Counting Calories

Options
I have this snack pack of trail mix and I am TOTALLY confused at how you are suppose to log this. I am new to all of this and have never counted calories so I am not sure how to do it on anything really. There are so many catergories on the back of a box I never know which one to go by!!!
Anyhow, the trail mix says:

Serving Size 3 Tablespoons(30g)
Servings per container about 3
Amount Per serving
Calories 160 Calories from fat 90

If I eat the whole snack pack does that mean I have to log this item 3 times since there is 3 servings in the bag???? And then resulting in 480 calories on one damn bag of trail mix????

When an item says calories and then calories from fat do you add those numbers together to get the total amount of calories in that item? Or are the fat calories already included in the number???

Please HELP ME.

Replies

• getskinnynow
    Options
    I have this snack pack of trail mix and I am TOTALLY confused at how you are suppose to log this. I am new to all of this and have never counted calories so I am not sure how to do it on anything really. There are so many catergories on the back of a box I never know which one to go by!!!

Amount Per serving

If I eat the whole snack pack does that mean I have to log this item 3 times since there is 3 servings in the bag???? And then resulting in 480 calories on one damn bag of trail mix????

When an item says calories and then calories from fat do you add those numbers together to get the total amount of calories in that item? Or are the fat calories already included in the number???

Please HELP ME.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    If you have eaten the full bag and it had 3 servings in it then yes you would put it in as 3 servings eaten.

The Grams of fat would be below that when it gives you the details. So it would show you the fat grams, then the saturated fats and give you the break down. Just like when you have to add a food in. Hope that helps you.
  • getskinnynow
    Options
    Okay then my little cup of soup says

serving size 1 cup (240ml) What is this mean?
    Servings about 2 How could I have 2 cups of soup in only one serving size???

Calories 190 Fat calories 80 If you eat the whole cup then you double the 190 number or do you double both numbers?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The serving size of something is hardly ever the entire package.

So, let's say for example, something says: calories: 100
    servings per container: 2. The entire container is 200 calories.

So, when your "cup" of soup says serving size "one cup"... they mean a measuring cup, not the "cup" of soup.

So, if there are two actual measuring cups in the "cup" of soup, that's two servings. And yes, all the nutrition doubles if there are two servings in something.

Hope that helps!:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Amount Per serving

Please HELP ME.

Check out this web site. Maybe it will help
    www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/foodlab.html
  • getskinnynow
    Options
    The web site breaks it down very nicely.
    From what I am understanding, the serving size is what the calories listed represent.
    The calories will change depending on what you eat in that serving.

For example the goofy trail mix:

If you only eat 30g (I have no clue how to determine what amount that would be) then you have eaten 160 calories, 90 are from fat.
    If you ate 60 g then you have eaten 320 calories, 180 are fat
    If you eat the whole bag then you have eaten 480 calories, 270 are from fat.

Is this right??
    And now that I look at it this way it is not such a worthwhile snack!!! LOL
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay then my little cup of soup says

serving size 1 cup (240ml) What is this mean?
    Servings about 2 How could I have 2 cups of soup in only one serving size???

Calories 190 Fat calories 80 If you eat the whole cup then you double the 190 number or do you double both numbers?

1 Cup is 1 Serving
    2 Cups is 2 Servings

The can contains 2 servings, which is 2 cups.
    One serving contains 190 calories. 80 of the calories are from fat, and the other 110 are from protein and carbs,
    The whole can, which is two servings, contains 380 calories. 160 are from fat, and the other 220 are from protein and carbs.

The 'from fat' section isn't EXTRA calories, it is just telling you how many calories are from fat in the item.

The serving size is the recommended amount to eat at one sitting. The whole container holds however many servings there are (in this case, two).
  • getskinnynow
    Options
    Thank you VERY much songbyrdsweet, I feel silly for not knowing that, but I never have read labels and it can be so confusing.

It sure does make me think twice about what I am eating. Also, I am on a 1300 calorie a day. I have not been reaching that completely. Should I actually be looking to eat things to make sure that I reach the same number evey day???
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I forget that they do the 2 serving thing and whooppps its too late now.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thank you VERY much songbyrdsweet, I feel silly for not knowing that, but I never have read labels and it can be so confusing.

It sure does make me think twice about what I am eating. Also, I am on a 1300 calorie a day. I have not been reaching that completely. Should I actually be looking to eat things to make sure that I reach the same number evey day???

Absolutely! Is that with activity included? The site creates a built-in deficit for you if you choose the Guided goals option. The baseline calories are what you need to eat to stay alive with no activity at all. That's why it's so important to log your walking, cleaning, and exercise so more calories are added to your total, and to eat all of them.
  • getskinnynow
    Options
    Can somebody let me know if I should be looking for fillers in my daily intake of calories to be sure that I reach the same number each day? Or can I just eat what I want and not worry if I reach the 1300 daily??
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Can somebody let me know if I should be looking for fillers in my daily intake of calories to be sure that I reach the same number each day? Or can I just eat what I want and not worry if I reach the 1300 daily??

Well not 'fillers' really...make sure your food is nutritive and healthy. You should reach your caloric goal with food that will benefit you, like whole grains and lean protein and healthy fat, not stuff like snack cakes or microwave pizza :wink:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I think the trail mix would be a nice filler if you don't get to the 1300. So are nuts - 1 oz = 150-190 calories. An ounce isn't that much either = 35 peanuts, 22 almonds, 14 walnut halves.

A word on trail mix - I know it's in the health food section and it is good for you in its way - BUT it's made for hiking - long days walking all day long, keeping the pack light = high calories per weight.
  • gasanchez
    Options
    WOW! I had no idea folks were just as confused as I am on this calorie thing! But I'm learning, we're learning!

Everything is gonna be alright!

I check the labels on everything & I have learned the calories per serving part of it all. Almost everything is at least two servings or more - like those little soups & those trail mixes - Who would have thought, right? I google things like fruit & vegetables, things without labels.

My question is: Should I be looking at more than just the calories on the labels? For example, do I need to take the fat calories into consideration as well? I read something about multiplying somehting? Basically, am I counting all wrong?

Thanks!
  • getskinnynow
    Options
    Alleulia gasanchez, thanks 4 admitting you are just as calorie challenged as I am!!!! LOL

Yes, I know what you mean about mulitplying something. That is why I though tthat you had to add the calories and then the calories from fat.

I know that I am counting the calories and about the fat thing, I was told to just make sure that you are not getting ALL fat from something and too choose wisely on the fat intake.

How do you conunt beverages?

I have been drinkning that Diet Lipton Citrus Tea?????
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You actually can eat things that are mostly fat, like nuts or peanut butter, just like you can eat things that are mostly carbs or protein, like bread and chicken. Fat doesn't make you fat. It's just another source of calories, all but trans fats are good for you.

If your beverage has no calories, it doesn't count as anything. If it has carbohydrates/fat/protein, then it has calories.