Meat Glue ??

Options
jrusso28
jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
This post is sort of "off on a tangent" but I thought it was worth sharing.

A friend of mine had forwarded me a link to an article that discusses how some butchers are making meat scraps go farther than before. They sort of glue them together and then sell them to restaurants and possibly directly to unsuspecting consumers.

Here is one link I found, and I was hoping that there might be some folks on this forum that could validate if this is true, how widespread is this?, and what can be done to avoid this...

For the rest of you that are learning of this for the first time, what are your thoughts?

http://healthfreedoms.org/2011/03/29/industry-wide-use-of-meat-glue-sticks-together-scraps-of-meat-to-sell-you-prime-cuts/

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    That is just so disgusting! No wonder there are constantly ecoli and salmonella outbreaks. I'll be paying more attention to my meats. Thank you for sharing!
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    That's really disgusting! Once AGAIN the FDA fails to protect us from the producers greed.

I'll stick to my organic meat I purchase from the grocery. I rarely eat meat in restaurants - this gives me further bolstering.

Thanks for posting!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Isn't this the concept behind hotdogs, liverwurst, bratwurst, balogna and sausage?

I'm not joking, but it's basically grinding cuts of meat and "putting" them together to make a new product.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Isn't this the concept behind hotdogs, liverwurst, bratwurst, balogna and sausage?

I'm not joking, but it's basically grinding cuts of meat and "putting" them together to make a new product.
    Bingo
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am more freaked out about the fact that you think your ordering a steak and you might get one of these instead.

Makes you think twice about where you eat and what you order.