What to eat when you can't have wheat???

Options
Just found out from my doctor that I have a wheat intolerance. I'm not allergic, so I don't have to worry about that, but she says that cutting it out of my diet might help with my fatigue and tiredness. Unfortunately, I LOVE wheat products … tortillas, pasta, sandwiches, pretty much anything made with wheat. I've been trying for a week to cut it out, but I haven't even made it through one day yet. Ugh :grumble:

Does anyone have any suggestions for substitutes. I'm especially interested in bread, crackers, tortillas, and pasta options.

Replies

• Bachelle
    Options
    Just found out from my doctor that I have a wheat intolerance. I'm not allergic, so I don't have to worry about that, but she says that cutting it out of my diet might help with my fatigue and tiredness. Unfortunately, I LOVE wheat products … tortillas, pasta, sandwiches, pretty much anything made with wheat. I've been trying for a week to cut it out, but I haven't even made it through one day yet. Ugh :grumble:

Does anyone have any suggestions for substitutes. I'm especially interested in bread, crackers, tortillas, and pasta options.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Can you have things like rice crackers or pasta? Rice pasta is quite good, I think. I'm sure other people have better suggestions, but you should look into your rice options. Some of them are very good.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    If you have a Whole Foods near you, there's a huge selection of wheat and gluten free products.

Rice pasta is a good substitute, and there are these great wheat-free cracker things by Mary's organic that are really good.

Bread is tricky, others might have better suggestions. There are really good brown rice tortillas to be had, but for tortillas, I've switched over to corn.

It's really difficult to avoid. If you google "celiac" you'll find lots of sites, some with local restaurant guides and product ideas.

Good luck:flowerforyou: .
  • christelpistol
    christelpistol Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    just be careful. i have heard of people with wheat allergies who cant have the most random stuff like margarine.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    For tortillas you can use corn tortillas. I tend to go for them more often anyway because I like the flavor.
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    And licorice! Weird, huh? :sad:
  • Bachelle
    Options
    I think there is a Whole Foods store in my town. I will definitely go check them out. Keeping my fingers crossed that they have some good options.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    my mum buys the wheat free bread 'spelt bread'

i have started buying it too just cuz its so yummy :drinker:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The options for wheat free eaters are just incredible - although you will miss old favs, there are substitutions for pretty much everything. Whole Foods or any natural food store (or even a large chain grocery store) will have lots of options.

We went wheat free for a while hoping to clear up some eczema for my son. We all adapted well!
    :flowerforyou:
    Good luck!
  • Akasa
    Akasa Posts: 25
    Options
    Just this past year my mother found out she's allergic to wheat and has gone to basically making almost all food herself.
    She relies heavily on the gluten free products, but there's all kinds of things that they sneak into food that is wheat or a wheat dirivitive.
    If you pm me your email I'll have her email you much more detail.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    One of my magazines had a recipe for making pasta noodles from butternut squash :)

It'll be a good time to experiment with good recipes :)

Like others said... check out Whole Foods!
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    I know this post came up a long time ago, but I just came over it again. This website, http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/, has a lot of gluten-free recipes. Many of them aren't really for dieting, but a few of them are, and there are many that could be altered to be diet-friendly. The best part is everything is made in the crock pot!!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    mary's crackers are a great sub for most crackers and super yummy!
    tapioca bread is ok, but not even close really unless you make the wheat free breads at home.
    Zbar cliff kids makes a great wheat free snack bar
    bob's red mill makes a great whole grain Wheat free bread mix.
    georges brownies (sold in the freezer section) are soooo good for a treat
    check out the allergy grocer online. great items there

are you GF or just wheat free?