Veganism!

Options
After reading some stuff and looking into some more, I've decided I want to be vegan/vegetarian. Has anyone got any pointers for someone thats just deciding this?

Replies

• healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a new vegan! Feel free to ask me questions.
  • peachletcream
    Options
    Do you basically just eat vegetables and thats it?
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. Have been for 34 years. I eat lots of vegetables but also fruit, nuts, pulses, soya and quorn and dairy produce (free range). There are so many alternatives now compared to when I first turned vegetarian. Add me and take a look at my dairy anytime. Rick
  • peachletcream
    Options
    the only thing i think ill have problems with is milk.. i love milk : /
  • FreyaDH
    FreyaDH Posts: 31
    Options
    Quorn is an amazing subsitute for meat and they sell it in lots of different forms, like chicken-style pieces for things like stir fry's and fillets for casserole's etc. Tofu is also really nice (but sometimes hard to know how to use/cook - check the internet for recipes) I went to a chinese buffet the other week and they did an amazing tofu dish! Vegetables, nuts, fruit, salad, soya milk. I find sweet potatoes really good instead of jacket potatoes (with jackets i always want cheese but with sweet potatoes you don't need it, it tates great on its own). Feel free to ask me anything else :)
  • simplepuremaddness
    simplepuremaddness Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i have been a vegetarian for 7 years :) Its great :D giving up milk is the hardest i would say as soya milk does not taste the best in a cup of tea :) but you get used to it :) xx
  • simplepuremaddness
    simplepuremaddness Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    also if you go on VIVA.com there is a vegan/vegetarian starter pack that you can have sent (free) to you which gives you loads of tips :D
  • peachletcream
    Options
    thanks gaiz :D
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    Well I suggest going vegetarian first! Just substitute anything meat you usually have for quorn products! For example tonight my family are having cottage pie and I am having quorn cottage pie! :) It's so simple nowadays with all the substitutes! vegweb.com have lots of recipes if you're into cooking!

After you've got used to the vegetarian side of things then you can think about turning vegan! If you love milk you might find it hard to substitute soy milk (as it will taste quite different!) I would suggest making the transition slowly and leave switching milk till last! Start off by buying dairy free spread instead of your usual margarine! You can find dairy free spread in sainsbury's and other supermarkets! The brand is Pure! If you have ANY questions you can ask me!!

Good Luck! You'll love it! :flowerforyou: