Tight Leg Muscles

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
So my exercise consists of a lot of walking. I've noticed (especially during a 2mi walking video I do) that my calf muscle, especially in my left calf is really tight. They both are tight when I walk outdoors or indoors but worse during that video. The video is called Family Walk with Leslie Sansone. It's amazing!

Anyway, question. Why are my calves feeling so tight? Is it because they are being used? Building muscle? Tired? Should I give it a rest. Today I did my 2mi video and I also went walking at a park at their trails for 45 mins.

Replies

• sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Are you properly stretching before and after your workouts and walks? Its always essential. That and drinking your water. Simple calf stretches will help relieve that tightness you're feeling. Make sure you give your legs a bit of a rest, so you don't have your muscles spasm.
  • Mindow
    Mindow Posts: 8
    Options
    It could have something to do with the way your foot structure is. I have that problem, due to flat feet... Hubs has that problem due to high arches. The solution we came to was getting SuperFeet inserts for our sneaks. Do you have a FleetFeet near you? They can help figure out which insert is right for you
  • resptech97
    resptech97 Posts: 147
    Options
    Are you properly stretching before and after your workouts and walks? Its always essential. That and drinking your water. Simple calf stretches will help relieve that tightness you're feeling. Make sure you give your legs a bit of a rest, so you don't have your muscles spasm.
    Great advice!!
  • eeeekie
    Options

No not stretching...just walking =\

What kind of stretching should I be doing? Examples?
  • eeeekie
    Options
    It could have something to do with the way your foot structure is. I have that problem, due to flat feet... Hubs has that problem due to high arches. The solution we came to was getting SuperFeet inserts for our sneaks. Do you have a FleetFeet near you? They can help figure out which insert is right for you

I have flat feet also. This could be part of it but I think it's because I don't stretch! ugh lol

I don't think we have that shop here? I'm not sure but I've never heard of it.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching properly before and after exercising?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Cross post!

Put one foot quite a way behind the other , bend the front knee, keeping the back foot flat on the floor to stretch the calves, then repeat on the other side. Put one foot directly behind the other and sit down on the back foot so there's no weight on the front foot, repeat on other side.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

No not stretching...just walking =\

What kind of stretching should I be doing? Examples?

You NEED to stretch, no matter what type of work out you are doing. When you work out, your muscles get micro-tears in it, which help to build up more muscle. Improper stretching can tear the muscle fibers more than they should, which causes injury (strains). Simple calf stretches could just be lifting your toes and putting the ball of your foot against a curb, keeping your heel on the ground, and you will feel the stretch. To increase the stretch, bend your other knee slightly. Squats stretch your calves, as well as lunges.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stretching is SUPER important. I always stretch after my workout for at least 20mins and then again at night just for sh*ts and giggles. All body parts too, not just the ones you have worked.

http://www.mydr.com.au/sports-fitness/stretching-an-illustrated-guide

A very simple guide to some easy stretches.

Stretching before bed also helps you sleep better.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes- stretching is soooo important! I can't believe I never told you that! Probably because most of my workout videos have built in warm up stretches. Go on youtube, look for hamstring stretches either standing or sitting on the ground works- my legs kill if I don't stretch them out.

Also- remember you saying you workout indoors barefoot right? wear those shoes- especially with ur flat feet! I got insoles for my shoes for $10 at walmart and SOOO much better!
  • Mindow
    Mindow Posts: 8
    Options
    Yah, Stretching is definitely key. I also just picked up a "Tiger Tail" to massage the cramping out of my legs and so far it's worked like a charm.

I think if you check out www.superfeet.com you might be able to get more info on the inserts. :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • vitosbud
    vitosbud Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ususally at the end of the Sansone dvds she includes stretching... start there if you're unsure how to do them :)