OT Stress at work...

Options
I'm sorry guys, but I really have to vent right now. My boyfriend and I work for the same company and this morning he got called into our boss's office. Apparently someone has said that he has been falsifying his time sheet. We have electronic time sheets that we fill out ourselves so it is actually possible. The thing that kills me is they won't give him any specifics on the matter. They can't or won't tell him if it was 15 mins or 15 days. They also can't or won't tell him if it was last week or last year. We have worked here together full time for almost a year and there's only been 2 days that he's taken off that I haven't. For the days I've taken off and he has too, our time sheets look identical. Nobody will tell him who has instigated this mess or anything. And he might be getting FIRED because of it. I really don't want him to get fired because he could lose his house not to mention other things. I really wish there was something I could do. He doesn't want me to get involved for fear that they might try to fire me as well. Personally I wouldn't give a darn if they did, I really dislike my job. If anybody out there can think of anything I might could do, I'd really appreciate it. If not, thanks for listening to me let out my anxiety and frustrations. :ohwell:

Replies

• SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, but I really have to vent right now. My boyfriend and I work for the same company and this morning he got called into our boss's office. Apparently someone has said that he has been falsifying his time sheet. We have electronic time sheets that we fill out ourselves so it is actually possible. The thing that kills me is they won't give him any specifics on the matter. They can't or won't tell him if it was 15 mins or 15 days. They also can't or won't tell him if it was last week or last year. We have worked here together full time for almost a year and there's only been 2 days that he's taken off that I haven't. For the days I've taken off and he has too, our time sheets look identical. Nobody will tell him who has instigated this mess or anything. And he might be getting FIRED because of it. I really don't want him to get fired because he could lose his house not to mention other things. I really wish there was something I could do. He doesn't want me to get involved for fear that they might try to fire me as well. Personally I wouldn't give a darn if they did, I really dislike my job. If anybody out there can think of anything I might could do, I'd really appreciate it. If not, thanks for listening to me let out my anxiety and frustrations. :ohwell:
  • Kylie30
    Kylie30 Posts: 16
    Options
    This will work itself out. I agree with Maximus about it being a sensitive situation. Your man does not want you to lose your job! All he can do is be straight up about it. If they find a mistake he will need to own it and move forward. He can arrange to make up the time or eat it or get his pay docked for it. Hopefully they take a good look at the work he does and find him more valuable than the one mistake they found.

Chin up!
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    I hate to say this but companies won't go down this road unless they have sufficient evidence. My initial thought is that because your B/F doesn't want you involved, he may not want you hearing the evidence.

I could be wrong but again, companies are pretty careful when it comes to HR matters.

Is it a small company?

No, its a rather large government contracting company. And yes I know most companies usually cover their butts really well when it comes to HR matters, but honestly there's no way to prove if he was here or not. We do our own time sheets. Its not like we have to clock in or anything. More like an honor system. So some had to have said something to our boss or I don't think it would ever have become an issue. I would know, however, if he wasn't coming to work or leaving early or anything b/c I drive him to work and take him home everyday. And on the not hearing the evidence part. There really wouldn't be anyway to avoid it, lol. I'm in the office right beside our boss and even with his door shut I can hear everything he says. I dunno we just work for a bunch of jerks. Whoever has their head the farthest up the correct butt gets the farthest in their career. I could tell you somethings about what happens with your tax dollars that would make you want to choke someone, but I'll refrain at the moment.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but companies won't go down this road unless they have sufficient evidence. My initial thought is that because your B/F doesn't want you involved, he may not want you hearing the evidence.

I could be wrong but again, companies are pretty careful when it comes to HR matters.

Is it a small company?

