Eating too much sugar?

Options
I don't really eat sweets (baked good, candies, soda, ect.... *drools*) but get most of my sugar from fruits. This morning I had three servings of fruit (grapes, an apple, a banana put in the blender with some water) and I've already gone over in my sugars by 11.. I was hoping to have veggies with dinner, should I not? I go over on sugars daily though I'm not eating poorly! Should I be looking for fruits with a lower sugar content?

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    This is why I no longer track sugars..Sugar from fruit and veggies are good for you.. dont worry about going over!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It depends on your health. A diabetic totally needs to track sugars. I track mine because I have PCOS and my body is insulin resistant...which means too much sugar converts to fat. So it definately a personal choice.
  • nelliemagine
    nelliemagine Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I go over EVERY day on my sugars as well. I quit paying attention to it unless it's extreme. It's frustrating and discouraging to see the red all the time.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    By all means, absolutely eat your veggies! Those are sooooo good for you, nutritionally. Low in carbs, low in sugars, high in nutrients.....don't cut them out just b/c you ate a lot of fruit. I wouldn't worry too much about the fruit unless you are really clean with your diet, but finding yourself stagnating in your overall goal for weight loss/tone. For ex., if you have lost all the weight you want, but still have some belly fat you can't move, or you want to get more cut, then you may want to tighten up on your sugars/carbs, even the natural ones. Replacing higher sugar content fruits (like bananas) with lower ones (like berries), will of course be beneficial, but for most people, they will notice that in their tastebuds over the waistline (if that makes sense!).
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with sandram. I generally just track my fiber and overall carbohydrates rather then my sugar because I also eat a lot of fruit and I refuse to stop. :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You can gain weight from too much fruit.

But I have set up my sugar at 25g and I only count added sugar.

Natural sugars fall under the Carb totals so they do count somewhere. Fruits and veggies have fiber so it slows down the sugar digestion and you don't get the insulin spike (big spikes aren't good for fat burning). If you notice the carbs in milk are the same number as the sugar in milk. The carbs are the sugar.

So worry about carb numbers when it comes to natural sugars and about sugar numbers when it comes to added sugar. If it has corn syrup, HFCS, or anything ending in -ose then there is added sugar.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I made a similar post not too long ago, and the general consensus from the community here was that as long as those sugars are coming from natural foods (and are not artificially added), then you shouldn't worry about it. I eat lots of fruit and drink juice like a maniac -- at this point I ignore going over on my sugars. I still track them, however, because it's interesting to know what has how much in it (for foods that aren't fruits and juices) and it's surprised me a few times.
  • Sherry44
    Sherry44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I go over in sugar a lot too. What I monitor is whether I'm over in sugar from fruits or nonsense things like alcohol, ice cream, baked goods, etc...
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I get pretty irritated with this too. On the days I eat really well (sometimes I don't!), I usually go over on my sugars because of the fruit I eat. I'm thinking about not tracking it anymore, know that I know what are good vs bad sugars.
  • usmcwifemom
    Options
    Fruit has carbs, carbs require insulin, insulin makes you retain fat. Not to say that carbs are bad, but what works for me is getting the majority of my nutrients from lean proteins and vegetables. Every person's body reacts differently to carbohydrates though. Some people are more insulin resistant than others. I've had type 1 diabetes for 27 years (I'm 31 years old) and have a pretty good idea of how my body reacts to carbs, and I can measure the amount of insulin my body requires (b/c I take it using an insulin pump). During weeks that I'm able to lose a couple of pounds, my daily insulin totals are lower. On weeks that I gain a couple of pounds, my daily insulin totals are higher. *Also, I always take the amount of insulin required to keep my bloodsugars in the normal range, to insure good control. Hope that helps.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It seems to depend on how well your body handles different kinds of sugar. I eat lots of fruits and berries but have very low triglyceride levels and no problem with weight control with them. Some people can't handle that much fruit, just like some people can't handle much starch, protein, etc. For me this has become a process of getting to know my body, learning what works (and what doesn't) for me as an individual, by constantly reading about nutrition and experimenting on my own and with suggestions from my very nutrition-oriented doctor. Can't think of a better long term perspective when it comes to both weight control and health. We're each unique. Consider various ideas and find out what works for YOU.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    Whether you are insulin resistant, diabetic or not, too much sugar converts to fat if not burned. I suggest you eat your fruit in the morning, while your body has time to metabolize the sugar. Perhaps before 4 PM, and stay away from starchy, sugary foods at night.

While ultra-low carb diets generally are considered fad diets and are not a lifestyle-type change, being overall lower carb is not a bad way to live. I try to keep my carb count under 100 grams per day, and only cheat once a week or on heavy cardio days, when I know I will burn the carbs in my workout.

1178051.png