My first pair of Vibram FiveFingers

Options

Replies

• C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Dbow0207 - yeah. your feet will start to stink those things up. good thing is they are a lot easier to wash than regular shoes. if you've ever seen or had water shoes, they are just a heavy duty version of that. neoprene with a rubber bottom.

I love mine. Coming from Nike Shox I had to ease into them. I alternate my walks thru the neighborhood with my Shox and my Vibrams. If walking thru gravel, it's like walking barefoot without getting cut........ you will feel every stone. I basically use mine to run/jog on grass. I have played "21" (basketball) in 'em.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So my question is, does your feet sweat? Because after a while wont they begin to stink?

I have 4 pair. I can handle runs around 13-15 miles before I really need some forefoot cushion. I have 2 KSOs, 1 Bikila, 1 sprint.

My feet never sweat in the KSO's, but they do in he Bikila. However, the Bikila are the most comfortable by far! I get a hot spot on my big toe as well, but if I wear socks (Injinji) it fixes the prob. My KSO's never got stinky but my Bikilas do. Probably because of the sweat. Easy to spray off with the hose or toss in the wash.

Ok I got it, going to the store this weekend to check them out
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Dbow0207 - yeah. your feet will start to stink those things up. good thing is they are a lot easier to wash than regular shoes. if you've ever seen or had water shoes, they are just a heavy duty version of that. neoprene with a rubber bottom.

I love mine. Coming from Nike Shox I had to ease into them. I alternate my walks thru the neighborhood with my Shox and my Vibrams. If walking thru gravel, it's like walking barefoot without getting cut........ you will feel every stone. I basically use mine to run/jog on grass. I have played "21" (basketball) in 'em.

Ok thanks for the knowledge!
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I'm tempted, but I have plantar fasciitis and my Sports Med PT might shoot me... :blushing:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I want a pair of barefoot shoes. I've always had more back pain when I run because of how I land, but have WAY less when I run barefoot. I don't want to buy w/out trying them on and want to try some of the other variations like the Nikes etc first, but would you believe I can't find anywhere locally that sells more than just one pair (usually Vibrams) in house? I really want to go into a store and get an assessment and try different types before buying.
  • IanGiles
    IanGiles Posts: 54
    Options
    I've worn a pair of mine today for the 1st time this year... I can feel my feet humming, and not in the smelly way.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm tempted, but I have plantar fasciitis and my Sports Med PT might shoot me... :blushing:

Being barefoot and strengthening the muscles in your feet are one of the best things you can do for PF.

Warning to all you wanting to go minimalist: Please take your time to build up the muscles in your feet. Your feet are very lazy from being so supported over the years, and if you do too much too soon, you will injure yourself. I started running less than 1/4 mile in them at a time. Took me several months to get up to decent miles. There's nothing like having strong feet. Do it slow and you will be rewarded.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options

Being barefoot and strengthening the muscles in your feet are one of the best things you can do for PF.

Warning to all you wanting to go minimalist: Please take your time to build up the muscles in your feet. Your feet are very lazy from being so supported over the years, and if you do too much too soon, you will injure yourself. I started running less than 1/4 mile in them at a time. Took me several months to get up to decent miles. There's nothing like having strong feet. Do it slow and you will be rewarded.
    My ortho doc (not Sports med PT) does not want me barefoot at all. I have to wear shoes for everything except sleeping. I've had it since 2008, first the right foot, and now the left. Sports Med orthotics and taping is the only thing that's helped, I can even marathon train now. But if I walk barefoot it's like a nail driving into my heel. Maybe it's possible once I'm healed...if THAT ever happens :tongue:
  • anzura
    Options
    My ortho doc (not Sports med PT) does not want me barefoot at all. I have to wear shoes for everything except sleeping. I've had it since 2008, first the right foot, and now the left. Sports Med orthotics and taping is the only thing that's helped, I can even marathon train now. But if I walk barefoot it's like a nail driving into my heel. Maybe it's possible once I'm healed...if THAT ever happens :tongue:

Seriously, do some research on PF and barefoot running. There's a lot of people who have cured their pf by getting out of stability shoes and strength training their feet. I know it hurts :cry: I'm sorry you are dealing with that.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options

Seriously, do some research on PF and barefoot running. There's a lot of people who have cured their pf by getting out of stability shoes and strength training their feet. I know it hurts :cry: I'm sorry you are dealing with that.
    Thank you, I know you mean that :flowerforyou: I'll see what my PT says tomorrow, he's a little more open minded than my ortho doc. Just Friday he told me he'd walk around in a chicken suit all day if its "voodoo" helped heal people. Who says the Mayo Clinic is stuffy :wink:
  • anzura
    Options
    Thank you, I know you mean that :flowerforyou: I'll see what my PT says tomorrow, he's a little more open minded than my ortho doc. Just Friday he told me he'd walk around in a chicken suit all day if its "voodoo" helped heal people. Who says the Mayo Clinic is stuffy :wink:

I totally forgot to tell you...or rather ask you...if you've heard of A.R.T. Active Release Technique? My chiro who specializes in it swears to God that he can cure PF with just a few appointments.

