Spanakopita recipe

Options
mrslondon
mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
Does anyone know how to make these? They are fantastic but they usually only come as hor d'oeuvres and they are really expensive. I know that they are a basic make up of spinach and some sort of cheese and a certain kind of pastry. I want to be able to make them low fat, any idea?

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Don't think it's too bad but it does use quite a lot of olive oil. I love spanokopita and I think you can probably google the recipes...I use frozen chopped spinach, chopped spring onion and feta cheese. Wrap in filo pastry and brush them with egg yolk and bake! Don't think that is the traditional recipe though...if you find a good one, share!
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    good luck on low fat they are made with layers of fillo dough and you butter each sheet. the cheese is Feta. they are delicious
  • Icount2
    Icount2 Posts: 3
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=601608

Check this out. Hope it will meet your needs.:happy:
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can easily adjust an authentic recipe to be lighter:
    Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
    From All-Recipes

Prep Time: 30 Minutes
    Cook Time: 1 Hour
    Ready In: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
    Servings: 5
    "This is an authentic, really rich pie stuffed with spinach, onions, cheeses and herbs that are all enfolded by crispy, flaky phyllo dough."
    INGREDIENTS:
    3 tablespoons olive oil (replace with butter spray used lightly)
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 pounds spinach, rinsed and chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 eggs, lightly beaten (replace with egg whites only)
    1/2 cup ricotta cheese (use low fat)
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese (use reduced fat/ reduce to 3/4 cup)
    8 sheets phyllo dough
    1/4 cup olive oil (replace with 1/8 c light butter or margarine melted)
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a 9x9 inch square baking pan.
    2. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, green onions and garlic, until soft and lightly browned. Stir in spinach and parsley, and continue to saute until spinach is limp, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
    3. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta. Stir in spinach mixture. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in prepared baking pan, and brush lightly with olive oil. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with olive oil, and repeat process with two more sheets of phyllo. The sheets will overlap the pan. Spread spinach and cheese mixture into pan and fold overhanging dough over filling. Brush with oil, then layer remaining 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each with oil. Tuck overhanging dough into pan to seal filling.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve while hot.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, ill try them all slowly as I know even the low fat ones cant possibly be that low fat haha. Thanks again