Work out those: Arms! Legs! Abs!

Options
Hi!
So, I’ve been working out a lot lately. But I have been mostly stuck on things I already know how to do
(Running/jogging on the treadmill, the elliptical machine, some ab crunches, easy stuff.)

Do you have any awesome work outs that I could get better results fast? Things that will help out in those areas: Arms, Legs, and Abs?
Much appreciated!

Replies

• jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    in all honesty...push ups are amazing. if you can get a bunch of sets in throughout the day you will see a difference in those arms for sure!!!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know this too! i go to the gym and do the weights for arms, legs and abs, but would love to know if anyone has any workouts for at home
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    To really burn fat, you need to build some muscle. Try out the weight machines for your legs. Hamstring curl, leg press, leg extension, etc. Also use dumbbells and resistance bands to work your arms. You can find great routines for any muscle group at self.com & shape.com. That's where I started!
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    in all honesty...push ups are amazing. if you can get a bunch of sets in throughout the day you will see a difference in those arms for sure!!!

On this same note, I would really recommend suicide jumps instead - they're like a pushup with a little something extra for your core and legs.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Search for the spartan workout and I love the ab workout shown in this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl_Hp1Wf52k
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Legs: Lunges, squats, deadlifts
    Arms: Bicep curls, hammer curls, shoulder press, tricep extensions, shoulder flys, bench (or chair) dips
    Abs: Planks, push-ups, leg raises, pilates

Dumbbells are essential.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186979-i-need-help

There are some cards in this thread

http://exercise.about.com/
    Search here for your level and make your own up
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    dont look far, if you're not getting results, then you're not training your muscle to failure rate. You must reach failure and keep proper form. You can go to the gym for years, and if you don't maximize and keep good form, you will never see any change that its wortht the time.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, love the results I am getting with that. Started JIllian Michaels 6 week 6 pack last week, like that too.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of the suggestiosn above. But yoga is also good for an over all toneing. a sun salutation series of poses includes planks, push ups and lunges.Won't build a ton of muscle but It's great for you body and mind as a whole. Good Luck!
  • DearMeg
    DearMeg Posts: 4
    Options
    oh goodness, look at all those fast replies! *thank you!*

i guess what i really want in my legs and arms is for them to be nicely shaped but small, not really muscular.
    And man! Do I want amazing abs! hahaha
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    You are better to use exercises that use more than one muscle group. Pushups are great since they work your core, legs, chest and arms. Squats are another good exercise. Lunges are another. Standing Military press. Planks. Side Planks. Squat Presses.

While isolation exercises have their place, if you want to burn fat the exercises that use multiple muscle groups will do much more.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Some confusing info in this thread.

While some of these work outs may use certain muscles as stabilizers, I wouldn't advise many of these.

For example, dips will not do anything for your biceps. Depending on your angle, dips will either mainly target your chest or your triceps.

Pushups are also primarily chest and tricep. Very little core work.

Pullups on the other hand are phenominal for your biceps, especially narrow grip. The wider the grip the more your outer lats are being worked.

Pushups, Pullups and Situps/Crunches are the best trio for what you want without weight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Push-ups while working primarily the chest, triceps, and anterior deltoids, also due to maintaining the plank position throughout work your core to a lesser extent. It is not a primary core exercise, but it does work the core, and thus is a good compound exercise. It also is easy to increase and decrease the difficulty by changing the lever position either by raising your hands higher than your feel to make it easier or raising your feet higher than your hands thus making it more difficult. This is like weighted Squats working the core as well. While it is not a primary core exercise, it does most certainly work the core.

Dip are chest and triceps.

Pullups are a wonderful pulling exercise with many variations to change its focus.