OMG, blueberries have LOTS of carbs!!

Options
Ok I am trying to watch my carb intake, I just logged half a cup of blueberries and it has 21 grams of carbs. Geez this is crazy, if its low cal its high in carbs, if its low carbs its not healthy. OMG sometimes this can be overwhelming, but the journey countinues.:ohwell:

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ya but they taste real good :wink:
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    And they're complex carbs so they'll fuel you for a longer period of time.
  • wallaceamanda
    Options
    The only part of a blueberry that is actually blue is the skin.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Those are good carbs. Blueberries also have antioxidants and fiber, making them complex, delicious, and great for you. Don't stress those carbs. :smile:
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ha I know...and bananas are full of sugar!
    The way I look at it is that it's all about balance...at least you're eating blueberries, which are high in antioxidents and have a bunch of nutritional benefits, instead of some other processed, high-carb food.
    Balance.
    Om.
    :)
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Actually, 1/2 cup of Blueberries only has 10.5 grams of carbs. Plus, only 7.2 of which are from sugar, the rest from fiber and complex carbs. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Plus, blueberries are one of the healthiest fruits around!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are soooooooo good!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    You have to recognize that there are healthy carbs and not-so-healthy carbs. Carbs from fruit, veggies, and whole grains are perfectly fine and necessary. Processed carbs (white bread, processed sugar, etc) are what you want to limit. If your carbs are coming from good sources, as long as you are eating them in moderation and have a good balance between protein/fat/carbs, you'll be healthy. :wink:
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Since when are carbs bad? Haha, you can tell I´ve never done the Atkins Diet nor the South Beach Diet
  • JosephTucker
    Options
    I have done the low carb thing twice, lost weight over a few months, but my body just could not handle it, got off of it and gain more weight back. I have now completely change my life style on eating and low calorie is the key to lose weight at a healthy rate and you don't have to deprive yourself all the time! I have been doing this for over a year now
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are a superfood. Carbs be damned- they are perfect fuel for your body. I eat them almost every day and have lost 20 pounds in the past 2 months.
    Imagine a superfood -- not a drug -- powerful enough to help you lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, and, for an added bonus, put you in a better mood. Eat, enjoy. No guilt.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I know there are good carbs, I have PCOS and I was told to watch my carb intake, but you guys are right these are the good carbs, ok disregard this whole convo, I'm loosing it. :laugh:
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Actually, 1/2 cup of Blueberries only has 10.5 grams of carbs. Plus, only 7.2 of which are from sugar, the rest from fiber and complex carbs. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Plus, blueberries are one of the healthiest fruits around!

full of antioxidants!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    21 grams for a full cup. I would not consider that high at all. Pretty low compared to other fruit.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to balance especially when you have something underlying like PCOS. But also don't forget that fiber is a "carb" so when you want to look at your real carb intake for the day you have to subtract the fiber from it...and fruits and veggies will offer you plenty of fiber to subtract. I"m sure there's a website or book or something that knows more than me, but I would think that fruit and veggie carbs would be good in moderation, right?
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    They are good carbs, luckily. And less than 100 calories per Cup.

I have three blueberry bushes in my garden. They all bear fruit at different times. I have blueberries all summer and I can't walk by them without eating a fistful.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    EVERY fruit has carbs, which come from sugar too. :)
  • Bethaniey
    Bethaniey Posts: 10
    Options
    Remember, you only need to count your NET carbs. In order to find out how many carbs a food has, you will need to subtract the fiber from it in order to get the total NET carbs
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    But subtract the fiber for net carbs and it's not a problem.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread.

Nevermind.