Balls. My treadmill broke.

Options
I'm just getting started on this journey and was really enjoying my treadmill... Now it's broken. No there is no warranty, it's old. I now need to get something else. I like the treadmill because I have a 17mo old daughter and I workout while she naps. I can't very well go for a run and leave her home.

What do I want to spend? Nothing (;^}) but I don't want a piece of **** either so I am willing to spend some cash.
What brands/models are nice?
Should I go with another treadmill or an elliptical or stationary bike?
I liked the fact that I could put on the programs and it would change the speed/incline for me. Do ellipticals and stationary bikes have this?

I'm so bummed. :^(

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha, your post title is funny. :):)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    you can get one cheap and sometimes free on craigslist.org! do it :D
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try running outside.

That's right in your budget.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check out sites like kijiji or craig's list and similar. I was looking for a piano for some reason last night and there's a dozen for the taking if I show up with a truck and the crew to move it. Often have seen treadmills and the like on there too.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have a elliptical that I got at walmart made by Golds Gym and it has 6 different programs. As much as I say I HATE the elliptical I secretly love it. So far I have only done program 1 but in that 30 minute program I burn 373 calories. I paid $277 for my elliptical and I think it was well worth it. Give craigslist.com a try.....someone is always selling something cheap or giving something away. I have a treadmill I never use but I'm sure we don't live close by.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Try running outside.

^ this!

Walking, running, body resistance workouts, push ups, reverse crunches, Workout DVDS (most are available for $8-$9 locally), Resistance bands, the list is endless compared to the price of a new piece of equipment. Particularly if you can't afford one right now you can get started with some of the above or check out Google and YouTube and find some awesome home workouts for FREE!

Good luck, it CAN be done and many on here do it every day!:flowerforyou:
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Try running outside.

^ this!

Walking, running, body resistance workouts, push ups, reverse crunches, Workout DVDS (most are available for $8-$9 locally), Resistance bands, the list is endless compared to the price of a new piece of equipment. Particularly if you can't afford one right now you can get started with some of the above or check out Google and YouTube and find some awesome home workouts for FREE!

Good luck, it CAN be done and many on here do it every day!:flowerforyou:

Thanks. I have lots of those and do do them but I also like the treadmill. Hence my question.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No help with the treadmill, but i thought I was the only one who said "balls" when upset about something.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options
    No help with the treadmill, but i thought I was the only one who said "balls" when upset about something.
    Haha, you are not alone.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My bro-in-law did loads of research before they bought their treadmill. They've had no issues, so when I decided to buy one this past August, I followed suit.

For quality vs. money, the best value was the Sole F63. It has a gym-quality motor, longer deck, runs super quiet, mine even has built in mp3 speakers.

Best price has been D*cks Sporting Goods. It is on sale for 1,000 right now, and I think that includes 'place in room' delivery. I assembled mine all by myself, and it wasn't a challenge.

The ProForms and others are cheaper, but there is a reason for that! They fall apart in a year or two....
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am just chiming in to say I understand completely how handy it is to have a treadmill so you can do early morning workouts with a sleeping young child in the house. My kids were not consistently fond of the jogging stroller which is what most folks suggest as a "just do it" option. I hope you find an affordable replacement soon!
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options
    Healthywarrior - Does it squeak?

Kristen- Thanks. This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Kensky- I know right! Haha
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    This is a good starting point.
    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Buyers-guide

The only thing I would add is to buy the best quality machine you can in your price range, and skip out on bells & whistles like ipod hookups, tv screens, fans.

Once you know your price range, explore that treadmilldoctor site. They are one of the best in terms of unbiased reviews. Many treadmill review sites are really marketing affiliates disguised as review sites.
  • Hopey1994
    Hopey1994 Posts: 307
    Options
    Sorry to hear your treadmill broke, but the craigslist.com is definitely a good way to get a new one on a limited budget. Hope you find another one soon! :)
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You could get a couple of workout DVDs to do until you can save up for a new one! Switching it up is always good! Or a gym membership.

If you're really set on buying a treadmill, I would agree with the above poster that suggested Craigslist.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Can your treadmill be repaired for cheaper than buying a new one?? I had a place come out & pick mine up & returned it back down to my basement when they were done... it was a regular PC repair kinda place.....

otherwise, check freecycle for a freebie in your area...

I have had a proform for years...............................not one issue, except last week I broke the pin that keeps it in place when I fold it up ( spacemaker)
  • Zaggytiddies
    Options
    Update: I thought about not posting this here but then figured maybe someone else would have the same problem and this could help them.

Anyway. When the treadmill stopped working correctly I just flipped, got all huffy, 'the worlds gonna end and I'll still be fat' kinda dramatic. After I had a bit to cool down I began searching the internets for possible ways to fix it. The belt seems like it's slipping so one site suggested to tighten it. I tried that but it's still a very jarring to walk on and definitely not safe. Another solution was to replace the motor belt. Looks like that part is $19.99 and it just so happens, my 16 year old brother inlaw is going to tech school for small motors. We're gonna let him see if he can change the belt and see if that works :crosses fingers:

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your suggestions!