Self-Induced Plateau?

Options
I joined MFP around January 1 (the determination to finally get fit happened to coincide with the new year, it wasn't an actual resolution). I lost 18-19 pounds by the end of February (I do believe this was "short-term" fat; the fat that has most recently been put on in places that fat storage doesn't usually happen in for women). Also, I finally got to the "healthy" range in BMI due to this. For most of this time, I was around 1000 net calories a day.

Then, Spring Break happened. I stayed at my parents' house for a few days, and realized why I kept getting heavier, slowly but surely, while I lived at home. Those dinners were very calorie-dense! I still logged what I ate, and stayed around my metabolic rate. No loss, but no gain either. I considered that a success.

The week after Spring Break, I was reading up a lot on the forums here that one should never go below 1200 net calories. I realized this made quite a bit of sense after reading a lot of explanations. So, I figured I should do a possible self-induced plateau instead of waiting another couple months of not feeding my body enough for it to do it on its own. The logic was that two months of slight underfeeding would be easier to repair than four or five months.

It's been about three weeks of my weight now being between 148 and 149. The scale isn't budging, and I take this to mean that I very well may have been underfeeding myself and I did self-induce a plateau. I understand it's going to take a little bit for my metabolism to adjust to the extra ~200 calories per day. It's still a little frustrating to see my weight plummeting 8-9 pounds a month for two months and to have lost 3 pounds this month. I also realize that now, because I am in the healthy range in BMI and body fat now, that weight loss is going to go more slowly, but I didn't realize it would be that sudden of a change. My measurements are still going down, too, at the same rate even.

I suppose I do have a couple of questions:
1) While I know the scale "lies," what's keeping my weight from going down while I'm still losing inches? There is NO way I'm gaining muscle that quickly (a professional body builder couldn't do it that quickly), so, what is it?
2) How long does a couple months of under-eating by 200 calories take to repair? That is, how long before one's metabolism "wakes up" again?
3) Since I'm losing inches but not weight, is my metabolism still just as active before, and this is just a serious case of a lying scale?

I apologize for the long post. I don't think I've seen anyone self-induce a plateau in the discussion boards, so this might shed some light on others who may be thinking about doing the same thing. Plus, I just want to know what my body's up to. I'm not freaking out, and I'm barely discouraged; I'm just curious about what's going on with my insides.

Replies

• riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers for you, as I am in the same boat (kind of). I lost 23 lbs in January and February, but nothing since. Today I learned that the number of calories I was consuming was too low, which now has me on this plateau. I'm trying some things to shake up my metabolism, but I'm looking forward to hearing what others may have to say about your situation.

Wishing you all the best and much success!!
  • jeffy84
    jeffy84 Posts: 21
    Options
    Take satisfaction in the fact that you have lost inches in measurement as that is equally important!
    I just lost some weight but a lot of that was muscle ratio as I hadn't worked out in a week and a half, but my measurements we're down as well, reflecting the fitness work i'd put in the weeks prior.
    So, yes musle/fat mass ratio can alter very quickly with exercise change.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You could actually be gaining muscle if you were really out of shape and are now finally getting some muscle as for professional body builders already have muscle so they will have a harder time making that muscle bigger and better. Similar to you reaching the healthy BMI and it makes it harder to lose weight. Also to boost your metabolism you will want to go way over on calories for a day maybe two then go back to you normal amount of calories and you should start to lose the weight again. Good luck and have fun.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There is a post under "Food and Nutrition" topics titled "700 calories a day and not losing" that might be helpful to you. It is an article written by a trainer (I take it) that recounts a woman's journey of recovering to a healthy metabolism after eating less than healthy calories long term. It is pretty long, but well worth the read.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    Updating more experimentation: I lowered my weight loss goal from 1.5 pounds per week to 1.0 pounds per week. That's upping calories from 1200 to 1450. I will still burn around 200-250 calories from exercise 5-6 days a week, and eat those calories back. Let's see how this goes...