Upping your calories

Options

Replies

• jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have 15 pounds to go and upped mine to 1 pound per week. Tomorrow i am starting a serious weight training regimen and am thinking of going to .5 pounds per week. Now i need to just figure out how many additional calories I will need after my weight training. Using my HRM during cardio is easy but not so sure on the lifting weights part yet.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling soooo hard this past week so I decided to up my calories to losing 1lb a week instead of 2lbs and I feel much more happier with it. I have a little more room to experiment with. Also finding it easier to stick too.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....maybe I need to increase as well, will read over when I can see straight - it's sooo late!
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....maybe I need to increase as well, will read over when I can see straight - it's sooo late!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've ben toying with this idea for a few weeks since I'm only 6 lbs for goals. I .always eat all my calories plus some. I think we need to remember to not use this as an excuse to eat junk (still struggle with eating clean myself). Great post and great responses.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with this.... the 1400 isn't too bad, it's the days when I exercise and end on 1700-1800 that feels crazy to me! I do feel like it's justified as I feel weak and lethargic if I don't, so it's not like I feel full or i'm bingeing, but it's just the mentality of telling myself it's ok to eat 1800 cals and I won't get fat.

The thing i'm struggling with most is eating healthy food with the extra calories, I plan my healthy meals and snacks and then when I have to add an extra 400 for exercise it's hard to find things that aren't chocolate and cake! Yesterday I ended up eating a piece of cheese and peanut butter on toast! lol
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I posted this very same thing yesterday. I have only 9lbs to lose and have lost nothing in about 6 weeks!!!!!!

After the advice of lots of wonderful people on here I have upped my calories - as of today and I am believing that it will work. It feels so strange but considering the fact that what I was doing before wasn't working I had to try something different. I can't wait to see the results.

Keep us posted on your progress with this :wink:
  • Lynn1315
    Lynn1315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WOW.. I guess I have been doing everything wrong. I have been maintaining 1200 calories, even though I run abough 4-5 times a week and am training for my 2nd half-marathon. This must be why I'm so tired and stuck at the same weight. I'm new to MFP, and have about 15 pounds to lose. I previously lost 20 pounds on the Jillian Michaels plan, where she recommended 1200-1400 calories for me. So when MFP said 1200 calories, I went with it. I'm going to adjust my goals and see what happens. It certainly would be nice to eat more than 1200 cals a day.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will try 0.5lb a week too. My BMI is now 22.5 – 23 now and I have not lost any weight in the last 4 weeks.

But another question what do you base your final goal on?
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My BMI is 20.6. Im shooting for 55kg but I dont really know why. The more I look at myself in the mirror, the more I think its kind of stupid idea. I think a healthy 57kg (5lb less than now) will be really nice. I have not been loosing for 2 weeks now, so I decided to also slow it down to 0,5lb/week and see what happens!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at the same weight for a little over 2 weeks as well. I changed my goal from 2 lb. a week to 1 lb. a week. I think I'll shift again to .5 and see what happens. I exercise 5-6 days a week doing cardio and alternating lifting different groups 4 days. I am also starting a new exercise class in 2 weeks that should be challenging and meets 3 days a week so having the extra calories might really be beneficial.

Great post, thanks!

Holly
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You guys with BMI in the 20 to 23 range. Be very careful. IMHO, most people in that range should be looking to stay the same weight, maybe by losing some fat then gaining back some muscle, but at that level, the fat loss will be extremely slow (in the range of 1/4 lb per week if you're pretty strict about your nutrients), and the quality of the food you eat should be your main focus.

Just MHO.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You guys with BMI in the 20 to 23 range. Be very careful. IMHO, most people in that range should be looking to stay the same weight, maybe by losing some fat then gaining back some muscle, but at that level, the fat loss will be extremely slow (in the range of 1/4 lb per week if you're pretty strict about your nutrients), and the quality of the food you eat should be your main focus.

Just MHO.

