Muliti-Vitamin...

Options
Any advice on a particular Multivitamin I should be taking? I want to make sure I will be taking the right one considering I've been working out and all that jazz. I just didn't know if there are ones in particular we should use?

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Take one made for women...they have more iron since we menstrate
  • gigipamw
    gigipamw Posts: 7
    Options
    I take the generic for Centrum every day. :smile:
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm not sure that it matters which brand you use, but I did have a health but lady tell me one time that she recommended the liquid kind, since it was better absorbed into your system. Often those can be expensive, so she said if I did have to resort to taking the hard pill form, to break it in half before I swallowed it. Apparently, the can be very hard for the stomach to break down...?
    She may have been a little nutty, but I think there might be some sense it that.
    I've been taking a gummy multivitamin. I love them, so I never forget to take them!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I try to take Woman's One a day and Fish Oil (since I don't do sea food). :o
    If I feel like I might get sick, working in an office does that to people, then I'll throw my Vitamin C and E in the morning.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    All my supplements include a multi, B12, calcium and fish oil
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have the problem that most multivitamins make me very sick to my stomach. Any one have any recommendations?
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I have the problem that most multivitamins make me very sick to my stomach. Any one have any recommendations?

Most times, it's the iron that makes you feel ill...try taking children's vitamins, they make gummy bear ones...you just need to take 2 instead of 1
  • vanrunninggirl
    Options
    My friend is an Ob-Gyn and she says if you're in child-bearing years it's more bang for your buck to take prenatal vitamins even if not pregnant or planning to conceive. Typically, the no-name ones are just as good as the more expensive Materna or other brands. They have increased iron and folates, which young women need. I feel much better when I'm taking them!
  • Jentorres8814
    Jentorres8814 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone ! Thank you so much for replying =) I jsut wanted to make sue I wasn't missing out on anything I might have otherwise missed.
  • mbrown0619
    Options
    I take the generic for Centrum every day. :smile:

Same here. :-D
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I had the centrum multi and it made me sick too. So I started taking it at bed time... no more sick :)
    I also take- Calcium w/vitamin D (liquid caps), Fish oil, potassium, b- complex, melatonin (at bed) and cranberry -

yah I know a lot but all Dr approved :) for my activity level, age, size and lack of certain foods- (allergies)

good luck.... the gummies are good too..just check the levels of what you are looking for... and only take the recommended dosage... more isn't always better with vitamins (your body can only process/absorb so much at a time) so you will end up wasting money if you take to many at a time.. I know my cranberry is 2 pills 2 times a day - taking 4 at a time does no good... even though it is sometimes tough to remember to take the second dose :)

good luck...
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I've been taking the Centrum Chewables-- they're not bad.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here,I'm going to get some gummy ones! :D
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I take a generic pre-natal vitamin as they have more iron than even regular women's multi's and I tend to run borderline anemic.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Just had a nutrition seminar last Friday with this subject.

In addition to the daily multivitamin (currently I'm also taking Woman a day), you should also have the following essential vitamin for woman:

- Folid Acid (total about 600); prenatal vitamin usually have 1000, so my woman a day has 400, I just need to add either 200-600 more. Personally, I won't pay for the expensive prenatal for just that reason
    - Vitamin D
    - Calcium (about 1200)
    - Omega-3 (fish oil, >1000)

You can google online to see the right amount for a woman if you like.

Just a note, not all brand has the right amount as they said they have. There are reports about lab test on various vitamin to test the content, some only have 50% as they claimed on the box, especially those club brand (Sam's, Costco). Was told the top brand which contains closes % are:
    * Usana (95%)
    * Douglas Labs (90%)
  • AprilTaurus
    Options
    My friend is an Ob-Gyn and she says if you're in child-bearing years it's more bang for your buck to take prenatal vitamins even if not pregnant or planning to conceive. Typically, the no-name ones are just as good as the more expensive Materna or other brands. They have increased iron and folates, which young women need. I feel much better when I'm taking them!
    Yeah I take the generic prenatal vitamins from Target.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The giant multi vitamins make me want to puke, so I get smaller ones made by Walgreen's gold seal (sometimes they are buy one get one free). I also take Iceland Health Fish oil (not smelly and not huge) and a petite Citrical for calcuim.