If you have nauseous there are meds they can give to you for that. Also, be sure to keep up on the pain meds. You may feel good after surgery and think you don't need them, but seriously for at least 2 days keep taking it. I only take Tylenol 3 (I'm extremely sensitive to meds) and I come off them usually after 3 days.
    Good luck and get plenty of rest afterwards. You will do good!
    Kel~:flowerforyou:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I underwent two consecutive spinal fusion surgeries when I was 14 years old . . . it was tough, I won't lie. I was stiff, sore, uncomfortable and nauseous. BUT, when I had recovered, I was very grateful to have had it done! I am still grateful to this day. However, gall bladder surgery sounds like one of those easy, routine surgeries - and if I can make it through major back surgery, I'm sure you'll be just fine! :flowerforyou: Chin up! (And you might want to see if you can get a game system in the hospital - sure helps pass the time!) :laugh:
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago. Don't worry about the anesthesia. The nurse had me count backwards from 100, :noway: the last thing I remember is getting to 98 and then waking up and it was over.

I was out of it for a few days but pretty much that was it. Since the surgery I cannot eat anything greasy without becoming sick. Needless to say I stay away from fried foods. This is good thing though.

Hope all goes well as I'm sure it will:flowerforyou:
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    I have had three surgeries, other than a few small things. One was my gallbladder, the other a preocedure after I lost my second baby (Im not sure the name of this in english, in spanish it is a "Legrado" but it required general anestesia) and last year I had a small piece of my uterus removed (cancer). Other than that I have been poked and proded all my life...and im pretty sure I have had cameras in all cavities at one point or another. Even my belly button was opened and then reclosed for a surgery :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The one thing I can assure you...and I always keep this in mind when going under...if I dont have the procedure done then I will be much sicker.

Besides, this procedure is really really routine, they do it everyday. (and sometimes, a few times a day)

Plus, I dont know about everybody else, but if it were legal to have a tank at home and gas up freely Id probably be first to sign up, hehehehehe...ok, so sometimes, depending on the kind of surgery it may give you some nausea (I had this with the gallbladder surgery) or slight pain in the rib cage (after my cancer was removed)...after the Legrado nothing hurt...I was fine on the physical aspect.

But let me tell you...once you have been under before, seeing the mask come is quite nice...its like knowing that you are about to have the best nap ever...and you may be out for only 10 minutes or 10 hours, but you will still feel like you slept for days and went to Disney...zero worries...zero pain...that stuff is wonderful!!!

One thing that helped me was to remember stuff that had hurt me months or years back and realize that they dont hurt me today...so this pain that your gonna have (which is really not all much) is just going to last about 2 weeks...and then youll be ok again.

My father in law was putting it off and now he says that he should have had the surgery sooner...its so much easier to live without that horrible pain in the side whenever you walk too much or do to much exercise or eat/drink the wrong stuff. Its like getting your life back.

I have great faith that you will do well on this surgery...and probably have some nausea...and then have some discomfort with the few stitches and gas bloating...and then live a much better quality of life once this is all gone! You are so much stronger than you can imagine!!!:drinker:
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    I had mine taken out years ago. I was scared and told them so...and they gave me pre-meds...and everything was all better! Uh...do you know the usual results of having no gall bladder? Better to keep it if ya can! I can tell you, when it hurts bad enough...you won't be so scared to get it out! Best of luck!

98553.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter[/url
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    just a few words....

"the best sleep you will ever have/get"
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well you have prepared youself for this. Losing 54 pounds is going to have a great effect on the outcome, and make the sx easier for the doctors.

GOOD for YOU!!:flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine - but I know it is scary!

My hubby had his appendix removed, and he lost 15 lbs!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I was terrified of being knocked out when I got my wisdom teeth out. I know it isn't the same, but I was out! Same with a colonoscopy. In both cases, I was really glad they did knock me out. When I woke up from my wisdom teeth, I was crying. When they asked why I could not give them an answer! Nothing hurt or anything, lol. After the colonoscopy, I was asking my boyfriend weird questions. I was just glad to be done. The anethesia (sp?) isn't a bad thing at all. It is actually a very good thing. :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I've had four surgeries, two in the past year. Surgery #1 was an abdominal tumor removal when I was 18, surgery #2 was my kiddo via c-section at 24, surgery #3 was a breat reduction at 26, quickly followed by surgery #4 to repair a hole in my stomach caused by a "fluke" side effect of the medication, when I was 26. (Also went under to have my wisdom teeth out when I was 20, but I don't count that one since I've had so many other surgeries..)

The anethesia knocks me out quickly. Never had a problem there, except I always throw up once or twice for good measure when I wake up. (They give you a bed pan for that, since you aren't allowed off the bed at that point.) The administration is the anestheia is so easy. I've had it through mask ("Count backwards from 10", and I remember saying 10 & 9, then I was out) and I've had it most recently through IV (the last one said, "I'm gonna slip you a mickey", lol).

The pain meds take care of the pain after the surgery. Don't be afraid to ask for them and take them. There are no medals for being a hero in the medical arena.... take the meds and let your body heal.

With abdominal surgeries (I've had 3 now), I find my body bloats and swells and retains water (heard it called "third spacing" by a nurse... the body stores up water for emergency use after surgery) for about 2-3 weeks. Then I start to de-bloat. If your weight is weird for a few weeks, just discount it and give your body time to heal and return to normal.

You'll pull through with flying colors. It's normal to be apprehensive and nervous about surgery.

If you have questions, ask us! As you can see, we are a cross section of America here, with surgeries galore!
  • mamajones
    Options
    I had mine removed in July of 2007, just 6 weeks after the c-section I had to have to have my son.

Trust me, you will be okay. The surgery is simple, you are put out, and honestly..you wont remember a thing. I have 4 small scars, I was sore for about 3-4 days, I felt like i had done like a 2,000 crunches, and my muscles were really sore. I healed fast, and was able to go swimming just a month later!

I don't know if you have been having attacks or not from the stones. try to stay clear of cheeses, and fat.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • thisisforme
    Options
    I had this surgery 2 months ago. I didn't realize how much pain I was in, until the thing was out. Remember this, pain pills will "stop" you up. Think about taking a stool softener prior to the surgery. Everything you do is connected to your abs...I have a tall bed and had to use a step stool. Get some soft pajama type pants, they will be comfy. If the incisions start to itch just rub them through your shirt, so you don't irritate them. Get a pillow to cough with. Put the pillow on your tummy and hold it tight before coughing, you will have some phlem and stuff in your chest after the surgey, be careful when you cough, so you don't mess with the stitches. I had plenty of sprite/7-up on hand with some soda crackers to settle my stomach. The greasy foods might get you and expect runny poo for a while. You body has to re-route the "output" after the surgery. Get to the potty quick. No holding it. Good Luck! I hope this helps. You will feel better afterwords. Before careful with pain mgt. Don't wait too long to take the meds, or it will take a while for them to work...Take care and have someone help you! I moved my cat's litter pail too early and paid the price the next day I was really sore!!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I had mine out over 2 years ago and I still have problems sometimes with having to go potty depending on what I eat. The surgery itself wasnt so bad, although one of my scars is bigger than most because of how overweight I am. I am glad I had it out though. A month after I had it out I got pregnant so no problems with my tummy there.

Connie
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's comments and encouragement. I am now a week post-op and feel FANTASTIC! Had to face my fear of anesthesia head on and am so relieved it was such a problem-free experience. Only had to take 2 of my pain pills and resumed most regular activity by day 4. Have a great weekend!!