Pasta substitutes

Options
13»

Replies

• sellingsworth
    Options
    Have you tried cauliflower - Just steam it until al dente - then put your sauce over it - with the sauce over it - it looks like pasta. Try it
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa? Either pasta made with its flour, or straight up?

Cooked quinoa is a great source of iron, manganese, potassium, riboflavin, copper, phosphorous, tryptophan, B6, niacin and thiamine. One cup of cooked quinoa has only 220 calories. It also has 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.

I'm glad someone mentioned the quinoa pasta option. It performs perfectly as pasta in your normal pasta dishes, has great taste and is very good for you!

Also, I've been using millet instead of rice with great results lately. Delicious too!!

good luck and happy eating

Can you buy Quinoa pasta in the supermarket or do you have to special order it?
  • dls06
    Options
    Have you tried cauliflower - Just steam it until al dente - then put your sauce over it - with the sauce over it - it looks like pasta. Try it

I'm trying it for dinner tonight. Thanks
  • kalongi
    kalongi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    -Tofu Shirataki noodles (4 oz. is only 20 calories vs. 2 oz. of regular pasta at around 200 calories), available in the Asian section of your grocery store.

-FiberGourmet pasta (approx. 130 calories per serving, plus 18 grams of fiber), purchase online at www.fibergourmet.com, or check out their listing of retailers that carry it.
  • Jazzy_Maria
    Jazzy_Maria Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Check out Dreamfields Pasta. It's only 5g of carbs per serving, high in fiber and a low glycemic index. I made the switch and no one in my family knew the difference. It's excellent stuff!

this is exactly what I was going to say! 3/4 of a cup for only 190 cal!!! and you can't tell it's not just regular old macaroni. just make sure not to overcook it (follow the cook time on the box) cause whatever the stuff is on it that helps you absorb less carbs starts to break down the longer it cooks.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Cooked quinoa is a great source of iron, manganese, potassium, riboflavin, copper, phosphorous, tryptophan, B6, niacin and thiamine. One cup of cooked quinoa has only 220 calories. It also has 5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein.

I'm glad someone mentioned the quinoa pasta option. It performs perfectly as pasta in your normal pasta dishes, has great taste and is very good for you!

Also, I've been using millet instead of rice with great results lately. Delicious too!!

I'm able to buy it at my local natural foods coop or at a Whole Foods type store. I'm fortunate to live in an area with lots of health food shopping options.
  • dls06
    Options

I'm able to buy it at my local natural foods coop or at a Whole Foods type store. I'm fortunate to live in an area with lots of health food shopping options.

I have a Whole foods near me, I'm going today. Thanks so much.
  • E2011
    E2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have several pasta recipes that are all under 400 calories some under 300 calories. The main ingredient in achieving this is the type of cheese you use. I always use fat free cheeses. Trader Joe's is the best when it comes to this because they have a really extensive selection. Also, use olive oil instead of butter, two tablespoons is more than enough. Of course portion control is a factor as well, and I know you've heard it a thousands times but it really does work, most people just don't want to do it. Drink a glass of water before and after you eat and wait at least 5-7 minutes. You will see that this seriously diminishes the likely hood of going back for seconds. When you do however, they will be much smaller because not drinking enough water mimics hunger.

Check out the recipe below. Note that I didn't add the three cloves of minced garlic or red pepper flakes because they're calorie, fat, and carb free. The garlic has a little bit of sodium per clove but nothing that would touch your daily intake...unless of course you struggle with sodium. These types of dressings give dishes very pronounced flavors and put virtually no dent in the meals nutritional value....feel free to go crazy with them. Onions are the same way. A large onion is about 75 calories so you can't really go wrong.

Spinach and Feta Pasta
    Serves 5 people

Trader Joes - Crimini Mushrooms, 1 cup
    Trader Joe's - Fat Free Crumbled Feta, 1 container (6 oz ea.)
    Whole Foods Market 365 Everyday Value - Whole Wheat Penne Rigate, 0.7 container (5 3/10 cup (56g) dries ea.)
    Cherry Berries - Grape Tomatoes Raw Red , 24 tomatoes
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped
    Olivia's - Organic Baby Spinach, 2 cups
    Trader Giotto's - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbspn

Per Serving: 353 calories; 55 carbs; 7 fat; 19 protein; 364 potassium; 336 sodium

If this looks like something you would eat, let me know and I'll post the cooking instructions.
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy quinoa in its regular form (it's actually a seed) you can cook it in a rice cooker using the same timing for white rice. I get a pretty big bag of it at costco for a reasonable price.

I have heard about it but have never seen it in the store. Do you get it in the supermarket or is it something you have to special order.
    Also, is it like barley in it's natural form?
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    i agree... just cut down in portion and watch what u mix the pasta with.