could "lent" be hurting my diet???

Options
so this year, i decided that i wanted to give up something really challenging! since i have been doing so good with my diet and exercise, i really wanted to challenge myself! i decided to give up cheese! anyone that knows me, knows this is huge! i eat cheese daily...sometimes a few times a day. cheese sticks, laughing cow, babybel, etc as a snack. so this has been super difficult for me! (but thats the point, right?) so now ive been looking back at my diary noticed that since lent began....my diet has taken a severe nose-dive! i have heard that when you crave something and you dont give into your craving...you will eat everything in site to attempt to fullfill that craving. now im wondering if my giving up cheese is to blame? i crave it constantly! if so...it is going to be a long journey to Easter!!!! i will continue to not eat cheese because this is important to me and i will just kick butt once lent is over, but i just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this! thanks :smile:

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    wow, what a sacrifice!
  • liftnat
    liftnat Posts: 8
    Options
    lent is not hurting your diet. if you use myfitnesspal daily and stick to the calorie recommendations, it doesn't matter what you take away (or for that matter put in) from your daily diet.

sure, you may have cravings, but it's still total daily calories that matter. if you had a new craving for chocolate ice cream, then you eat it, but you still make sure you don't go over the daily caloric limit.

if you really want to challenge yourself for lent, then try not letting giving up one craving turn into another craving. at the end of the day, the cravings are ruling you and lent is a time for you to develop stronger self-control.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I gave up cheese too, and it's nearly killing me. I keep trying to convince myself that a cheese substitute isn't cheese, but I've yet to cave.

If you're eating 8 things because you want cheese and numbers 1-7 weren't cheese, then, yes giving it up is hurting your diet. If you were really eating that much before, maybe you could modify your commitment to only an ounce a day or something so that the cravings don't kill you but you're still making a sacrafice? Or option 2, keep out the cheese and add to your commitment that your not gonna let a cheese craving make you eat anything you wouldn't normally. Sucky choices, I know. :-p

Good luck!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Maybe a creamy yogurt dip or light sour cream to give food a cheesy texture might help? I can give up cheese....giving up sour cream on the other hand....OUCH! Good luck, I admire your commitment!
  • francinev97
    Options
    My advice is to stay strong and keep to your lent. I think giving in would only make you feel guilty and then want to over eat... at least thats how i am. This year I gave up drinking everything but water, and I'm craving tea so bad. OH HOW I MISS TEA ;0)
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Maybe a creamy yogurt dip or light sour cream to give food a cheesy texture might help? I can give up cheese....giving up sour cream on the other hand....OUCH! Good luck, I admire your commitment!

thats actually a great idea. i do like sour cream, and it could work. thanks!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I have totally given up candy, cookies, desserts of any kind for Lent. I only had them in moderation to begin with but I know occasionally I feel like something and it has been challenging at times. It didn't help that I got my order of Girl Scout Thin Mints after Lent started! :) My husband has given up breakfast for Lent. I have worried that he is messing up his metabolism by only going to two square meals a day but he really felt impressed to do it. I know some people are allowing Sundays to be an off of Lent day so if you are one of them you could have some cheese on a Sunday. I am not allowing myself off on Sunday but to each their own. When we deprive ourselves of something we do tend to think of it more often. Actually the idea of Lent is not only to give something up but that each time you think/crave the thing you gave up it reminds you to pray and draw closer to God. May God bless you in your journey.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have totally given up candy, cookies, desserts of any kind for Lent. I only had them in moderation to begin with but I know occasionally I feel like something and it has been challenging at times. It didn't help that I got my order of Girl Scout Thin Mints after Lent started! :) My husband has given up breakfast for Lent. I have worried that he is messing up his metabolism by only going to two square meals a day but he really felt impressed to do it. I know some people are allowing Sundays to be an off of Lent day so if you are one of them you could have some cheese on a Sunday. I am not allowing myself off on Sunday but to each their own. When we deprive ourselves of something we do tend to think of it more often. Actually the idea of Lent is not only to give something up but that each time you think/crave the thing you gave up it reminds you to pray and draw closer to God. May God bless you in your journey.

it reminds me to be strong in my dedication and faith every time i think of it. i think of what giving in to my cravings would mean and it keeps me away! so, it has many levels/meanings for me. i already dont eat sugary stuff, read meat or fast food which are the "normals" i think for lent so i had to think of something really good. this has been the hardest challenge yet but its worth it in the end!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you picked cheese. It is a good source or protien and calcium. I know that is not the point.

Make sure you are substituting the cheese with something that will be equally satisfying, but not too heavy in calories.

Try Hummus, or some other dip that you can fit into the non cheese catagory. I know if I had to give up something that was a staple in my diet something else would need to replace it.