I mean no disrespect, but this is kinda my take, as well-- I hope I'm wrong. Is this the boyfriend that still is attached to his ex-wife? Or am I getting you confused with another poster from an old post? I hope my gut is wrong-- could just be the yogurt I had for lunch coming back on me, but I'm not getting good feelings.
  • PishPish97
    Options
    I met my boyfriend at my last job. Shortly after we started dating, he was fired. They gave him some lame excuse, which I don't remeber. Six months later I found an even better job working for the government and he found a union job. Needless to say we both make about 3 times the money we did at our previous jobs plus we both have excellent benefit packages.
  • SilverVal
    SilverVal Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    is this a union company

if so get your shop steward involved now

your boyfriend has the right to see the facts or to at elast know the facts so he and the steward can properly present the facts.

I was a steward for 12 years, not sure if and when I will get back in to it, I stopped due to survivign cancer
  • kenkraft
    kenkraft Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I run a company. If he didn't do it, then there's no evidence against him. I will tell you that if they got a tip and have no evidence, it would be appropriate to confront him to see how he reacts. Most people really don't lie well. If he's innocent he needs to work through it. It happens all the time unfortunately.

Many states, including mine, have an "at will" labor policy, which means I can fire anyone at any time for no reason at all. Having said that, the lawyers usually end up working that out because you cannot legally discriminate.

I'm not so inclined to think he did anything though. You'd be surprised how many unscrupulous people play politics and offer tips that just aren't true. My advice to you is to stay out of it completely. There's nothing you can do but get in the way which will hurt your employment.

My last thought is that if they had evidence, he would have been terminated on the spot. So hang in there!!!
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    is this a union company

if so get your shop steward involved now

your boyfriend has the right to see the facts or to at elast know the facts so he and the steward can properly present the facts.

I was a steward for 12 years, not sure if and when I will get back in to it, I stopped due to survivign cancer

I'm not really sure about that. (This is my first full-time job.) But I think so, because we have a union representative. Or there is one at work. It gets confusing because some of the employees are government and some work for contracting companies like myself. So there are several different sets of rules depending upon who you actually work for. I'll let him know that this might be an option toward getting the facts. Thanks.
  • SuzieQT
    Options

Is it a small company?

I mean no disrespect, but this is kinda my take, as well-- I hope I'm wrong. Is this the boyfriend that still is attached to his ex-wife? Or am I getting you confused with another poster from an old post? I hope my gut is wrong-- could just be the yogurt I had for lunch coming back on me, but I'm not getting good feelings.

He's not still attached to his wife in any way other than on paper and through his children. I really doubt that he wouldn't want me hearing the evidence seeing as how I know exactly when he's at work and when he's not and he and I went over his time sheet together to make sure they matched minus the two days he took off that I didn't. You're probably just getting bad feelings for the same reason I am. The fact that they'll probably fire him regardless of whether or not they have proof just to be on the safe side.
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    I run a company. If he didn't do it, then there's no evidence against him. I will tell you that if they got a tip and have no evidence, it would be appropriate to confront him to see how he reacts. Most people really don't lie well. If he's innocent he needs to work through it. It happens all the time unfortunately.

Many states, including mine, have an "at will" labor policy, which means I can fire anyone at any time for no reason at all. Having said that, the lawyers usually end up working that out because you cannot legally discriminate.

I'm not so inclined to think he did anything though. You'd be surprised how many unscrupulous people play politics and offer tips that just aren't true. My advice to you is to stay out of it completely. There's nothing you can do but get in the way which will hurt your employment.

My last thought is that if they had evidence, he would have been terminated on the spot. So hang in there!!!

Yeah we have the "at will" labor policy here as well. He and I both came to the conclusion that they're just checking with the HR people to make sure they won't have a lawsuit on their hands if they do fire him. Our entire company is based almost solely on politics. I was passed over for a promotion to a job that I had already been doing without getting paid extra. I'm not saying the MAN who got the job isn't doing a good job. He's doing fine. I had seniority and experience over him. Other than that our resumes were about the same. The only difference was he was a MAN and had his head up the correct butt. Political work places suck.