Eating excersize calories

Options
Hi. I am new to this. I have lost 13 pounds so far!!! YAY!! My question is....I have my daily calories at 1350, but when I add in exercise it ups my daily calories. I have not really been using those extra calories because I feel like exercise is just a bonus....not a way to earn extra food. Am I right in this? I have a long way to go and of course I want to do it the quickest and most efficient way. But MFP tells me at the end of everyday that I could be putting my body in starvation mode. I always reach my daily 1350, but I just do not use the exercise calories.

So what is your experience with this? Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi

We talk about this A LOT - so some one made this www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

If you keep clicking through you will find some links to previous topics on this note that will help :)

Great work on your loss so far, keep it up x
  • GooneyAngel
    Options
    You are thinking right! I learned in nursing school that one should never eat less than 1000 calories a day. So, you are on the right track.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I cant eat my exercise. I dont lose weight when I do. Of course I have my bad days whre I do eat them. But do what works for you, so far it seems like you are doing very well without eating them :)
  • CurlyVonda
    CurlyVonda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm the same way. I don't eat my exercise calories at all, and I never go over my regular daily goal of 1300. I hope someone will let us know if we really need to eat them. I know with weight watchers we get extra points for activity, but you don't have to eat them.
  • cat_1977
    cat_1977 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to eat them - I'd be starving otherwise!
  • ElizabethRPh
    ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new too. I've lost almost 2 pounds in the 5 days I've been working with this. I am very pleased with that! I am not using my exercise calories either. This is not putting me into starvation mode! I only have 1200 cal to work with and my workouts are at least 400. We are leaving for Rome in 5 weeks so I really want the results fast. I have been trying for over a year to lose 4 measly pounds I gained after foot surgery. In the meantime I found 6 more and that was strictly following a high protein, doctor driven weight loss plan. It was just too many calories for me. This is working and I'm ecstatic. I am anxious to hear the other replies. I am happy to finally be going in the "down" direction!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If you do heavy exercise your body will NEVER go into starvation mode. Your body will supply the energy it needs to function no matter what you eat. I also know that everybody burns calories differently so just because it says walking 30 min burns 200 calories as an example thats just a rough average guesstimate for every person. The simple math is burn more then you consume= weight loss. Just consider calories burned during exercise a bonus to your calorie burn overall totals.
  • nareykay
    nareykay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok.....so when I set up my profile I wasnt sure what activity level I should be. Before I started this journey I was sedentary, but now I am working out atleast 1 hour 5 days a week. So do I need to be sedentary (which is what I am when I am not exercising) or do I need to be active since I excersize now?

Sorry for all the questions!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Ok.....so when I set up my profile I wasnt sure what activity level I should be. Before I started this journey I was sedentary, but now I am working out atleast 1 hour 5 days a week. So do I need to be sedentary (which is what I am when I am not exercising) or do I need to be active since I excersize now?

Sorry for all the questions!!

yes. Your baseline is sedentary. Than post your exercise. Read and decide if or how many of your exercise calories you will consume.
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories. I make sure I eat good meals through out the day and eat 1700 calories. I am never starving or super hungry because I eat my last meal after I have already worked out.