What is an accurate push up?

Options
I've decided to do the hundred push-ups challenge and I read the description of a push up, but it didn't say if you had to go all the way to the floor or not. If I have to go all the way to the floor I can do 3 push ups... If I go about half way down then I can do 7!! So what is it?

Replies

• PrettyOscar
    PrettyOscar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've decided to do the hundred push-ups challenge and I read the description of a push up, but it didn't say if you had to go all the way to the floor or not. If I have to go all the way to the floor I can do 3 push ups... If I go about half way down then I can do 7!! So what is it?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    A military push up is your face coming within a fist width from the floor. Elbows bent at a 90 degree angle.
    pushup.JPG
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Only go about half way down. Some one told me not to bend my elbows more than 90*. Join us on the Hundred Pushups October thread! We've got some great encouragers in there!:happy:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Found with that photo on http://zeena.freedomblogging.com/2008/04/12/do-you-do-pushups-correctly/

"Do you do pushups correctly?
    April 12th, 2008, 8:52 pm · 1 Comment · posted by zeena
    I’ve been reexamining this exercise because it’s used by so many people as a great way to strengthen the upper body. In addition to being excellent for the chest, shoulders and triceps, it’s wonderful for the core. Regardless if it’s done on your knees, on a bench, elbows out or elbows in, the pushup can be tough and effective.

HOWEVER, if done incorrectly the pushup can put strain on the lower back and shoulder complex. Pushups have become controversial lately because they have been linked to injuries in the military; so I thought I’d talk about the proper form that should be considered when executing this exercise.

First and foremost make sure that your body is in a straight line — from your shoulders to your knees. If you are on your toes, then this line should extend to your toes. Your pelvis should be in a slightly “tucked” position, which means your abs are really pulled in and your bottom is NOT sticking up to the sky. Your lower back should NOT be arched. It’s important to mention the common mistakes such as these.

Moving our attention to the upper body, the number one most important point is to have your hands directly under your shoulders . If they are under your face then they are too far up and you will use too much of your neck and shoulders to perform the exercise. Also your back muscles should be working to keep your shoulders AWAY from your ears. This is super important! Your head should NOT be dipping down towards the floor but instead in line with your spine. Your eyes will look about a foot in front of your hands.

As you bend down on an inhalation, make sure that the head does not drop and the shoulders do not glide up to the ears. Only go as low as you can while maintaining good form. Make sure your bottom half moves with you in a straight line, and that your shoulder blades stay flat and do NOT pinch together on your way down.

As you push up on an exhalation, move slowly and in control, keeping everything in line. If done correctly, you should only be able to pump out 10 good ones!"
  • PrettyOscar
    PrettyOscar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!