is it normal to be THIS thirsty?

Options
im a little confused atm,
before changing my lifestyle back in January i drank 3-6 (400ml) glasses of water and was never thirsty, but now i cant stop drinking!
i tend to use walking as my exercise atm but haven't been doing any for the past two days as im playing nurse to my two little ones :(
anyway........ the past 3-4 days ive been having 8-10 glasses! thats ALOT of water but im still soooo thirsty! i have very very little salt in my diet and when checking for diabeties before january there was no sign?!:huh:
i just don't get it?!
i wont do any damage drinking this much will i?!lol

Replies

• twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Actually I was recommended to drink half my body weight in ounces...per day! I can't quite get there...am up to about 12 ounces a day now...

The more you work out...the more fluid you are burning off...drinking will keep you well hydrated!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    lol I meant 12 - 8 ounce glasses a day :)
  • michaelduke31
    michaelduke31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    from everything ive ever heard, NO damage at all! i drink a ton of water a day. probably 12, 20oz containers worth. haha. so i wouldnt worry too much. any water your body doesnt need, it will flush out! =)
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 15 to 25 8oz glasses of water a day...I'm still alive.
    When I started drinking water, I was always thirsty. It was a good thing because it helped me establish my water habit.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I went through a period where I was constantly thirsty no matter how much water I drank, so it's probably normal unless it continues for a long period of time. I know that without exercise, you should not drink more than 9 cups or so of water per day. It is too much for your body to handle. Here is an article that may help you lessen your thirst and understand how much is too much water...http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • eandrus
    eandrus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Copy and paste this link into your brower to see what the Mayo Clinic has to say about your water requirements. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283.

Also, you may have been getting extra fluid from other beverages -- have you cut out sodas or coffee (or beer)?
  • Kirsty36
    Kirsty36 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You are perfectly normal!! I started working out in January also.. I met with a dietitian and this is one of the things we touched upon... water consumption... I am at 130 lbs, (Down from about 175.. Lost 15 since January) I am 5'3 and it was recommended that I drink about 70 ounces of water per day. When it comes to water you really can't drink enough. If you are thirsty drink. If anything you are lucky because you aren't having to force yourself to drink it! It makes total sense that you are more thirsty now than you were before you started working out as you are losing that much more water during exercise... Don't worry ! You are doing a great job :) drink up!
  • mrsnorman
    mrsnorman Posts: 45
    Options
    thanks everyone! panic over! lol
  • mcbrika
    mcbrika Posts: 12
    Options
    Another point I recently discussed with an RD is that since I'm eating more protein, even in the form of protein powder as well as regular meat, I am more thirsty. Since muscle is made up of a high proportion of water, the more muscle you have the more water you require to maintain it.