google "active release for plantar fasciitis" and watch the vids and read the info. You might find it helpful.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I had heard that these weren't good for the leg muscles, not sure though.
  • paroxysm
    paroxysm Posts: 56
    Options
    If any of you are afraid of the 'toe' look in everyday wear- I just got some Merrell Pace Gloves that I've been using in training for my upcoming marathon. They are barefoot (with vibram soles) style without the separated toes. They have a wide toe box so your toes can spread comfortably and a 0 heel drop. If you have wide feet go for the Men's -- called the "trail glove" as the women's are narrow in the arch. Note: these are for running/walking. I have 3 pairs rotating right now along with my five fingers. one for everyday walking/errands, one for treadmill, and one for outdoor running. One of my teammates has 1,200 miles on her pace gloves and they look like nearly new so I'm optimistic on the wear of these. As far as how my feet feel in comparison to the five fingers-- There is not as much ground feedback and at first I could feel what felt like 'arch support' but after about 11 miles on each shoe, the shoes molded to my feet and that feeling went away. There IS ground feedback, just not as much. These are trail shoes, but I use them for road/pavement running and I am having no issues with that. I am starting to prefer them over my five fingers- though my bikala LS are still getting in weekly mileage of about 15 mpw. My pace gloves are putting in about 30 mpw (running)

Just food for thought. You can get them on runningwarehouse with a 15% discount (codes are readily available) -- once you know your size. Available in lavender, black, and one other color (I have black and lavender- so sorry that I don't know the other lol!) I believe REI carries them also but they are like $100 there. (with 15% on RW they were $85 and free ship.)

*if you're not a minimal/BF runner-- increase your mileage slowly please. Runners world has great articles on how to transition to minimalist shoes and/or straight barefoot running properly.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    The official position on ‘barefoot’ running by the American Podiatric Medical Association: “there is not enough research on the immediate and long term benefits of the practice, and that individuals should consult a podiatrist with a background in sports medicine to make an informed decision on all aspects of their running and training program."
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The official position on ‘barefoot’ running by the American Podiatric Medical Association: “there is not enough research on the immediate and long term benefits of the practice, and that individuals should consult a podiatrist with a background in sports medicine to make an informed decision on all aspects of their running and training program."

Buwaaaahahaha, not enough research, oh my that is funny right there, Humans have been walking barefoot for thousands of years.

Thanks for posting that, I needed a good laugh.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    If any of you are afraid of the 'toe' look in everyday wear- I just got some Merrell Pace Gloves that I've been using in training for my upcoming marathon. They are barefoot (with vibram soles) style without the separated toes. They have a wide toe box so your toes can spread comfortably and a 0 heel drop. If you have wide feet go for the Men's -- called the "trail glove" as the women's are narrow in the arch. Note: these are for running/walking. I have 3 pairs rotating right now along with my five fingers. one for everyday walking/errands, one for treadmill, and one for outdoor running. One of my teammates has 1,200 miles on her pace gloves and they look like nearly new so I'm optimistic on the wear of these. As far as how my feet feel in comparison to the five fingers-- There is not as much ground feedback and at first I could feel what felt like 'arch support' but after about 11 miles on each shoe, the shoes molded to my feet and that feeling went away. There IS ground feedback, just not as much. These are trail shoes, but I use them for road/pavement running and I am having no issues with that. I am starting to prefer them over my five fingers- though my bikala LS are still getting in weekly mileage of about 15 mpw. My pace gloves are putting in about 30 mpw (running)

Just food for thought. You can get them on runningwarehouse with a 15% discount (codes are readily available) -- once you know your size. Available in lavender, black, and one other color (I have black and lavender- so sorry that I don't know the other lol!) I believe REI carries them also but they are like $100 there. (with 15% on RW they were $85 and free ship.)

*if you're not a minimal/BF runner-- increase your mileage slowly please. Runners world has great articles on how to transition to minimalist shoes and/or straight barefoot running properly.

Thaks for the tip, I'm getting ready to buy a pair of trail gloves, do you have a link where a person can get a code for the discount?
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    That's what my Sports Med PT (Mayo Clinic) says too. He said they seem to work very well for a select few people, but not for everyone. :glasses:
  • jenbcp
    jenbcp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both have Vibrams, and we LOVE them. You seriously get a workout walking in them because you’re engaging muscles you never used to. I’ve also noticed that my posture is better, and that I feel “lighter” when I walk.

For those concerned about the way they look, the brands Merrell and Altra (coming April) have put out minimalist shoes that look like regular shoes. We’re both going to be getting a pair of Altras when they come out because our workplaces won’t allow us to wear the Vibrams. They’re zero drop!

Oh, and for the people with PF, or anyone else with foot and/or knee issues, you MUST read “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall. My cousin has had chronic foot issues, and hasn’t been able to run for years. His PT kept warning him against Vibrams, but after wearing them for 6 months he’s been running without incident.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience with these. I've been wondering about them for my next pair of running shoes.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    If anyone loves that barefoot feeling but needs something a little more work appropriate go on amazon and search for ballet flats. Recently found two brands that I LOVE- Ballasox and Yosi Samra. can wear with dress pants and don't look weird. I haven't made the jump to VFFs yet, currently running in an ultra light NB trail shoe (which i LOVE also- great transition shoe), and didn't want to ruin that with heels at work. I was finding that dress flats were not actually flat most of the time and they were freaking heavy. These ballet shoes are all flexible, have minimal soles and are super comfy. my back thanks me. I wear them even after I get home from work (true testament of a comfy shoe). Just a thought!:flowerforyou: