Sugar Goals and going over them

jayta
jayta Posts: 2
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just wondering how important meeting the sugar goals MFP sets for me. I'm usually underneath my caloric intake but sometimes I'm over in my sugar sometimes 30 mg over.

How is this affecting my goals?

Replies

• sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 686 Member
    I have to watch my sugars like a hawk due to the fact that I'm right on the border of being pre-diab so they're pretty important to me. LOL for you normal people though, the big question is where are your sugars coming from? If it's from "whites" like white bread, cereal, that stuff then they can hold your progress back. If it's the good natural stuff (fruits, veggies, wheats) then you should be okay. Others can explain it better than I can. Sorry.
  • 2 Pieces of fruit will just about put you over your sugar allowance for the day. My understanding is that processed sugar is bad natural sugar (fructose) that's in fruit is not so bad so the trick is to monitor what kind of sugar you're taking in. I generally end up just under 100g of sugar per day, but it's almost all from fruit.....Ok about 15g from coffee too.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    so long as you are eating a minimum of processed sugars/artificial sweeteners and eating more fruit you are fine to go over, 27 pounds down and being over on sugar lots of those days.
  • alexis92
    alexis92 Posts: 64
    i'm having the same issue! i'm usually fine on calories, but i think my sugar/snacking is keeping me from dropping the weight. i only just started tracking sugar in my diary and had no idea i was going over so much!
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    It's super important that you pay attention to all of the categories (not just calories) and find a balance. Too much sugar will release a lot of insulin, and from my understanding, insulin blocks the breakdown of fat. In proper sugar consumption, the periods of which you're releasing a lot of insulin will be shorter, leaving more time to really get at those fat stores.

I may be wrong, but that's my impression.
  • jayta
    jayta Posts: 2
    Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I have heard the good sugars and bad ones. I have Kin students who are friends they keep telling me to cut out refined sugars. I normally don't have an issue with that, since I'm not usually a sugar craver (I like my salt more) but the past week has been insane as I've been craving lots of sweets lately.

I'm about 4 or 5 months into my healthy lifestyle journey and I've managed to lose about 3/4 of my goal weight. However, I think I've hit a phase of trying to self sabatoge. My brain is like, "I don't care anymore. What's a little of this going to hurt?' Yada yada.

I know I need more veggies. I've got my proteins down pat. And I'm finally managing to down 8 cups of water...almost a day without feeling logy. I know cheat days aren't bad where you have something 'not so good for you' as long as you don't do it every day. Maybe once or twice a month. But let me tell you on days when I just don't care...not so good. Haha. My sister has a bag of mini eggs in our kitchen and I've been snacking on those a lot (I've stopped 3 days straight now...yay me!) but I try to keep chocolate away from our kitchen. I will sometimes fulfill my craving for chocolate with Nutella though. That stuff is gold. But still prolly not great for you.

I guess I'm just wondering if it is bad to be over in sugars even if it is in natural sugars. I have heard two varying opinions. So not sure what to go by. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to exchange veggies for a snack instead of fruit. But I like my fruit :P
This discussion has been closed.