Tattoo Fanatics I need advice

Options
bzmom
bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
Hello first off let me say I have never in my life gotten a tattoo. With that said, I want to get one. For my first tattoo (<-- I know I said first gotta see if I can handle the pain) I would like three flowers fixed just right together and with a quote somewhere in there. My problem is Im not artistic or have many ideas. This is where you come in. Can you advice? or is this something to talk about with the tattoo artist?

I would like 3 flowers these flowers are Lakspur, Calendula, and Lily of the Valley. I picked these flowers because they represent each month of my children birth. Im also still undecided on the quote I like 2 of them. 1) “A mother understands what a child does not say” 2)“Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life”

Thoughts?

Replies

• shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Talk to your tattoo artist. They should be able to draw what you want and will give the best advice since they will see where you want it, size, etc.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go to a tat artist with your ideas, it sounds like you have what you want in your head. If you find a good artist, they will be able to draw out exactly what you want. You could look up some pics of the flowers, just to give them an idea....

Good luck, and I promise it doesn't hurt that bad♥
  • BriannaSkye
    BriannaSkye Posts: 135
    Options
    Take a photo of each of the flowers in with you and have them sketch something out for you....I personally find tattoos annoying rather than painful. I have one on my foot, hip, thigh, 2 on my back and one on my wrist, desiging another one at the moment
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The tattoo artist I work with LOVES to have people ask for advice! ( I have 8 of them!) He tells me it's a challenge. It may take them a while to get something together though. I would just go to a local shop or ask/research around for a shop with good reviews. Tell them your idea and go from there. I love that idea and the 2nd quote!! I think it could def turn into a gorgeous tattoo! Good luck!
  • promiseskept
    Options
    We give our children two things. One is roots and the other is wings.

watching them bloom.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    These ladies beat me to it. Spend the time to find a great tattoo guy or gal and then sit down and talk with them about you idea and the emotions behind the idea. A good one will be able to really translate that to your skin.
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First, I love your idea, especially with the flowers. (I don't have any but I like tats and I know I will want to do something to symbolize them)

Look for some tattoos/pictures that you like (even if they are not together) so that you can bring it to the artist. He/She could probably draw something out for you. And second, take your time. It can take me months to find exactly what I am looking for so don't rush. It is permanent. :-) And personally, I like the first quote.

P.S. Yay for May baby :-)
  • ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    Options
    We give our children two things. One is roots and the other is wings.
    watching them bloom.

That is awesome!! thank you!
  • bzmom
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I do have pictures of each one separate becuase I want to make sure they get the right flowers. LOL!!!

Redheadedsunsh- My may baby is my baby she is 1yr old and the only girl the other 2 are boys!
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    Take a photo of each of the flowers in with you and have them sketch something out for you....I personally find tattoos annoying rather than painful. I have one on my foot, hip, thigh, 2 on my back and one on my wrist, desiging another one at the moment

This is a good idea... or scour the the interwebs for pics of the flowers you like, shot in the angle that you like.... The artist should take it from there.
    I have about 45 hrs of tat work and my left arm is branded, and also agree that tats are more annoying then anything. Just be prepared and take a bottle of juice or ginger ale with you the day of.... the sugars will keep you from passing out :)
  • lynx__13
    lynx__13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Print off the flowers you want (pics from the internet are good) and take these to the tattoo artist to discuss the layout of the flowers and any colors you want. The artist will take what you guys talk about and come up with a sketch of the tattoo for you to decide on. Make sure you speak your mind on how you want it to look because its forever :)

My first tattoo was a large Phoenix on my back and took 3.5 hours and I had no idea how much it'd hurt. I have a decent tolerance for pain and it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be. But, so far as pain goes, i've never had kids, lol so i'm sure you'll be fine :)
  • insatiable_lilly
    Options
    I like to think of myself as an informed body-modifier, so I thought I'd share my two cents :)

I love your idea for your first tat. I dislike tattoos that are arbitrary, and I believe that if you're going to put something permanent on your body, you need to have a story to go with it. I am also a mom, so a tribute to your children is a good start.

I am enough of an artist to draw up my own tattoos, and my friends', but if you don't know anyone who can collaborate with you on this endeavor, a good tattoo artist will be more than happy to draw something up for you and play with ideas until you find the perfect design. Shape/size of the tattoo can also be related to where you will be getting it on your body, so there's lots of factors.

On a personal note, I love the second quote, about children being their mother's anchor. It actually made me tear up a bit. I'm a big softy when it comes to children.

And of course, getting the tattoo over a fleshy part of your body will hurt less than over a boney area, like your spine or feet. So if pain is a factor, just keep that in mind. Mine always feel more like a bad sunburn, except the one on the back of my neck, which felt like hornet stings. But everyone is different!

