Seeing the weight come off?

Options
In turn with diet (following MFP) and excerise, how soon do people typically see "weight loss"....I've been doing this for a week, which isnt long i know. but i'm too scared to get on the scale, i feel i might get discouarged.

Replies

• Fleur933
    Fleur933 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    About a week/week and a half was when I first weighed in. (And saw my first loss:) ). Don't be afriad. Remember that your body may need time to adjust to your changes. And above all resist the urge to weigh daily...this can batter your confidence. I find it best to check in weekly(apx.)

Good LUCK!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Of course some was water weight. I was down another pound at the beginning of this week. A lot goes into the number on the scale though so don't get discouraged if it's not what you expected. Just keep pluggin' along and you'll get there =]
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you cut out soda or major amounts of sugar, if you added a large amount of water at all, if you are exercising very lightly or not at all:

You will likely see a big decrease in the first 1-2 weeks. From water retention, when you add more water, you convince your body it is ok to let go of it's reserves, because you are drinking enough to live on.

If in your first week you didn't change your diet all that much, if you had already drank a lot of water, or if you are exercising very often and high intensity:

You will see a loss in the first 2-4 weeks. Your body is shocked with a high intensity exercise routine, or isn't very impressed with your diet (because it is the same). Eventually it will get used to what you are doing and decide it is alright to use up fat reserves as energy, and you will see a loss.

Either way, you will see a loss as long as you keep drinking water, making smart food choices, eating reasonable portions, and staying active :smile:
  • MistaChrista11
    Options
    what caused the water loss? My trainer told me to lower my sodium intake (thank you MFP for telling me it was high!) I think if i keep up with keeping my sodium down, it will help the water weight?but i'm not sure....
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    This is my life - I'm doing this for my health - the weight loss is a byproduct of the great work I'm doing. I hate the scale - I do weigh and have times when it blesses me with a loss and times when it does not! I am determined to not let the dreaded scale run my life! I have vowed to become the healthy person hidden under the layers on my body. I will NOT let the scale deter me or get me discouraged. My cloths feeling looser - the spring in my step......these are such better "scales" - for me anyway.
    Good luck!
  • MistaChrista11
    Options
    My trainer said the same thing almost, so it must be true :) and i'm doing all those things, so thanks :)
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    what caused the water loss? My trainer told me to lower my sodium intake (thank you MFP for telling me it was high!) I think if i keep up with keeping my sodium down, it will help the water weight?but i'm not sure....

Keeping your sodium in check definitely helps with water weight. As does upping your water intake if it's not already a good amount. If you drink alcohol, make sure you get enough water that day as well, as alcohol can cause you to hold onto water as well. I drink 12-16 cups of water a day and still hold onto water. Yesterday I dropped 3 pounds of water weight during my hour long stationary bike ride. That's why I only weigh once a week as recommended because of all the fluctuations in weight during the week.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    seeing weight loss can be a far cry from seeing the scale move down! i just hopped off of a 12 week plateau in which the scale didn't budge, save for moving up and down the same 2 pounds, the entire time. *but*, i lost inches during this time, and a lot of people kept asking me how i was losing weight so fast - which i wasn't at all!

sooo...to answer your question - it all depends on your body.

my advice would be to use the scale as a *tool* - not the be-all, end-all of your weight loss journey. the scale is *not* your friend - it is a machine that does not take into account inches lost, endurance, healthy heart and lungs, etc.

do make friends with a measuring tape, and pay strict attention to how your clothes fit and feel. these will be more valuable to you in the long run, especially when the scale doesn't cooperate for a bit - you don't want to get discouraged and throw in the towel. because unless you are deluding yourself (by eating a whole bag of doritos and then logging it as one serving, or something like that), the weight *will* come off, and you *are* getting healthier and smaller, regardless of what the scale says!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh in until almost 1 month after I started consistently working out and watching my diet. I didn't want to get discouraged and weighing in will certainly do it. There are so many factors that could affect your weight during weigh in...water retention, same time of day that you weighed from last time, or even time of the month (females only).
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    Don't b discouarged @ all. The scale is a guide to help assist u in your acheivements & goals that u may have set. I used the scale every monday. However it has been about 2wks since my last weigh in....I know you'll 2 will b friends......GOOD LUCK in your journey to a HEALTHIER LIVIN............
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Funny enough.. I was set to lose 1/2 a pound a week and I lost 1/2 a lb in 2 days. I guess it just depends!
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Lots of sodium can be bad, but holding water weight isn't always a bad thing. Mostly if you work out a lot or for long periods of time >2 hours. Drinking lots of water is a major factor in losing weight. It helps your body function and it's actually a diuretic, so don't think that if you drink a bunch of water it's gonna stay on you. It will if you eat lots of high sodium foods, but that isn't really the weight you're concerned, or should be concerned about, it's most likely fat. If you see gain or lots of loss part of it could be just water weight depending on your previous weight and how much sodium you had in your diet.
    As far as your initial question, I lost 2 lbs the first week, but I stuck to things pretty close. Drinking water and watching calories. Actually, all I did was watch calories at first. All of those other numbers were just too daunting. Also, try to stay as close to your daily allowance as you can within 100 or so. Too far under is not good, it can actually keep you from losing weight. I've seen a lot of people on here say that they increased their calories by 200-300/day and started losing weight. Also, if you can, just weigh yourself once a week at the same time, should be in the morning before you eat to get the best(most consistent) result.
    Also, take people's advice with a grain of salt and do what you find works for you.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It depends what your diet was like before and what changes you have made. I started noticing clothes getting looser after about 6 weeks, but I still can't see a difference myself, even though I am a clothes size down now.