Fellow horseback riders?

Options
Just wondering how many people out there also ride horses, and what discipline do you ride?

I've been riding since I was really, really young and I don't know what I'd do without it. Not only does it keep me sane, it is an amazing way to keep in shape depending on what kind of riding you do.

I rode english for 8 years or so, went to barrel racing [which I still do], and then when I was around 14 discovered endurance riding and haven't looked back.

People scoff at riding as exercise, saying the horse does all the work...they have no idea. I used to wear a bodybugg, and it was insane how many calories I would burn on even an hour conditioning ride!

I rode 5 horses yesterday for work, and even after putting the time into the exercise counter here on MFP, and being very conservative and putting in less than I really did - I burned a crazy amount.

I'd love to add more friends who ride!

Also, what else do you do besides riding? Do you go to the gym to help your riding? Or just use riding as your exercise?

I used to run a 4 minute mile, I want to get back to that. I've been going to the gym to get in better shape to HELP my riding. I expect my horse to be in good shape, and trot for hours over long distances, I should be able to get down on the ground and run next to her to give her a break for a few miles!

Replies

• MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I own two horses but they both retired young due to illness so are both garden ornaments now.

Really miss riding as it is great exercise and such good fun!
  • FierceFeline
    Options
    Please add me! :) I am looking for horsey friends (this applies to everyone else too!)

I ride English, though when I ride it's out of hobby. I don't compete or do anything local since I am still a newbie and learning. It's always been my dream to ride regularly as I never had access or the means to get a horse. I got my first horse this past July (a 12 year old standardbred mare) and then acquired my second in November (a percheron gelding).

Horses are my therapy and keep me sane! They definitely are a lot of work whether you're riding -using tons of core muscle- or tacking up/muching because of moving around so much. People who don't ride, should, and then see how tiring it is :D:D
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have my own horse, i did have two but i had to have one put to rest the other year as she sufferd with choke & the vets could not get it unblocked, she was a Thoroughbred, ex-racehorse and she was only 11, so that was very sad as i only had 2 years with her :'(

I now share with mum (we have had our lad for 16years) we have a Hunter X Irish Cob and he is just sooooooooo lovely, people are frightened of him because he is just so big but he is a gentle giant! I used to do XC when he was younger (he is 20 now) so now we just have a good old hack over the moors etc and he just loves it, you really wouldn't think he was 20 as he acts like a 5 years old!! Lol.

It's amazing what calories you burn with mucking out, grooming and riding! It's amazing what effort you have to put in for rising trot, canter etc etc.

I don't just use horse riding as my sole exercise, i also use the Wii Fit Plus and i have had amazing results from it, it's fantastic!!!! But i also use an exercise bike etc! I did try going to the gym, but i felt a prune around all these really toned people, i felt intimidated so haven't used a gym in a few years now!

Keep up your good work :) you will see results in no time :) x
  • Sarahf08
    Sarahf08 Posts: 6
    Options
    I also ride horses, I mainly trail ride nowdays, but I did barrel race but now just attend playdays to run poles and barrels at a cheaper competative level. I have been riding since i was 2y/o. :)

I have tried roping, didn't have the money to keep practicing, I have two horses right now, and my husband has one.

I hear all the time that horseback riding isnt exercise, but after I have a friend come over that doesn't normally ride, they are so sore the next day! I honestly think its kinda funny!! HAHA
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    used to ride, miss it. . .got big dogs instead, but not the same :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm an occasional rider, when my wife lets me borrow her horse. We live a near a big sandy beach, 1/3rd mile long, and there's nothing better than a full gallop over the sand - 1/2 hour galloping and you know you did some exercise!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have two quarter horse geldings. Due to some injuries (mine) in the past few years, I haven't been able to ride much. When my horses were younger and being ridden much more often, I competed in barrel racing and pole bending. They are mainly pleasure and trail horses now. One of them had a bad foot injury a few years ago, so I don't ride him too hard. I want to lose weight and get back into shape so I can really feel like I'm enjoying riding again. I love just going out and spending time grooming them, but it's not the same as getting out onto 350 acres of pasture and getting lost in my own thoughts.
  • noble1987
    noble1987 Posts: 132
    Options
    I dont currently own a hourse:sad: , but I have owned and shared 3 in my life... I do still go riding at my local stables every 3 months or so and I LOVE it :heart: ...if I didnt work a full time job and if I had more time and money, I would definately get another horse. :wink:

I completely understand where your coming from, the horse doesnt do all the work - I burn LOADS riding!! its a great exercise...

Claire :flowerforyou:
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am, however not at the moment as I'm at uni so not near my horse. heading back home tomorrow because he's moving so hoping to get in a little ride but I bet i'll be aching!

we don't actually do anything per say, just enjoy each other (hopefully!)

58639_433376462326_633522326_5720012_7533181_n.jpg
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love horses and love riding unfortunately I do not have a space in my backyard for a horse :-) My family owned horses when I was young and I love them to this day.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I ride. I have done many things. Dressage, jumping, competitive trail...... Currently I do the Extreme Cowboy Races. You definitely find the holes in your training.

I mostly just kick around the neighborhood.

Add me as a friend if you like.

1horsetown
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have 5 horses, 4 Arabians and my husbands old grade mare. I try to ride when I can but lately the weather has been very uncooperative.

Right now I've got one that is still pretty green and needs a lot more riding than I've been giving her and a 3 year old that needs to be started soon. I ride in a dressage saddle simply because it's very comfortable and easy to mess with. I don't really have a certain discipline I like more; I just like to ride. I use to ride bareback all the time as a teenager and my Wintec dressage saddle seems to be the closest thing to that.

Working out has helped my balance tremendously in the saddle.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    me me me! :smile:

Don't have my own horse (booooo) but my boyfriend and I ride regularly each week at a local stables on a Tuesday night :smile:

It's amazing how many calories you burn - we were doing a jumping lesson on Tuesday night and according to my FT4 I burned 507 calories (probably through a high heart rate from fear LOL).

I loooove horses and it is my ambition to own my own someday :smile:
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Lanfear. You must be a Wheel of Time fan.
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    I have a 1/2 Morgan pinto stud, just a backyard pony really. I don't have too much time for him these days, I'm doing school and I have 2 kids, but when I get a chance, I love to throw a bridle on him and go for a trail ride. He's awesome, the kind of horse that you feel very safe on, he's got some pep in his step, but he'd never do anything too foolish.

I'd love to hear from some other horsey MFP'ers, add me!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am! I teach (mostly hunters) but I am a dressage rider who is a little crazy (my pic was taken while hunting - actual hunting, not show ring hunting :wink: )

If anyone says riding isn't really exercise, I point them to my abs. While my *kitten* needs it's own zipcode, my abs are hard as steel. Pilates has NOTHING on sitting trot!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Lanfear. You must be a Wheel of Time fan.

Certainly am!!! :smile:
  • enduranceprincess
    enduranceprincess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I Ride, I actually am an endurance rider as well. I have 4 arabians and a mini. I have been trying to calculate how many calories I burn during a conditioning ride, I could only imagine how many I burn during a 50 mile ride, I dont think I will have to count calories on those days.:noway: