elliptical.... Am I doing it right?:)

Options
So, while walking on the treadmill, I am secretly jealous of all the people burning mad calories on the elliptical. I have tried that machine and I dont think that it likes me very much. It kills my lower back and quads.... Could it be that I am doing it wrong? Is that possible? Im not sure..... Any feedback from elliptical lovers??

Replies

• Dan_okie90
    Options
    Try to bring your resistance down. Make it feel more natural.
  • geonote
    geonote Posts: 12
    Options
    If the machine is in the gym, which is what it sounds like from your post, then ask a trainer to take a look at how you're using the machine. I've owned both a treadmill and an elliptical and I much prefer the elliptical. The machine usually has many settings to adjust to what your goals are. Try varying it and don't be afraid that you are not doing enough!
    Good luck!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've heard that some people just don't get along well with the elliptical. I don't have any issues and in fact it's my main winter exercise. But I have a friend whose in better shape than I am who can barely walk after trying to exercise on the elliptical due to lower back pain. It might just be that you're one of the folks that isn't going to be able to elliptical.

But, why not do brief runs on the treadmill? If you think you can do the elliptical, you should be able to do something like run 2 minutes, walk 5 minutes, repeat for 30 minutes or so. Then you will get a better burn.
  • Tantini
    Tantini Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I "feel" it in my quads, but I want to because I then know it's doing something! But it's not painful to me. My feet start to feel numb after about 20 minutes on the elliptical though. I'm not sure why though. Hope you figure it out!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It doesn't feel "right" for me either!! I wish it did!!
  • connst
    connst Posts: 5
    Options
    Sometimes it takes time to get use too...the first time I could only do 5 mins...and felt like I was walking on a out of control boat when I got off...today I did 25 mins and didn't stumble at all when I got done. Is it pain or just ackwardness? If just ackward maybe keep trying adding a little more time each day?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I "feel" it in my quads, but I want to because I then know it's doing something! But it's not painful to me. My feet start to feel numb after about 20 minutes on the elliptical though. I'm not sure why though. Hope you figure it out!

I also get the numb feet. What is up with that? Anyone know?
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Some of the cheaper ellipticals (which I have) don't have a very comfortable stride. When I first started I could only do 5 minutes. I just took it slow and tried to do a little more each day. Now I'm up to 40 minutes at 50 RPM. I could go longer but I'm also doing Power 90 so I try not to wear myself out too much. :wink:
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I love the elliptical! It's my favorite burn of all. I don't ache or hurt anywhere near as much as other-higher impact-machines. My toes start to tingle after 15 or 20 minutes though and I have to move my feet a little to wake them up... but I think it's my shoes. I desperately need new shoes.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Some say it could be your shoes are too tight. For me it was because I am short and have short arms and have to lean forward slightly to hold on to the handles. Which was putting pressure on my toes. I turned the foot rests around so that I can scoot forward more and get my feet under me. It has helped greatly!
  • countsplunkett
    Options
    When you first start off it is hard on the back and legs.I always use the quick start level 3 and I am comfortable with that. Ask a trainer or a person at the gym.I love the elliptical..
  • aangrisani
    Options
    So, while walking on the treadmill, I am secretly jealous of all the people burning mad calories on the elliptical. I have tried that machine and I dont think that it likes me very much. It kills my lower back and quads.... Could it be that I am doing it wrong? Is that possible? Im not sure..... Any feedback from elliptical lovers??

Haha, I was jealous of all the eliptical people too while I was on the treadmill too!! So funny that you felt the same. So I tried the elliptical, the first couple of times I lasted for 5 minutes and then gradually longer periods of time. I am now an elliptical person and don't think I can go back to the treadmill, it's so boring now to me.

Do a little at a time and focus on your movement. Try to be as natural as possible and just glide back and forth at a pace you can handle. Also, lower the resistance down to nothing and gradually adapt your body. I hope that helps and it works out for you. The elipitcal is a great workout.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My quads feel the elliptical and so do my arms. But I LOVE that about it! My back does not hurt though - make sure you're not having to lean forward on the machine. Maybe that particular elliptical isn't the right "fit" for you. I've used some that feel awkward because I either have to reach too far ahead for the handles (thus I have to lean forward all the time) or the stride is too short. Don't give up on them in general - they are awesome!!!

You can burn more calories walking on a treadmill if choose a high incline. Also, make sure you have a very brisk pace. And for crying out loud - don't hang on (one of my major peeves)!! And if you can run for short periods, do that. Try 30 seconds running, 60 seconds walking (for an example). That should make a big difference in your calorie burn too. Or put your incline up to 10 or 15 for 60 seconds and then back down to 5 for 60 seconds, etc. Anything you can do to create an "interval" experience will be very beneficial!
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Some say it could be your shoes are too tight. For me it was because I am short and have short arms and have to lean forward slightly to hold on to the handles. Which was putting pressure on my toes. I turned the foot rests around so that I can scoot forward more and get my feet under me. It has helped greatly!
    The feet going numb is due to the extra pressure from the forward motion pushing your feet forward in your shoes and the position on the foot rest. I used to get that all the time on the elliptical at my old gym and I would pedal backwards for a few minutes to get rid of the numbness. At my new gym I don't experience numbness on the eliptical so I am thinking it may have had to do with the equipment and where your feet are positioned.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try to press your weight back into your heels. Pull in your core and tuck down your tailbone. It doesn't have to be an extreme motion - basically just adjust your posture to be more upright. (This works when running too.) It will help with both your lower back pain and the numbness in your toes. Like mama always said, stand up straight. :)
  • Sarahmami
    Sarahmami Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your awesome responses! You guys are quick! :) I am going to try that dang machine again tomorrow!
  • margaretbrooks
    Options
    i can't do the elliptical either . I hate it not because its too hard. because i do long periods of time on the arc trainer. which is way harder but i feel like its an easier flow of motion. I feel like the ecclipticals flow of motion is just unnatural and hard
  • x98peterson
    x98peterson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree, try to balance your weight in different spots every few minutes. If my back starts to hurt, I like to use my arms a bit to uncramp it... I also notice some people like to "bounce" on it, I only do this at the lower resistance levels, if I am bouncing, I turn it up a notch to avoid the bounce, but sometimes it is just fun!

:)