Couch to 5K (start 4/4/11)

Options

Replies

• emourato
    emourato Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For those who have already started, did you guys run on a treadmill or outside?? It's a bit chilly over here but I'm wondering if I should just push through the weather or go to the gym..
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    For those who have already started, did you guys run on a treadmill or outside?? It's a bit chilly over here but I'm wondering if I should just push through the weather or go to the gym..

It's still chilly here too, but its supposed to be in the 40s-50s next week. I think that'll be good for me for running. I walked a 5K on Saturday. It was about 20 degrees, but I was fine. I wore more clothes than I probly would have if I were running, but that will give me an indication of what I should wear come Monday. Those are my thoughts anyway.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've technically started week 3, but I took a week off because work and life got too crazy. I've also been repeating weeks because I'm no where near in shape yet. So I’m sure everyone will catch up and probably pass me soon. :smile: I have my first 5k scheduled for June.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I've been doing it outside. It's easier for me to adjust my pace that way and i don't have a gym membership at the moment.

It's been anywhere between 32 and 70, but mainly in the low 40's.

When you start out, you want to be slightly chilly as you will warm up quite a bit once you're moving.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Dailymile.com is a helpful website I've found for running outside. It has a really cool mapping feature that can tell you how far you are running for a particular route. You can change it up if you are trying to find the best way to get a certain distance in. Just thought I'd share with you all. Oh, you can also post your runs on there too.
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I guess I could have put the link in here too, even though they aren't clickable...

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you have a smartphone, you can also download apps that will keep track of the timing for you, telling you when to walk and when to run.

I wish! I do have an mp3 player than I plan to download programs to though. I asked on the facebook page and they gave me a couple sites that they said were good.

What sites did they recommend?
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I would love to be a part of the group starting on 4/4/11. I have been contemplating doing this for a while so here we go! :)
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Here's one, http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html.

I know they said others, but I'm going to have to find my post...I don't know why I thought it would be easy to find.
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would love to give this a try too!
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

This is a link to the free pocasts I am using, just completed week 1 with my 7 year old daughter in tow.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Here's one I think I'd like...http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/#

I'd love any other recommendations. I think I searched on here and found a couple sites as well. The one I posted in this post I found my searching the web.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Ok, I remember now...I found two threads on the boards here that listed a few sites...I bumped them at the time, but its been a few weeks and they are not in my 'my topics' anymore, but I'm sure they can be found through the search function here.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Everyone ready to start this (or continue)?

I have thought about starting today. It will really just depend on the weather. Our forecast has t-storms in it, today and tomorrow I think. So, we'll see what I can end up doing.
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at this, I think I am going to start this morning!
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I was just looking at this, I think I am going to start this morning!
    Yay!!
  • hadley0910
    hadley0910 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am going to look into downloading a podcast, then I am headed to the track! Wish me luck :D
  • emiskins
    emiskins Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I have been putting this off for a few weeks and I really need to get started. There is a 5K in June that I would like to do. I have done this program before but I always fizzle out around week 4. Does anyone know if it is okay to do other cardio daily with the C25K? I am trying to do more cardio and 60 - 70 minutes a week just does not sound like enough.
  • pvesey
    pvesey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm planning a 5K in June so this might be inspiring to me. I did it once before but had to stop mid-way because of a surgery. This is what I need to get me back on track. Still fairly new to MFP. Do I just check back on this topic to see how everyone is doing? Or do we all become friends. Not sure of the process.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just done week 2, day 1. All good so far.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    I'm in! I'm using these podcasts: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

I've been working out 4-5 days a week, so may move through it a little faster than just 3 workouts a week. We shall see. :)

I'm treadmill-ing at the moment, but will move outside in a few weeks. My calves are really tight right now, so the treadmill is a little nicer on them.