Recommendation for Appetite Suppressant?

Options
13»

Replies

• silvergrace
    Options
    I would be very, very careful with diet pills/appetite suppressant pills. I work on the liver disease/liver transplant floor and many of our patients suffer permanenet liver damage from taking those pills.
  • Rollyrover
    Rollyrover Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i eat when im bored as well, my husband works nights for the Corrections Department in New Zealand and i find once he not here to annoy me and try to make me laugh i eat before i go to bed and i shouldn't as i feel sick.

I need some kind of suppressant as well to stop me doing it. I have been eating more healthy since doing this and im enjoying but im finding it hard to stop the habits
  • Flora_Delirus
    Options
    Well I've decided not to take any. I was simply looking for something mild to help curb the cravings but obviously I'm not drinking enough water.

I did stop today by the store and pick up some cinnamon capsules. I'll give it a try and report back later if I feel any different.
    I would be very, very careful with diet pills/appetite suppressant pills. I work on the liver disease/liver transplant floor and many of our patients suffer permanenet liver damage from taking those pills.
  • Flora_Delirus
    Options
    Hmmmm...that's not a bad idea. We don't really get 'breaks' here at work, or should I say scheduled breaks. But maybe I could get the guy that goes outside to smoke to come get me and I can walk while he smoke in the designated area. That way I go out and at least do one lap around the small lake/pond we have here at the 'park'. I think it's 1/4 or 1/2 mile. Not sure really but it'd still be out getting a walk and fresh air.

Thanks for the advice!
    I also eat when I'm bored and the first thing I do is grab the water. But make sure to take your breaks and get away from your job. I go out side with co-workers both morning and afternoon breaks and walk, rain or shine and in the great Pacific NW we get our share of rain! We do a 1 mile loop in 15 minutes and it really clears your head, it also makes the day go faster and takes your mind off being bored.
  • Flora_Delirus
    Options
    Hmmm... interesting. What kind of licoric? Brand name that is. Where can I find it? We actually have a licorice shop in the next town over. It has ALLLLL kinds from around the world so I know if I can't find it in stores here, I can go there and get a bag or two to tuck away.

Just another idea to try. And yes, the stronger the flavor I think with me, the more it'll take that 'craving' away....especailly if it's not sweet sweet like us Americans like it.
    I have started eating licorice, not twizzlers, real licorice. 3 pieces is 130 calories. the pieces are big and the flavoring is so heavy that it leaves me not wanting to eat anything for at least a few hours. Give it a try :-)
  • Flora_Delirus
    Options
    If I'm not eating a sandwhich for lunch, I usually do a salad with a homemade vinegret dressing. But I put chicken on it and again, after awhile, I have to have a change or I'll go mad.

What do you put on your salads? And when you say European style, what is that exactly?

As for mint tea, I can handle regular mint but peppermint is not my favorite candy/flavor. It doesn't seem to settle well with me.
    Sounds like you're eating good food but I might suggest trying more fiber. Have you ever tried fiber pills? I know they have fiber powder you can add to food and things. This along with more water will definitely fill your stomach longer. I love salads and try to eat them at the end of my meal European style because the fiber from the lettuce takes longer to digest leaving you fuller longer. The thought of appetite suppressants is a little scary to me which is why I don't have any suggestions for you. I really don't like plain water so I do drink Crystal Light or make tea, my favorite being Peppermint tea from Teavana. With a little Splenda, I drink quite a bit. I have a much easier time drinking tea than drinking water. Anyway, doesn't hurt to try a few different things as no one thing will work for everyone. I definitely recommend fiber though, it also helps with blood sugar. :)
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I'm not eating a sandwhich for lunch, I usually do a salad with a homemade vinegret dressing. But I put chicken on it and again, after awhile, I have to have a change or I'll go mad.

What do you put on your salads? And when you say European style, what is that exactly?

As for mint tea, I can handle regular mint but peppermint is not my favorite candy/flavor. It doesn't seem to settle well with me.

Hey, sorry, what I meant was in Europe, especially France, they eat their salads last because the fiber in the lettuce takes a long time to digest, leaving you fuller longer.

As for the tea, it's more about finding what you like, tea is mainly water so you're still getting your water intake for the day, in a more delicious delivery. I love Crystal Light, I drink that mostly. Anyway, again, good luck! =)
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm using OxyElite Pro right now and I'm almost never hungry even when I SHOULD be hungry. It was awarded as the 2010 Weight Loss Supplement of the year by something. It's highly rated everywhere it's sold and GNC and Bodybuilding.com give it top reviews. And at only about 70 cents a day I'm saving a lot more money by not buying my energy or coffee drinks that I was buying every day before it. Not to mention all the money in fast food that I don't buy anymore.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've started drinking Harney Brothers Cinnamon Spice tea. The tea is naturally sweet from the cinnamon and spices. I don't need to add sugar or honey. I've noticed that when I drink the tea I lose my desire for sweets.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I second the OxyElite Pro. I am using that after a prescription strength Adipex for 3 months. Once this is gone I might try the Cinnamon pills because my Physician recommends weaning myself down from the drugs instead of just stopping once my pills are gone because yes your body is semi-reliant and you have to practice control without the drugs
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My name is Heather and I'm addicted to sugar and food.

If there was a support group for food issues like there is for alchohol addiction, this would be my opening statement.

It's called over-eaters anonymous. Google it.
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump!:love:
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    eat 5-6 small meals and protein at each meal and skip the chemical crap. :smile:
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    1) Water
    2) Protein

3) Fiber.

4) 5-6 mini meals per day
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump:love:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    If you don't change how you handle food, appetite suppressants will only work for you temporarily. 1) You physically can't take them forever. And 2) you have to come off of them from time to time to make them work for you. So the bottom line is: You will have to live your life off of them at some point. You will gain the weight back at that time if you don't change your eating and lifestyle.

If you're having a hard time figuring out where to start, here is some advice:

Calling yourself a sugar and food addict makes me think you believe you're powerless to this. That's the part you need to change. You're not a victim to food. You just misuse it. It's within your power to change it.

The people on this site weren't born with willpower and motivation, they built it themselves over time. You can do that, too. Start small. Start by removing ingredients from your diet, one at a time. Refined sugars (the kind that do NOT occur in fruit or nature). Take them out. Start with counting how long you go without it by the hour if you can't do it by the day yet. Once you've mastered that and your confidence is up, go for something else.

Start small with fitness as well. If you're not motivated to do a thing, you can always do the bare minimum: walk (my favorite). I lost my weight going M-F for 20 minutes a day (walking quickly). If you can't find 20 minutes in your day, I'm inclined to think you're lying to yourself. Add minutes, add speed as you get more confident. Soon you won't have to worry about your willpower and motivation.