Does it really matter as long as.....

Options
:glasses: Daily allowance = 1370 so wkly allowance = 9,590 (1370 x 7)

I decided to look at the bigger picture looking at the week as a whole so my question is this:

Does it really matter if I'm over or under some days as long as by the end of the week I have not exceeded my wkly calorie allowance?

Your thoughts and opinions are much welcomed :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ashleyb1031
    ashleyb1031 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    :glasses: Daily allowance = 1370 so wkly allowance = 9,590 (1370 x 7)

I decided to look at the bigger picture looking at the week as a whole so my question is this:

Does it really matter if I'm over or under some days as long as by the end of the week I have not exceeded my wkly calorie allowance?

Your thoughts and opinions are much welcomed :flowerforyou:

Def a good question, you wouldnt think it matters...
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't think so.
    I sometimes binge so I cut down calories(10-50) on other days.
    Seems to be working for me.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Over some days under others is just cycling your calories so you should be fine overall, and you're not trapped by the "must hit same calories daily so must eat same thing day after day after day" and get tired of it.
  • retired610
    Options
    probably depends on just how much you are over and how often. For me, it is a slippery slope from going too far over and then
    cutting back to just going over every day.
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    Being under some days and over others keeps you from a plateau! Its called zig-zagging, and theres a ton about it online. I've been doing it, and I felt guilty at first, but on Monday's when I weigh, I've never gained anything back! I splurge on Saturdays if going out with friends, but I definitely try not to go more than 250 over a day.
    Personally, letting myself have things I enjoy once in a while has kept me sane, and this is the longest I've ever stuck with a diet and exercise plan!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    No, it won't matter as long as you are not going to extremes like two days of 700 calories, two days of 2000 calories, and the rest 1400. That might mess up your body. But if you are under a couple hundred some days and a couple hundred over on others it will be fine. Some people do this when they hit a plateau and it's supossed to help your body overcome that phase.
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    you could give it a try for a few weeks and see if it matters to your body. Everyone is different, so my advice go for it. You can always change back if it doesn't work!!
  • mistyjackson
    Options
    I have read in many places that zig-zag calorie counting is better for you! It keeps your body from thinking it is starving. My suggestion to you is to go online and google how many calories you should intake and at the bottom of it there should be a spot to click zig-zag. I did it for a while and really liked it because you werent always consuming a set amount. I have lost 22lbs since Dec 26th and I just recently stopped doing the zig-zag thing this week. Only becuase I have 10 more lbs I would like to lose so I am trying to be super strict on myself for these next four weeks! Either way you chose GOOD LUCK!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful advice and honest opinions. Seeing as I have a cheat meal once a week when I will definitely be over I think being under a little on some days will balance this out.

@ iitsolivia - thanks for sharing your experience. It's made me confident that I can live a 'normal' life and not obsess about every single calorie! Thanks
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It definately works...I've lost 80 lbs doing it this way! Good luck!
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    You should structure every other day being higher/lower than the next/last..........fools your body and keeps your metabolism up.
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    Weight watchers works with this kind of system. Not zig-zag exactly, but you get a certain number of points a day and then an extra X amount of points to use throughout the week or on one meal. As long as you're staying in the points for the week you're ok.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I often have days where it is higher. On tough workout days I eat probably a good 200 calories more than non-workout days...and so forth. I also practice Intermittant Fasting (IF) once a week so I eat all of my daily calories in one meal on those days. It has not affected me negatively.
  • CatRodger
    CatRodger Posts: 105
    Options
    Want to follow this thread to see how it works out for you sunshine x
  • sunshine79
    Options
    I often have days where it is higher. On tough workout days I eat probably a good 200 calories more than non-workout days...and so forth. I also practice Intermittant Fasting (IF) once a week so I eat all of my daily calories in one meal on those days. It has not affected me negatively.

I did IF at the start of this year and it was such a relief not having to think about food every minute of the day. I will definitely go back to it once I achieve my fat/inch loss goal but until then my personal trainer has asked me to go back to eating every3hrs - uuurgh - it's a means to an end though

Thanks - you always give such useful advice:smile:
  • sunshine79
    Options
    Weight watchers works with this kind of system. Not zig-zag exactly, but you get a certain number of points a day and then an extra X amount of points to use throughout the week or on one meal. As long as you're staying in the points for the week you're ok.

I didn't think of it that way. I did WW a few years ago and you're right - thanks for the insight :glasses:
  • sunshine79
    Options
    Want to follow this thread to see how it works out for you sunshine x

I'm not sure if it'll become a popular enough 'thread' to follow as such Cat but you're in my news feed so I'll keep you posted :wink:
  • CatRodger
    CatRodger Posts: 105
    Options
    LOL ok sure,

Do you have facebook by the way ?
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    I almost don't want to tell myself that zig-zagging works, because if I have food in front of me I have very little will power and will eat more just thinking ''I can eat a little more today as long as I eat a little less tomorrow,'' then ''tomorrow'' will come around and I just might get hungry in between meals and hate myself for needing to be under.

If you have discipline though, I'd say it should work, I have my bad days every once in a while and I haven't had any significant weight gains (as long as I don't have a streak of bad days).