How do you go about doing this? Is it just maintaining weight and exercising? I'd be quite happy to stay at my current weight but still have huge thighs that have masses of fat on them and I don't see how it will go without losing weight? I'm trying really hard to get fit and toned and feel like my wobbly thighs are holding me back! Of course the first thing I jump to is losing MORE weight when I probably don't need to.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

How do you go about doing this? Is it just maintaining weight and exercising? I'd be quite happy to stay at my current weight but still have huge thighs that have masses of fat on them and I don't see how it will go without losing weight? I'm trying really hard to get fit and toned and feel like my wobbly thighs are holding me back! Of course the first thing I jump to is losing MORE weight when I probably don't need to.

I'll tell ya, but you're probably not going to like it, nobody does. Patience. The way to lose fat with little weight loss is to train your body by doing relatively intense exerises (multiply types, resistance, HIIT, cardio...etc.), eating healthy, and eating consistently. This takes time. Basically, when your body is receiving all the nutrients it requires in the right amounts, it will store fat the way it's designed to.

You can help it along with a very modest calorie deficit, and mixing up your workout routines, but in reality, it takes a long time to remove the last few pockets of fat.

Now, there's nothing wrong with dropping some more weight to get rid of that fat a little faster, as long as it's done with the understanding that you probably should be adding a few lbs of muscle afterward, which also takes time, and requires eating at a small calorie surplus; and should be done in a healthy manner (I.E. with a small deficit and good quality nutrients). This is obviously my take on things, others may have different takes, but really, the last few lbs of fat that you want to get rid of are the worst, they're usually very stubborn.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Just MHO.

Thank you, I understand this. I started recently (about a month ago) doing cardio and weight training. I want my body to look firmer and I my first goal is to look better, not to be lighter. I am eating really healthy and I feel good about myself and my small successes in the gym:)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    this thread makes a lot of sense. i am thinking of going for 0.5lbs a week now as i only have another 3lbs to go, and tbh im not bothered about how long it takes as im pretty happy with what i see in the mirror. Id like to build some muscle but i dont want to look too beefed up if that makes sense.

I like the shred dvd for this reason as ive been a lot leaner since ive been doing it and use 3lbs.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump cause I like this one :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    this thread makes a lot of sense. i am thinking of going for 0.5lbs a week now as i only have another 3lbs to go, and tbh im not bothered about how long it takes as im pretty happy with what i see in the mirror. Id like to build some muscle but i dont want to look too beefed up if that makes sense.

I like the shred dvd for this reason as ive been a lot leaner since ive been doing it and use 3lbs.

you wont' "look to beefed up", it takes a very concerted effort for a woman to put on lots of muscle mass. I mean a REALLY concerted effort. You ladies can do a lot of things that we can't do, but one thing you really can't do is match our testosterone output, sorry but you need testies for that one. And testosterone is what builds large mass. 2 ways to do it for women, eat SUPER clean, get on a really kick *kitten* (and time consuming) weight training program, eat at a calorie surplus with relatively high protein levels (say 30 to 35%) and wait a LOOONG time (usually a few years for body builder type results). If you aren't doing this, then you don't need to worry about putting on to much bulk. The other way is to take steroids, and if you're doing that, you know it (no matter what Barry Bonds says!).
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump, great thread!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options

you wont' "look to beefed up", it takes a very concerted effort for a woman to put on lots of muscle mass. I mean a REALLY concerted effort. You ladies can do a lot of things that we can't do, but one thing you really can't do is match our testosterone output, sorry but you need testies for that one. And testosterone is what builds large mass. 2 ways to do it for women, eat SUPER clean, get on a really kick *kitten* (and time consuming) weight training program, eat at a calorie surplus with relatively high protein levels (say 30 to 35%) and wait a LOOONG time (usually a few years for body builder type results). If you aren't doing this, then you don't need to worry about putting on to much bulk. The other way is to take steroids, and if you're doing that, you know it (no matter what Barry Bonds says!).

ok no steroids here and def no testosterone so im safe! lol!

anyhoo, i upped my cals and boy do i feel more energetic! so def right move for me!