Good luck to you. I'm sure it will be beautiful. I'd love to see a pic of the completed design if you'd like to share. And beware, because tattoos are addicting! I'd be covered if I had the cash. Getting #10 and #11 on Friday. My sleeve is almost complete!!

<3
  • bzmom
    Options
    This is why I said my first tattoo I am thinking of getting a phoenix done when I reach my goal!!! Thanks for the input!
    Print off the flowers you want (pics from the internet are good) and take these to the tattoo artist to discuss the layout of the flowers and any colors you want. The artist will take what you guys talk about and come up with a sketch of the tattoo for you to decide on. Make sure you speak your mind on how you want it to look because its forever :)

My first tattoo was a large Phoenix on my back and took 3.5 hours and I had no idea how much it'd hurt. I have a decent tolerance for pain and it wasn't as bad as i thought it'd be. But, so far as pain goes, i've never had kids, lol so i'm sure you'll be fine :)
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Just wanted ot say good luck!
    must post a pic when it is done :)

I am in the boat of getting another tatt and could use some ideas
    Brace yourself...but I want to get something to do with LOVE (believe/hope)

This past year as sucked big time....won't go into too much detail but was completely blind sided when i found out my husdand of 13yrs and bf for 20yrs (known each other since we were 16) had been cheating for the past 3 yrs (seriel cheater would be an understatement..multiple people)

For me I still beleive in LOVE and second chances and hope for ther future....

any ideas...or any websites to check out?
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    BZMOM, HEY GILRLIE!! I HAVE 3 TATTOOS AND THEY ALL MEAN SOMETHING TO ME. YOU WILL NEED TO TALK TO AND TRUST WHO IS GOING TO "BRAND" YOU AND ALSO ASK FRIENDS THAT YOU KNOW OF WHO HAVE TATS, WHERE'S THE BEST PLACE. I LOVE THAT YOUR GETTING FLOWERS THOUGH, SOUNDS PRETTY ALREADY....WHEN YOU GET IT DONE I DEFINATELY WANT TO SEE PICTURES!!! GOOD LUCK ON THIS JOURNEY :heart:
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    I have 9 tattoos. Each one of them sounded like a great idea at the time. But there is only 2 that I currently am happy to have.
    I know it's hard to know what your mind set will be 20 years from now, but you have to try and imagine if the tattoo you get today is something you're going to want to be seen with in 20 years.
    hope this helps.
    :smile:
  • sewele
    sewele Posts: 27
    Options
    First off... this will be a big tattoo. Where on your body are you going to get it? and that quotes will have to be just outside the flowers b/c if not then it will bleed in with the coloring. I would sit down with a tattoo artist and he will outline everything for you usually. That's what mine did.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Go to a GOOD tatoo artist, talk to people in your area who have them and find out where they got them if you like their ink. Then discuss with the artist, my artist created mine from my description and I love it. As far as the pain, mine took 3 hours, it hurts for just the first few minutes then your bodys endorphins kick in and it does not hurt. When you are done it just feels a bit like a sun burn. You can take it BZ! I know you can girl! What you want has a beautiful meaning, also ask them to draw it up and let you take it home to ponder it, they may also offer to ink transfer it onto you so you can see it (usually no color, just an outline). Mine did this for me as I was very hesitant at first, so I got the transfer and showed it to my family.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have an artist already picked out, but you should discuss what you want with them. Bring pictures of your flowers taken at different angles. Pick out the font style that you want the writing. Discuss everything with the artist. I didn't notice if you said where you were putting the tattoo. One more thing to talk to the artist about.

Good luck & definitely post pictures!
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    First and foremost make an effort to visit at least 2 if not 3 different shops even if you feel good about the first one you go to. Find an artist that takes appointments because most likely that artist has been around a while and will do a great job. I'm not trying to discount other artists, but if you want someone to do a great job on it, do some homework! You will have it on your body FOREVER! There are a lot of good tattoos and tattoo artists out there, but there is really a big difference between good and great.

Next, I'm going to say what most have said already, but emphasizing for a different reason. Take the pictures you have to the tattoo artist, make sure you have the quote exactly figured out (they probably won't give a crap what it says) and let them do the drawing. I say let the tattoo artist do the drawing for two reasons:
    1. The artist will be familiar with the lines of the art work that they created and probably give you a better tattoo. They will be excited to give someone a tattoo that they created rather than someone else's art.
    2. The most important thing in my mind, a good tattoo artist will be able to translate those pictures and your quote into a tattoo that looks great, not just okay. A lot of pictures or drawings look great on paper but don't translate well to tattoos.