Eating excersize calories

nareykay
nareykay Posts: 18 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi. I am new to this. I have lost 13 pounds so far!!! YAY!! My question is....I have my daily calories at 1350, but when I add in exercise it ups my daily calories. I have not really been using those extra calories because I feel like exercise is just a bonus....not a way to earn extra food. Am I right in this? I have a long way to go and of course I want to do it the quickest and most efficient way. But MFP tells me at the end of everyday that I could be putting my body in starvation mode. I always reach my daily 1350, but I just do not use the exercise calories.

So what is your experience with this? Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Hi

We talk about this A LOT - so some one made this www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

If you keep clicking through you will find some links to previous topics on this note that will help :)

Great work on your loss so far, keep it up x
  • You are thinking right! I learned in nursing school that one should never eat less than 1000 calories a day. So, you are on the right track.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    I cant eat my exercise. I dont lose weight when I do. Of course I have my bad days whre I do eat them. But do what works for you, so far it seems like you are doing very well without eating them :)
  • CurlyVonda
    CurlyVonda Posts: 59 Member
    Hi!
    I'm the same way. I don't eat my exercise calories at all, and I never go over my regular daily goal of 1300. I hope someone will let us know if we really need to eat them. I know with weight watchers we get extra points for activity, but you don't have to eat them.
  • cat_1977
    cat_1977 Posts: 79 Member
    I feel like I have to eat them - I'd be starving otherwise!
  • ElizabethRPh
    ElizabethRPh Posts: 19 Member
    I'm pretty new too. I've lost almost 2 pounds in the 5 days I've been working with this. I am very pleased with that! I am not using my exercise calories either. This is not putting me into starvation mode! I only have 1200 cal to work with and my workouts are at least 400. We are leaving for Rome in 5 weeks so I really want the results fast. I have been trying for over a year to lose 4 measly pounds I gained after foot surgery. In the meantime I found 6 more and that was strictly following a high protein, doctor driven weight loss plan. It was just too many calories for me. This is working and I'm ecstatic. I am anxious to hear the other replies. I am happy to finally be going in the "down" direction!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    If you do heavy exercise your body will NEVER go into starvation mode. Your body will supply the energy it needs to function no matter what you eat. I also know that everybody burns calories differently so just because it says walking 30 min burns 200 calories as an example thats just a rough average guesstimate for every person. The simple math is burn more then you consume= weight loss. Just consider calories burned during exercise a bonus to your calorie burn overall totals.
  • nareykay
    nareykay Posts: 18 Member
    Ok.....so when I set up my profile I wasnt sure what activity level I should be. Before I started this journey I was sedentary, but now I am working out atleast 1 hour 5 days a week. So do I need to be sedentary (which is what I am when I am not exercising) or do I need to be active since I excersize now?

Sorry for all the questions!!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Ok.....so when I set up my profile I wasnt sure what activity level I should be. Before I started this journey I was sedentary, but now I am working out atleast 1 hour 5 days a week. So do I need to be sedentary (which is what I am when I am not exercising) or do I need to be active since I excersize now?

Sorry for all the questions!!

yes. Your baseline is sedentary. Than post your exercise. Read and decide if or how many of your exercise calories you will consume.
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    I do not eat my exercise calories. I make sure I eat good meals through out the day and eat 1700 calories. I am never starving or super hungry because I eat my last meal after I have already worked out.
This discussion has been closed.