Not burning a lot during exercise...

Options
2»

Replies

• nomayyy
    nomayyy Posts: 28
    Options
    It really depends on the intensity and duration of the exercise, and the weight of the person. Obviously someone who weighs 200 pounds versus someone who weighs 120 pounds will burn a LOT more.
    And intensity is important too! Do you do interval training? Because if you're walking at the same speed for a straight 20 minutes, you're going to burn less then someone who switches it up to warm up, fast walking, moderate pace, to fast walking and so on every few minutes. And if you're using the eliptical machine, you have to put up the resistance and also do interval training to get maximum calorie burn!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    It is your workouts. I start mine with 30-45 min cardio (running doesnt burn much for me so I do stairs or eliptical and/or jump roping) then I do 20-40 interval/circuit traning. Thats burns tons of calories. Last week a 90 min session burned almost 900 calories. You need to hike up the intensity and get a HRM. Check out my workouts I posted the last 2 days. They will burn over 300 calories no problem. If I do not go over 500 calories I will keep going; good luck :)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    It is your workouts. I start mine with 30-45 min cardio (running doesnt burn much for me so I do stairs or eliptical and/or jump roping) then I do 20-40 interval/circuit traning. Thats burns tons of calories. Last week a 90 min session burned almost 900 calories. You need to hike up the intensity and get a HRM. Check out my workouts I posted the last 2 days. They will burn over 300 calories no problem. If I do not go over 500 calories I will keep going; good luck :)
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    How long are you working out for? And what are you doing?
    I use a HRM and burn 110+ calories per 10 mins or so.

generally I will work out 30-60 minutes... just depends on the day. Usually I will switch around on cardio machines to get variety and end up burning 200 something on those, then I will do weights, then I will walk about a mile on a track which takes about 20 minutes. I don't have a HRM but I just ordered one online so hopefully it will help.

It usually takes me 2 hours to burn 1200 calories. But it is all high intensity cardio.
    However, I also take blood pressure medication. And it becomes difficult to reach my target heart rate. Sometimes I can barely reach 800 calories in 2 hours. So I try to wait till after my workout to take my meds.
    If you use medication for anything, make sure it is not affecting your ability to reach your targeted heart rate.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I would also mention that it matters how much you weigh, and/or how much you need to lose.
    When I weighted 269, I burned about 200 more cals in the same workout than I do now, simply because I was moving more weight around.

I can still bust out a 1000+ burn, but heck I am still in the 220's.
    Also, I firmly believe if you service your body like the precision machine it is, then it will perform better altogether...I don't put 15 gallons of gas in my 45 gallon fuel tank and wonder why it won't just coast on the fumes. Same with fueling my body for optimum performance. Feed it to lose it.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me you don't eat back the calories as its pointless doing the exercise in the 1st place then !!
    You are mean't to burn as many calories as you eat in a day....remember that sitting down burns calories too as does everyday living

I work out 6 days a week and go on the calories my treadmill says ....even though I really push it with hand weights ect I don't add extra cals burn't.......I then dog walk and sort horses so my calories burnt add up

Stay strong and concentrate on yourself hun :)

Uhhhh...not to start another war, but...

Yes, you burn calories just living. That's what MFP takes into account when assigning us a number to start from, then subtracting calories to fit our goals of 1 - 2 pounds of loss per week.

So, it's not pointless. Exercise is to strengthen muscles, build endurance, increase our lungs efficiency (along with most other bodily functions), etc. It's not just about the calories burned. So...if you're all ready operating at a loss to lose weight, and you burn more calories from exercise, calories need to be gained back 1) to replenish the nutrients burned during that exercise, and 2) to get back to the level of calories needed to create a deificit to lose weight.

If that's too complicated, please go here: www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    How long are you working out for? And what are you doing?
    I use a HRM and burn 110+ calories per 10 mins or so.

I only burn about 40 calories per 10 minutes :sad: What am I doing wrong? I am often going over my max heart rate so it's not that I'm not pushing hard enough...
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    How are you logging your caloric burn? Is it with a HRM, or using the MFP (or other website) database?

What are your eating habits like?

I log my calories with MFP, I don't have a HRM but I just ordered one online so it will be here soon :)

I eat very healthy, usually only drink water or low cal drinks, eat fruits, veggies, non/lowfat dairies, whole grains etc.

Good job on the HRM. MFP consistently undercalculated my caloric burn by a few hundred calories. With the HRM, I'm getting a more accurate picture of what I am doing during an exercise.

For the past week, I've burned:
    - 765 calories in 75 minutes
    - 803 calories in 25 minutes
    - 829 calories in 78 minutes
    - 495 calories in 45 minutes
    - 952 calories in 80 minutes
    - 651 calories in 74 minutes
    - 769 calories in 59 minutes (today)

I'm not exactly the most physically fit guy. I'm also 5'11" and 197 pounds. I'm definitely going to burn more than a 5'2" 135 lb female, when doing the same activity at around the same exertion level. Hell...some days I'm really feeling it and hit every activity harder, while others I wimp out a little and take it easy. It can mean a difference of 100-200 calories from the week before. Your attitude and intensity level can play a big part in your caloric burn.

Do you eat three larger meals a day, or three smaller meals with snacks in between? I've switched to the later and it has really helped me to fit in the extra calories I need, and helped regulate my blood sugars quite a bit. I used to get weekly migraines, but now I am down to about one or two a month.