is there such a thing as too much flax seed/oil

Options
I just started this 2 week fat flush protein shake. I am a little concerned with the amount of flax seed and flax seed oil consumption. They require you to take 2 tablespoons of each twice a day. So I guess I am just starting to think that it may be too much. Does anyone have and stories or info to share on the comsumption of too much flax. Thanks in advance

Serendipity

Replies

• barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you're taking is as apart of a cleanse then you should be fine. Flax seed/oil is a natural...shall we say....digestive aid. Taking a lot with a cleanse is to make sure you don't get backed up and to help move the toxins out of your body. After the cleanse you shouldn't continue taking that much.

What cleanse are you doing? Sounds interesting.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I guess I should look into taking flaxseed oil.....
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    oh goodness. I dont think there is anything nutritionally wrong with that much flax. But your body might not agree! When I started adding flax - I did it too quick. Me and the fam were sick. Stomach cramps and other related issues. I had to slowly add it in until we got used to it. Of course, you said it was a cleanse so maybe thats the point. If you get too uncomfortable, just back down and see if that help.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Why are you concerned? Are yo concerned that the flax seed oil is too much fat content? I am 4 months away from finishing as a Holistic Nutritionist, and I can tell you the flax seed oil is not a source of dietary fat.

This oil goes into your body and is used to make you healthy (lubircates hair and skin, provides the body the highest amount of essential fatty acids from a plant source).

With regards to eating 2tbsp of flax seeds, are these seeds whole? They are a great source of dietary fibre, however.....the body can't breakdown the shell of the flax seed. Our teeth cant grind up the flax seed enough for it to be properly digested. What this means is that you will see flax seeds in your poop. The best way to have flax seeds is to 1. get youself a coffee or spice grinder. 2. grind up your flax seed as you are going to use it (ground flax seed much like flax oil quickly goes rancid -bad- ps. keep your flax oil in the friedge) 3. use the ground flax seed in your oatmeal, smoothies, in salads and anywhere else you can!

Don't worry about eating too much flax or flax oil, you shouldn't see any negative results (i.e. don't effect your dietary fat intake - I take flax oil for EFA's for my eczema {it works great} and because it's a supplement and isnt' stored as fat in the body, I don't count it on here).

I hope this is helpful to you.
  • pcantale
    pcantale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is a Fat Flush Body Protein, it is a product of UNI KEY. It is suppose to cleanse your liver and thyroid and jump start your weight loss. They claim u can lose up to 20 lbs in the 2 weeks. Fingers r crossed that hopefully it works.
  • pcantale
    Options
    Thanks for all your guys advice. I am just nervous cause when I googled too much flax intake it had things like bleeding internally, thinning blood and liver issues. Most websites are saying that you shouldn't consume that much daily but I guess if it is for a 14 days it might be safe. i have an underactive thyroid so I am hoping that it works.

Miranda, do you know of anything you can take to help your thyroid function again. I heard kelp and iodine but the doctors are against it.
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    I am currently working on a case study to boost the 'clients' thyroid. Did the Dr. explain why to avoid kelp and Iodine?

I'm not quite sure what your Dr's background in nutrition is, however on average doctors are offered an optional 3hrs or less class in nutrition, and often many choose other electives that they view as being more relavent to what their perception is for them becoming a Dr.

A diet high in goitrogens (nightshade family - bell peppers, eggplant Cabbage soy, cauliflower, peanuts, millet etc) as they inhibit (prevent) the body's uptake of iodine and other nutrients needed for proper thyroid function.

depending on what the root case is (rather than simply the symptoms of) for your (under or overactive) thyroid, depends on the reason for it's level of function.

You can always private message me for more information, I would love to offer any help I can.
  • pcantale
    Options
    Thanks Miranda, I will inbox you. I just read the label on the flax oil it does have soy is that a problem? I will take you up on that offer for the help. That is so nice of you. Thanks again.
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Really, MirandaJayne? I don't have to count my TBSP of flax oil in my morning smoothie?! Hooray! The extra fat/cal were killing me!
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    Really, MirandaJayne? I don't have to count my TBSP of flax oil in my morning smoothie?! Hooray! The extra fat/cal were killing me!

We need to stop thinking that healthy sources of fats (Coconut oil, flax, avocados etc) are going to make us fat. our bodies and our bodies cells need fat to stay healthy. Those fats are used to keep our cells lubricated and mobile. To make this more visual, think of our blood cells. If they aren't fluid they clump together, rather than flow freely.

What we need to look at is our processed foods, refined and white flours and sugars. Look for healthier more natural sources of sugars like honey, maple syrup, date sugar, dehydrated cane sugar (for bakings). The other refined white flours and sugars are not offering our bodies any nutritional benefits. Other than having the appeal of being 'low calories' and even at that I don't consider it very beneficial.

EAT YOUR FATS!

Ironically, if you load up your smoothies with some flax oil, coconut oil, some cacao poweder, some honey, dark leafy greens (or wheatgrass powders), and other nutritionally dense foods like maca, a sprouted brown rice protein powder. This will sustain you for much longer than a standard refind flour, carb rich breakfast. I've gone from breakfast to lunch doing this without feeling hungry at all.

So yes your one meal will be high in cals and fats, but you will also won't need to eat as much, so you can get all your needed nutritents in that meal and not worry about 'going over'.

I hope this is helpful.

Message me if you're ever interested in more!
  • jkapustin
    Options
    have you heard of a daily dose of 3 Tbsp flaxseed oil blended with 6 Tbsp of cottage cheese with 2 Tbsp of flax seeds as a daily supplement- is this good for us????