My Clothes Don't Fit...AND I AM NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT!!!

Options
Ok, now that I've got your attention....I am not really unhappy about it. I have gone from a size 40-42 pant (depending on brand) to a size 36. Which is awesome. My xxl polo shirts for work fit better than ever, and I've even squeezed into a few xl shirts (and they weren't tight). I even fit into some of my xxl t-shirts that had shrunk in the wash. So I am happy.....BUT

I don;t have the $$$$ to replace my wardrobe...not to mention that if I hit my goal of 220, I will have to lose another 28 pounds...which means probably smaller sizes.

But the one that I am most upset, even pissed off about?????? I am a huge UFC fan. And 2 winters ago, I bought myself a UFC Sherpa Lined Zip Up Hooded Sweatshirt. It's waffle material and black on the outside with the UFC logo across the front, and the sherpa lining is red. I love this jacket!!!! It's heavy enough to wear in the cold (not freezing cold, but most cold days), yet light enough to be worn as a wind breaker on warm days (into the low 60's). After that, I'm a short sleeve shirt and shorts guy. Anyway, I am swimming in it...and it's starting to look like crap on me because it's so big. Someone even commented at work yesterday "looks like you need to buy a new jacket!!" I mean, this thing has gotten real baggy...the sleeves are too long, it hangs down to my thighs (because it doesn't have to get over my big belly anymore).

I am so pissed because realistically, I will not be able to wear it next winter. I will have to get another one (and they cost $60!!!). I guess I'll have to give myself a gift for losing the weight!!! But my first real gift to myself is a new swimsuit. Tapout has Tattered American Flag Board Shorts that I really like. They are expensive too, but I've wanted them for a long time. Gotta email them, because they are only available in a 38 waist....too big!!! lol

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant....feel free to post up your success stories involving clothes that no longer fit!!! I'm making a pile to donate to good will (all the stuff that's just too big and I never want to wear again!!)

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Think about getting some things altered instead of giving them away.
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    SELL IT ON CRAIGSLIST TO GET $ FOR NEW STUFF
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Mike -

You could try selling some things (like that jacket) online to help reduce the cost of replacement. Just a suggestion.
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    sell your clothes instead of giving them away. or have them altered.

then shop thirft stores (cheaper) until you are at your goal weight so you arent wasting a ton of money
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    As far as replacing items, I would shop at a thrift store or consignment shop while you're in this transition. You can get some nice stuff for not a lot of money. It's a bit harder for guys, I think, but it can be done. I know my dad got a really nice suit at a second-hand shop for like $5, and it was in perfect shape.

So try that. It's almost yard sale season too, so you can see if you can find stuff that way. And when you get to your goal, that would be the perfect time to splurge on that new, smaller jacket.
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    I will be doing a lot of alteration because of the same reason... money or the lack thereof.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Great ideas posted so far!

Also look into thrift stores. I just bought 5 pairs of dress slacks for $20... Not a bad price for "transition" clothes.

Also - There is a girl at work who has gained a little weight, so we've swapped clothes for a while...
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! I have gone from a size 22W to a 10 or 12 depending on the brand. I have given away probably about 20 bags of clothes along the way and I have a new stack growing everyday. I am in the same boat about not having the money to replace them. I started visiting second hand shops in the nicer parts of town and hitting the sales racks.
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One, find a good tailor! Don't give up your FAVORITE sweatshirt/clothes just b/c you are doing something for you & bettering yourself! Two, CONGRATS on the weight loss & keep up the good work.. Last but not least... When going to Goodwill to drop off your "fat" clothes, pick up some for yourself.. That's where I have been going until I reach my goal & then and ONLY then will I splurge on me a new wardrobe. But I'm loving the "finds" at Goodwill right now for the ever changing in between stages of weight loss! Hang in there and don't get frustrated over your fabulous accomplishments.. I got a new Georgia Bulldog shirt for Christmas that I know is going to be 2 sizes too big come Winter but I'm going to enjoy knowing that it's because I'm 20+ lbs lighter!! I hope you can find a good tailor to help you!

Good luck on your journey!
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    One, find a good tailor! Don't give up your FAVORITE sweatshirt/clothes just b/c you are doing something for you & bettering yourself! Two, CONGRATS on the weight loss & keep up the good work.. Last but not least... When going to Goodwill to drop off your "fat" clothes, pick up some for yourself.. That's where I have been going until I reach my goal & then and ONLY then will I splurge on me a new wardrobe. But I'm loving the "finds" at Goodwill right now for the ever changing in between stages of weight loss! Hang in there and don't get frustrated over your fabulous accomplishments.. I got a new Georgia Bulldog shirt for Christmas that I know is going to be 2 sizes too big come Winter but I'm going to enjoy knowing that it's because I'm 20+ lbs lighter!! I hope you can find a good tailor to help you!

Good luck on your journey!
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!

At least they are too big, too small would be much worse LOL

You are very motivating. I am down to a 16 from a 24 and it feels great!!!! I gave all my "fat" clothes away. I never want to have to wear them again. Still stuck with that last 38lbs I am having trouble getting rid of. That is why I am here. I have that great pair of "goal" jeans a size 14 just wating for me!!

Thanks for sharing!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Buy new-to-you during the weight loss, I've had to buy new pants twice since starting this journey, but since they only cost me $3 I'm not worried, I actually SHOULD buy new pants now but I bought a belt to let the 4 new-to-me pairs last until I hit the 10% mark in what I hope will be about a month.

I'm holding off on the big wardrobe splurge for sub 200, because then nothing I have will fit, not the work clothes that got stuffed away 5 years ago, nothing that I have currently.

Much of my stuff is like $3 t-shirts from Zellers or Walmart so I'm not wasting the time getting them altered.
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    Thrift stores....I never even thought about that. Thanks guys, that's a great idea!!! And selling my clothes....I guess I could do some. I just hate the whole process of selling stuff on the internet. Plus donating makes me feel good!! But thanks for the suggestions!!!
  • sweetgirl3283
    Options
    maybe try a second hand store??? they are usually cheaper...
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    find someone here to trade with....

on another site i was on people posted what sizes they had and the only stipulation was they passed them to the next person when they grew out of them. its a really good system. I just went through my closet with 2 of my friends got rid of stuff that was too small but told them i would want the stuff back when i was able to fit in them again...and i got a bunch of stuff from them that is now too big..so i have a huge pile of clothes that dont fit...
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Been saving money to the side. Mainly for new clothes and slightly for rewards (e.g. new camera, new tennis equipment, etc.)

Before anyone asks, what would I do with that money if I don't meet my goal. I really don't know or haven't counted on that; because failure is not an option. :wink:
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    Go old school and visit a tailor! A fraction of the cost!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    See Mike, this is why we need a for-sale section so we can sell our too big and too small clothing and beachbody coaches could battle it out and offer us discounts... yea I like to dream!

I just made that suggestion a few moments ago;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/205230-for-sale-section-i-e-turbo-fire-new-85-cdn

Side note, pick up some Old Navy cheap stuff to hold you over like $10 polo's and $15 pants. Prices are actually better in the US than Canada so lucky you...
  • rbcool
    rbcool Posts: 20
    Options
    If you have a brother or a cousin thats a larger size you might consider passing them down to him.
    Sometimes it's easier to give personal items to family or friends.
  • okinuk
    okinuk Posts: 5
    Options
    Donate your plasma.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!