Too much protein?

Options
I am having a problem with too much protein in my daily count. I am fine in all other categories but often go negative on my protein. Is this going to be a problem if I continue to go over on my protein?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein on MFP is quite low 15% of total calories. A balanced diet can consist of protein up to 30%. So you can double the MFP protein number and be fine.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP has protein set to 15% of your daily intake, it's fine to go over on that category, I UPPED my limit to 30% of my intake to put me to 0.5 grams per pound of body weight, right where I want to be.
    Customize your own goals under my home.... goals.... change goals... custom and set the numbers you want, IE I used 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat.
  • ToniSch
    ToniSch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am having an issue with too much protein. I heard that protein fills you up but I still get hungry! Well, maybe it is boredom that enables me to eat all the time but seriously, is too much protein (say 20-40mg) a problem?
  • ktbaby33
    ktbaby33 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for the answers and the help!
  • atothejd
    atothejd Posts: 1
    Options
    Too much protein is never a problem. Protein helps you build muscle which in turn helps you burn fat. Your body needs more when you're exercising for muscle growth and repair than MFP "allows".
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eating double the protein in excess of MFP's target may be fine for you, but out of solidarity I can't help myself but highlight that it can be a problem to the common source of our protein: cows, pigs, sheep, fish. Well, before triggering a heated political debate about animal rights I just want to say that one has to hard press oneself to be short of protein. Perhaps you can have a look at meat consumption?

Body builder sites often elaborate on what these guys eat during the day. I feel sorry for the feathered among us. It's not uncommon for these guys to consume half a chicken a day, not counting dinner.

OF course, there's protein in veggie foods too.

I'm not a vegetarian but with healthy eating, I did start introducing meat free days.