BMI: is it reasonable?

Options
I was looking at my BMI and it states that for my height I should be around 130 lbs. I couldn't believe it! In my opinion, If I was to be 130 I would look too skinny for my body type! Does anyone agree that BMI calculations are unreasonable??

Replies

• paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    I think they are approximate. It's all according to your body size, frame, etc.
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    I agree with you. If I weighed what my BMI recommends, I would be a walking stick.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    They're just a guideline, not the be-all end-all of how much you should weigh. For example, my family has really heavy bones, so my mother keeps her weight slightly higher than recommended. She would look like a skeleton if she went any lower!
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nope they are not!!!. I had my body fat tested and what is considered a healthy weight/body fat for me does not agree with the BMI charts.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Personally I think I would look too big at the bmi I'm supposed to be at
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    BMI is so out of whack... I would completely disregard it.

I read a post that said that Reggie Bush of the New Orleans Saints would be considered morbidly obese by BMI standards. Uh huh? Right...

BMI has no way to differentiate between builds, or bone structure or muscle mass. It is strictly height to weight and is flawed.
  • Simone1970
    Options
    I'm deifnitely not a fan of BMI because as a weight lifter and former amateur bodybuilder, I was told I was obese when I had my body fat down to 12% for a competition. During these time periods I weighed 138 lbs and was down to a size 4. Being 5'6" and very muscular due to 20 years of weight/power lifting, the BMI doesn't accurately represent me at all in reagards to health and weight.

I think if you are a person with normal proportions including average muscle development the BMI can be useful. However, I feel in my case and others who are athletic the BMI is not a good way to judge yourself. My recommendation is to go on measurements, how you look in the mirror and body fat %. If you are lean/ripped with your ab muscles showing, arms toned, legs lean but toned, yet your BMI is showing you are overweight/obese, I wouldn't worry too much about the BMI number.

Just my opinion......Simone
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's a general guideline that was made like in the late 1800's and came up again in the 1970's if I remember correctly, as the story goes. The insurance industry uses it quite frequently for policies and such as it tends to be favorable to them. Health care providers still use it but probably shouldn't considering the evidence and studies done to show how it is not very reliable nor accurate. For example, Clay Matthews oh the Packers is 6'1 and 250ish or so. Those stats according to BMI would put him in the obesity range despite clearly not being obese. I wouldn't put much stock in BMI, there are much better ways to measure body fat and find what is acceptable levels of body fat at your age. Hope this helps :)
  • kpopper
    kpopper Posts: 12
    Options
    probably...i think they should update it somehow =/
    like asking what race u r, how much u exercise etc
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    they are a simple tool.
  • Hammie18
    Hammie18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BMI is just a guideline. I read somewhere that based on your race, BMI's recommendations are different. It doesn't take into account muscle mass(as evident in the Reggie Bush reference). Personally, I like using body fat calculators as an indicator for healthy weight.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    will say when I was 200 I thought 154 wasn't attainable thought I would look to skinny and now that I am past that I can see the truth, and I have another 9 pounds to go till my goal!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I was researching this very topic last night.

Body Fat Percentage = Measurement of total body composition and is the best determination of health.
    Body Mass Index (BMI) = Is a generic rating used to determine overall health risks and tends to be more generic.
  • Simone1970
    Options
    I second the Body Fat Calulators recommendation. Great way to determine your health. I also forgot to mention that the old fashioned weigh in is also a good measurement. Between knowing what your weight is, as well as your Body Fat %, you will be able to determine if you are at a healthy place in your life.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was my thinnest at 140 lbs after basic training for the army, I was always around 120-130 lbs at 5'1 so it was surprising to see 140 on the scale when I barely had any fat , I was also quite muscular so that probably has more to do with it but regardless the BMI doesn't suit me.
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I ignore BMI's completely. They don't take anything into account, muscle mass being the main one. I'm in the middle of ''healthy'' for my height, but I'm carrying a lot of extra weight that I could do without. Frame size is ignored as well. Someone with a small frame at my height & weight would look a lot bigger than I do. They're bull crap, like others have said, Body Fat Calculators are much better.
  • salcala
    salcala Posts: 19
    Options
    I used to say the same thing, "My bones and guts weigh more than they want me to", but I have seen my sister, same body build, reach her BMI goal. I do agree that it's not the best tool but it's something to work for. I not easy but if it were easy everyone would be skinny.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    probably...i think they should update it somehow =/
    like asking what race u r, how much u exercise etc
    i dont think race has anything to do with it...:huh:
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yep, agree with you! It doesn't take into account how much muscle you may have, what your bone structure is, etc....
  • Mayorga160
    Options
    Dont listen to that BMI thing lol.. i was at 5'9 at almsot 200lbs of solid, lean muscle.. and it said i was obese...