A special NSV

Options
Galathea
Galathea Posts: 420 Member
I'm sorry, but this will be a pretty long post. I hope you don't mind. :wink:

A little background info: Well, I have always been the big girl ("fat" is the better word, but well). It never really touched me, because I was blessed to have a loving family and awesome friends. Different to many others here I never had to face the cruelty of stupid people. I grew up being big, one of the kids that weren't allowed to leave the table, if their plate wasn't empty. Food was always there for me. I turned to food when I was sad or happy or bored. Heck, I didn't even need a reason to turn to food. And to be honest, I never had a problem with this attitude. This way I made my way up to 250 lbs.
And then I got sick. That was 5 years ago. My thyroid started growing beyonf control. A mutation that messed with my whole system. I lost 100 lbs in 3 months. I lost my hair. My skin turned green. I looked like a zombie. It almost killed me. Back then I lost my selfimage. I lost every feeling for this body I was caught in. And, believe me, it felt like being caught. I went into a coma and my thyroid had to be removed in an emergency surgery. After that I still had to spend 6 months in hospital.
Back then I was told I would have to take meds for the rest of my life. Meds that would cause depressions, a major weight gain ... and that would probably make it impossible for me to have children.
To be honest, Ilearned to deal with it. What can you do, if you get told it's unchangeable? :frown:
Everything happened like the docs had told me. I got depressions, I gained weight and I didn't get visited by TOM anymore.
And then I came to MFP. A friend recommended the site to me. And while she didn't stick with it ... I did.
That was in June 2010. I was 240 lbs back then.

Fast-forward to today...
I got the results of my bloodtests today. Well, I have to do them once a month, so I'm pretty used to it. But my doc was so excited, that she called me and asked me to come over as soon as possible. To be honest, her excitment scared me a bit.
And there I was, sitting in an uncomfortable chair, listening to what she told me. And I couldn't believe it.
I'M HEALTHY.
She told me it's been a long time since she has seen such perfect results. Blood sugar, cholesterol, calcium, iron, folic acid, even my thyroid hormones ... everything is absolutely perfect. My vitamins are a tiny-whiny bit low, but she suggested I should take a multivitamin pill in the morning and it would also be perfect.
I still can't believe it, even though I'm writing it now.
Of course I noticed the changes before. You don't lose 80 lbs and don't see the differences. My bloodtests got better each month. My doc changed my meds a while back. But she still sad it would be difficult to have kids (although TOM came back LOL).
But today she told me I could get pregnant, if I wanted, without any risks for the baby or me. Well, actually she said: "If I were you, I would go on birth control, because with such hormon levels there is a pretty high chance you'll get pregnant with looking at the picture of a naked man." :smokin: You can't imagine what that means to me! I was so sure I would never have kids. And I was okay with it. And now everything has changed. Of course, I'm not 20 anymore. But I'm still young enough to have a child or two ... heck, a whole football team, if I wanted. :laugh:

And, do you wanna know what the best part is about this? It was ME, who did this. It was ME who decided to change, to fight, to not give up. It was me who chose to get healthy. And I did it. I DID IT! Of course, I'm not at the end of my journey. There is still a long way in front of me. But it was my decision to go this path. And nobody can ever take this away from me. Nobody!
When I came here, it was only about losing weight, getting thin. But this has changed. The weight loss is only a bonus to me now. My body went through so many changes. I learned so much here. I realized it's not about the weight ... it's about becomming healthy and fit. And although I still have to fight a war on some fat, I know I will make it, no matter how long it will take. There were days when I wanted to give up. There were days, when I fell off the band wagon. But I'm still here. And I'm getting better and better at this.
Today I finally realized how much I have changed. Today will always be special to me, because today I got one of the biggest rewards I could ever have hoped for, just for sticking with this. I can have children. Well, now I have to find the right man for it. But, heck, after all I went through that will probably be the easy part. :bigsmile:

One last thing...(it won't take long, I know I occupied your time a lot)
I wanna thank some people. Of course Mick and Al for making this site. I know I couldn't have done it without it. And I really mean this.
And I also wanna thank my friends here. Some of you I hold very close to my heart. Without all you guys I wouldn't be, who I am now. You made me accountable just with being here. You listened, when I was down, and lifted me up. You kicked me in the *kitten*, when I was ready to give up. Every change for the better I owe to you. And therefore I will be forever grateful. You'll never know what you mean to me. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• keeponcrushinit
    Options
    So proud of you kitten..now lets make babies!!
  • MusicalMe
    MusicalMe Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Congratulations to you on your amazing successes...not just with weight loss, but with health overall. You've done amazing, keep up the great work!
  • DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Your post made me teary eyed! That is terrific! I don't know you, but I can't help feeling so proud of you! Keep up the awesome work!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Great job kitten
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    That is a great story. You made yourself healthy again. Best of luck to you in starting your family.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Your story is so inspirational, thank you for sharing with us. I have just started on my journey a month ago I know that I will get to my dream but people like you on this site makes it so I know its true
    Thanx again
  • hamster123
    Options
    That's great news! Congratulations, it's a true testament to your hard work and determination. You are really amazing and truly inspirational. What's left to say? Well done!
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    WOW! Not a lot can be said after reading that but I have tears in my eyes and this is probably the coolest NSV I've read thus far. Kudos to you!
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Wow! Good Job! Best news I have heard in a very long time. So, very happy for you.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    A wonderful post.
    Thanky you.
    I'm so pleased for you.
    I smiled through the second half of the post and am genuinly happy for you.
    Take care .
    Amanda
  • sweetlilgiggles
    sweetlilgiggles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    RIght on, girl! This made me cry! I'm so happy for you and I'm glad that things ended up turning around 180 degrees. You have come a long way, and your story is amazing. Never apologize for speaking from the heart. I'm sure you've touched more people than you will ever know. Keep your enthusiasm and love for life, because it's contagious!!!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This was very touching.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    This is the most amazing NSV I have read. You are an inspiration of what can be achieved if we take care of ourselves. I don't know you, but I so happy to read about such success. :flowerforyou:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Aww wow, so inspiring. Thanks for sharing your story!
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Amazing story now be-careful what man you look at sideways haha you might just pop out a baby.
    You should be so darned proud of yourself so awesome!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Although I came along later in the journey, I'm glad that I can witness this. I am beyond happy for you! This is a miracle and a major blessing. This helps me to want to push on through those tough days when I don't feel like working out. So I can have a testimony that will help someone else endure and come out better on the other side.

PS if you find that great guy & he has a brother, cousin, or young uncle send him my way lol! :wink:
  • TulsaTim
    TulsaTim Posts: 87
    Options
    I am so happy for you. You are amazing and I am so glad you shared this story with us all.

Congratulations!!!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Absolutely FABULOUS! *double bump* and HUGS!!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Wow. Just, wow. Congratulations on an amazing acheivment!
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    so amazing... and so happy for you... you took charge of your life and it more then paid off.. now go celebrate and make some babies.. JK...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!