how do you run??

Options
I know its a daft question but how do you guys do it??
I,d love to be able to run but how ?
I am seriously overweight and Asthmatic and until 2 weeks ago my excersise was zero ,i have started the gym ,,but wud luv to have the freedom of running round the block ,,i did try but found it almost impossible any tips??

Replies

• MissCherrySuicide
    MissCherrySuicide Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've never run in my life. Have always had ankle, knee, was a smoker, etc.

But this year I started fresh.

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I never thought I'd ever run, but i'm running 10 minutes without stopping..... if I can do it, anyone can. And its all cause i followed the website treadmill program.
  • tarjake
    tarjake Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i dont run yet, just quick walk. when i run my gut bounces and hurts my back! but i figure another twenty pounds and i will try to run...
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start off just running at the very start of getting in shape. I would start off walking and then walking a little faster and eventually speed walking. Baby steps is the key =) Eventually you will be running a marathon. Sooner or later of course =)
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    c25k is definitely the way to go. Good luck!

(c25k = couch to 5km)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I also have ankle and knee problems. As well as a improperly healed foot fracture and hip issues. Basically, everything that says I shouldn't be running. lol

But I decided to make it a goal to run. The first time I got on a treadmill I couldn't even run a solid minute without feeling like I was gonna die. But I keep adding bits of running into walking times on the treadmill. And then I could run for longer and longer times. Then I could increase the speed and still run. And just kept pushing myself. My mantra was "don't stop because you want to, only if you have to". Meaning, even if I wanted to drop back down to a walking pace, just because I felt like I wanted or "needed" to, I didn't. I'd only drop to a walking pace if something was truly painful or I really couldn't catch my breath.

I'm now able to run for 60 solid minutes at a 5.5mph-5.7mph pace on a 1.5-3 incline. And I'm slowly trying to work up to a 10 minute mile for more than one mile at a time (I've been able to do the one 10 min mile so far, but not more...yet).

Plus I'm registered for the Disneyland 5K in September and hope to do the Disneyland Half Marathon in Sept 2012.
  • luanwarren37
    Options
    thanx i am doing the treadmill at the gym
  • wannbAhottie
    wannbAhottie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't start off just running at the very start of getting in shape. I would start off walking and then walking a little faster and eventually speed walking. Baby steps is the key =) Eventually you will be running a marathon. Sooner or later of course =)

I agree, with baby steps!! 75Lbs ago I tried running and it was so aweful I gave up. When I got my butt back in gear on MFP, I started walking at 2.7 MPH and that was fast for me, I got a work out. Before I knew it 3.7 MPH with an incline seemed like it wasn't enough, so I started to add jogging in. At first I did a couch to 5 K like program walking and jogging for weeks. It took me a while to get that mile and I am happy to say I am now signed up for my first 5K race. Take baby steps and go slow, your body will let you know when it's time; just keep pushing yourself a little more with each step. YOU will get there.
  • TeriTee
    TeriTee Posts: 38
    Options
    I definitely could not have started with C25K - I used this & went from barely running a minute straight to doing half an hour three times a week: http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm
  • goldiecurl
    Options
    I felt exactly the same, and then someone told me it is important to focus on your breathing! Once I had sussed this I was able to push myself further and further!! Nice controlled breaths, in through the nose and out of the mouth!! Give it a go!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program.

If you try the first day of the program and find that to be too difficult (which is possible if you were really inactive before), then try walking slowly on the 'walk' portions and briskly on the 'run' programs while you are still building your endurance. As that gets easier, try jogging on the 'run' portions.
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    one day at a time. I started not being able to run around the track, and did a walk-run...each day increase the time you run a little more. it hurts a lot at first, but after a year or so you notice you can go 3 miles without that pain! It's amazing! cross training helps a lot too.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Start by walking and increase the duration - only when you have got used to that try short periods of jogging, and I mean short. C25K is good, and you can stay in the same week as long as you need to befor moving up...

regards, David
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Run as much as you can. Walk for a bit. Repeat.

Do it again after a day's rest, and try to do better.:)

When I first started, I struggled to run for thirty seconds. It gets easier.
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    C25K, Definately.

I started running using the Couch to 5K progam. It works and you can adapt it. If you are having difficulty finishing the workouts in any particular week, you just do that week until you are able to finish it.

Good luck
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am also asthmatic, and I do find the first mile a bit of a killer still, but after that your lungs open out and I have found running has helped my asthma massively. I haven't had any kind of problem since December, and can even run without taking my inhaler first now.
    Just start small. Very very slow. You will go no faster than walking pace to start with, just try to keep it up, very slow for 15 minutes, small steps. You'll find in no time your stamina will increase.