I've gained weight...I need help/motivation

Options
I joined this site in January, and I weigh 2 pounds more than when I started. I'm feeling really discouraged and frustrated. Anybody have suggestions for how I can motivate myself to go to the gym? Anybody have suggestions for how I can stop overeating? And feel free to friend me since I need all the help and support I can get.:smile:

Replies

• cast59
    cast59 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well every day you need to try to do some physical activity. Eventually you will get to the point where you won't want to miss a day.
    Other then that try to stay under your calories. Good Luck. You can add me as a friend!!!
  • MSgtD911
    MSgtD911 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Think about how discouraged you feel right now and use that as your motivation. You've taken the first step by admitting to yourself that you need to get in better shape. It's time to take the next step and and do something about it. I wish you the best of luck.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    are you doing strength training? Could it be muscle? Are you drinking plenty of water, could it be water retention?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hang in there..stay positive and get back on track!
    I lost, then have gained back over the past 6 weeks
    took a 'before' pic yesterday and will NOT fail..am back on track....eating right and working out

You can do it!!!!
    Kim
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Best advice I have heard is do not beat yourself up over it but acknowledge it. Move on and move forward. I eat better when I am working out. So, if you aren't working out-that's a great start. Keep logging your foods, check out success stories, and most of all- keep trying. You CAN do this.
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    You know it takes 21 days to create a habit, I say do something you enjoy, start slow like with walking, biking, jogging, skating, anything that gets you moving
    I found the gym to be so de-motivational for me.
    As for over eating,fill your house with good foods, and refuse to go to the store for anything remotely bad. Gas is too high anyway right?
  • hirschb1
    hirschb1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I did work out today, and my appetite does seem to decrease after I've worked out. I won't give up!
  • raznaya1234
    raznaya1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...that has happened to me before. I had to really push myself to change my "bad habits". It's also very easy to come up with a million excuses on why I couldn't exercise.

I'm a mother of three boys and they can really wear me out. I started working out at night, when they would go to bed. I really like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. A friend suggested it and I fell in love with it! After putting so much hard work into my workouts, that's when I would tell myself not to overeat. Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls are my weakness :)

Anyways, I stuck to the dvd for about 4 months and lost 18 lbs. That's with me doing the dvd every night without failing and at least treating myself to a treat every now and then...a naughty treat...Lol. You know...Little Debbie :)

Now, I have four of Jillian Michael's dvd's and I absolutely LOVE them!!! Each dvd is about $10 at Walmart. Hope this helps!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It does take time to make a habit. Try baby steps:

- start logging food as much as you can (it took me at least a couple of weeks to get used to)
    - aiming for 2-3 workout / activities a week. Don't make a big commitment right away, otherwise you'll feel discouraged if you don't meet your goal.

Once you get into the routine, you won't even noticed you are doing it. :-)
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I have been working out for awhile now and even got a personal trainer. I have only lost a few lbs total and it is discouraging. Something to just keep telling yourself (if you're working out, using weights, etc.) is that muscle weighs more than fat! Keep track of your inches not just your weight. While I haven't lost a lot of weight I have lost a lot of inches! :)
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Measuring weight loss is the easiest, and most convenient, measurement we can take. Most of us can find a scale. However, it's not the only measurement. Don't forget your dressmaker's tape measurer. It's cheap and easy to find in any fabric store. If you are working out, this will be the best way to measure your fitness gain. Are your clothes starting to fit better? Looser? That's another tell-tale sign that your efforts are worth every amount of energy you're putting into yourself!

Keep up with your food, mood, and exercise journal too. It's a great visual tool for me to see just how the calories I consume & burn affect my daily life and moods.

I also agree with the comment earlier regarding acknowledging your own mistakes. Learn and move on. Try not to dwell on it, but focus on your goals and don't forget to set progressive-goals for yourself! Each sucess adds up!