Calories burned?

donnab1981
donnab1981 Posts: 1
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone noticed if you log in an exersize it says something like 120 cals buned for 30 mins cardio, but my treadmill will say i burned like 200...or walking at a brisk pace on here will burn 80 ish and treadmill says 120..thats a big diff to me, which is more accurate?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    MFP would be more accurate. Exercise machines are made to estimate a tad higher (at least for women). It's a psychological thing--businesses want you to think that their piece of equipment is giving you a better workout than the competitor.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    you should get a HRM. That will be the most accurate.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    The arbitrary defaults listed on MFP and on your machine are probably both wrong. I highly recommend skimming a handful of websites on caloric burn rates which will factor in your weight and the specific exercise you are doing to tell you what your burn rate really is. Average them and use that. :)
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    MFP and the machines are pretty close in calories burned as long as you can input your weight and age into the machine.

However, I bought a HRM about a month ago and WHOA! For instance, tonight I went 60 mins on the elliptical. The machine said 861 cals, but the HRM showed 515 =/ HUGE HUGE difference.
  • angiegee
    angiegee Posts: 3 Member
    THE ONLY WAY TO CALCULATE YOUR SPECIFIC CALORIES BURNED IS GET A HEART RATE MONITOR!!!
This discussion has been closed.