Replies

• Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just set some ground beef to thaw for use, tonights is destined for home-made taco's but I love my goulash too, actually due to make some of that this week, pasta ground beef, tomato sauce, loads of paprika, celery, beans etc. Its very filling and only 300ish calories a serving.
    Had some over the weekend just ground beef and onion fried together and that was the meat portion of dinner, with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Join the club! I picked up 1.5 lbs of lean ground beef for chili and last night DH pleaded with me not to make it LOL! I knew he wasn't a fan but I love it so he usually goes along with eating it.
    Since I've already got most of the ingredients from preparing for chili, I think I'm going to make Mexican style goulash.
    Don't have the recipe handy but if memory serves I found that one on allrecipes.

Edited to add: Yup, it's on allrecipes - and if you like spicy food, check out the comments. I personally alter this by using diced tomatoes with chiles, smart-taste rotini and add a chopped pepper.
  • jmgeist
    jmgeist Posts: 6
    Options
    Some suggestions:

-taco salad with lots of veggies, and 1/2 a regular serving of tortilla chips crumbled on top, a little shredded cheese, and salsa... very filling, and not too many calories.

-We've also been substituting groung turkey in place of ground beef. It's hard to notice the difference once it's seasoned.

Hope this helps!
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have no taco seasoning. :( Otherwise we would be having taco bombs I wanted make. lol. Im needing alternatives to that. Pandorians goulash deal sounds good. Kids will hate it, but the alternative is hamburger helper and I dont want that kind of sodium before a weigh in. lol.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What about chili?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    make your own taco seasoning, no need to have the store bought package with its MSG and fillers, lemme have a quick look on here, a recipe was posted a month or so ago, need to see if its in my bookmarks or if I'll have to do an advanced google search.

Can't find the one I'm looking for but a few ideas in this thread for home-made seasoning for taco's
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/98908-sodium-content-in-taco-seasoning-packet

Found the thread
    the post by ChefJenn
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/183084-marinades
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    mini meatloafs? (baked in muffin pans)

I have a recipe called "tagliarini" that my mom used to male. I don't have it with me, but you basically brown hamburger meat with onions, add tomatoes (crushed), frozen corn, sliced black olives, and cheese...To make it healthier and bulkier, you can add bell pepper, green beans, peas, etc....whatever you like.

stuffed bell peppers

meatball subs in wheat bread loaded with veggies...kinda like Subway, only healthier because you can control the ingredients.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just a few things I like to make. Also try Google Recipes; just put in an ingreident and you can pick other ingredients you want to go into it.
    -chili
    -beef stroganoff
    -spaghetti w/ meat sauce
    -beef & veggie soup
    -lasagna- or any Italian casserole like baked ziti or cavatini
    -quesadilla- any Mexican dish like
    -goulash
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just set some ground beef to thaw for use, tonights is destined for home-made taco's but I love my goulash too, actually due to make some of that this week, pasta ground beef, tomato sauce, loads of paprika, celery, beans etc. Its very filling and only 300ish calories a serving.
    Had some over the weekend just ground beef and onion fried together and that was the meat portion of dinner, with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies.

THANK you for the goulash idea. OMG it was the best i ever had. I added some things and whatnot but it was THE best sauce I have ever had. Ill never use regular spaghetti sauce again!
  • juliejem
    juliejem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just made this last week and it was so easy and SO delicious. It's a homemade/natural version of Hamburger Helper beef stroganoff. My 3 year old loved it (my 6 year old didn't but he doesn't like any meat).

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/984