How much fruit do you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Unless there's a specific reason to watch your sugar (metabolic issues such as diabetes, digestive issues...), I'm only watching overall carbs, which I try to keep at about 45-50% of my calorie intake of the day.

It is true that many fruits have a lot of sugar (though berries and melons etc aren't very high), but they also contain a lot of fiber and vitamins, and do NOT package the sugar with fat.

I try to get 5-7 portions a day of fruit & vegetables, with 2-3 fruit.

Also, while it might be in some sense "good for you" to replace a portion of fruit with a portion of vegetables, it is *also* good for you to replace a serving of cake or desert or cookies with a price of fruit.
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 servings a day. I love fruit and it helps curb my sugar cravings.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sugar in fruit. This isn't the same sugar as your overly refined vitamin/mineral devoid white sugar, this is earths natural sugar. How can something that comes straight from nature be bad for us.

I'm about to finish my schooling in Holistic Nutrition, and if I can offer any advice it would be not to be scared of food that grows from the ground and we eat it as is.

If you are looking to manage blood sugars in the case of diabetes or hypoglycemia, then I would recommend yes watching your fruit intake, however dont be scare of them and cut them out completely.

There is also a good way to snack on fruits to avoid the highs and lows of sugars. Stay away from your extra sweet fruits early in the day when you are trying to regulate your blood sugar the most (i.e. banana's mango), and eat crunchier fruits and veggies in the moning. I know I had a hard time with the idea of carrots, cucumber, broccoli and cauliflower as morning snacks, but they are great for managing your blood sugar. Apples, pears, a cup of strawberries or a1/3 cup of raspberries in the morning is A.Ok.

Save your higher sugared frutis like bananas, mangos and oranges for later in the day(snack before dinner) when your blood sugars have leveled out, and you aren't going to come down from a sugar high and completely crash.

Message me for more information if you want.

~ M ~
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    I hate to say it, but the only time I eat fruit raw is when we have braeburn apples or tangelos and that is maybe a couple of times a month. My snacks of choice as the ones my doctor would flay me for. Dill pickles, carrots, sherbert, and pretzels. "grimace' the sodium is outrageous as well as the carbs. <shrug> I gave up all but one soda a day for this. (Oh yeah, add celery with cream cheese on a rare occasion) I gave up and 'orange' cheeses, I won't eat most breads. Whole grain with actual grains that you can see and home baked.

I am choosing a life style of less fat, less carbs than I used to eat, and a lot more exercize.. I am happy with this. :)
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 small banana each morning usually and either half a apple or half a orange. I tend to keep them half because it makes my fruit last longer during the week and I don't have to buy as much. But after reading all this stuff about fruit having too much sugar I may take a break and just stick my banana OR half a apple OR half a orange.