eat lunch before or after workout?

Options
I'm going to the gym today on my lunch break!! YAY me!! But I'm not sure which is the best way to handle the actual act of eating my lunch. Should I eat before I exercise or afterwards when I get back from the gym???

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    depends on when you are last. If you haven't eaten since breakfast I would eat first. If you have a snack now then eat after.

No science just my opinion. I wouldn't want to be hungry and working out. It might cause you to pig out for lunch if you are starving by the time you get there.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Small snack before workout, lunch after workout. You do not want to workout on a full stomach.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    was supposed to be ate last. not are :blushing:
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Small snack before workout, lunch after workout. You do not want to workout on a full stomach.

What he said! :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

What he said! :)

I say DITO on this!
  • JMuzzy
    JMuzzy Posts: 63
    Options
    workout first, so you wont be bouncing around the gym with a full tummy. ive had breakfast too close to working out and it is not a fun feeling.
  • michaelduke31
    michaelduke31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    well, if you have to pick one or the other.... ABSOLUTELY AFTER!!! you body and your muscles need those nutriets and all the good stuff from the food to recover and to help build that body back up. have to feed the body after a great workout!

BUT.. before a good workout, it's always a good thing to eat abotu an hour before.. give your body some extra energy to get through that workout.. of course dont eat anything heavy
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    To be honest, that's probably something you'll need to try yourself - I personally can't eat before I work out as it makes me nauseated. However other people have problems with light-headedness or fainting if they don't eat before work out.

Depending on what activities you are doing, I would personally suggest a light snack (Banana/grapes) 1-2hrs before the gym, and then eat your lunch after. It makes sure your body as the nutrition it needs to get through the exercise, but without giving you the sickly feeling! - Eating lunch after you work out for most people also means that all that food you just ate is being burned off instantly.

I had a friend in the Army who said after they did their 1-2hr workout he could pretty much all the food he wanted because they taught them that the body is starving to burn something!

Good luck :)
  • Beachbean77
    Beachbean77 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I ate a snack of oatmeal at 1030 and then leaving for the gym at 1145.. so eating after should be good. I agree about the full tummy thing lol
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Adam is wise! :laugh:
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    I would rather work out either first thing in the morning or right after I get off work. (Before I eat)
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    Usually I will eat lunch then wait about 30-40 minutes to workout. Or else I will eat a power bar, workout, then have my meal. In my opinion, having something small and THEN working out is your best bet because you won't have an empty stomach but you won't be starving :)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If possible, eat half before and half after. This will give you a steady supply of fuel. However, if you're just walking, then it's good to eat before. The gentle exercise of walking helps with digestion.
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always eat afterwards because when I'm done working out I'm starving. My trainer did say to eat a small snack about an hour or two before you go. I have heard that if you don't give your food time to digest before a workout you're just going to burn off what's in your stomach and not any fat. I dont know if thats true.